Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this expected or unexpected?
Yes. Easily explainable, very expected. 15 68.18%
No. This is unexpected. 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 PM

109 posts, read 158,789 times

Advertisements

It seems to me many of the bills put thru by the democrats had to naming schools and such. Are you saying Obama had any real bills that made it to Law that were of any substance other than naming a school or creating some sort of holiday?

Can you show us - just 3 bills that Obama put through congress where he cut taxes or something of more substance than nameing a school? And how many bills were made into law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
Not to seem apologetic, (though it'll come out that way) but traditionally junior senators play apprentice to seniors and don't author too many bills that early in their careers.

So there you go.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times
The key word in your post is

"looks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
So...proposing more legislation makes one an evil liberal?

So by your logic, working less in the Senate makes a politician a better person?

I don't know about you, but at my job the more you work, the better it looks for you. Surely the gov't is no different?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaVoter View Post
It seems to me many of the bills put thru by the democrats had to naming schools and such. Are you saying Obama had any real bills that made it to Law that were of any substance other than naming a school or creating some sort of holiday?

Can you show us - just 3 bills that Obama put through congress where he cut taxes or something of more substance than nameing a school? And how many bills were made into law?
Hmm...substance. If you read the lists, I find it difficult to imagine how many of the bills submitted by Senator Obama could be considered "lacking substance". Take for instance these few...

S.713
Title: A bill to ensure dignity in care for members of the Armed Forces recovering from injuries.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 2/28/2007) Cosponsors (34)
Related Bills: H.R.1268
Latest Major Action: 2/28/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Armed Services.

S.1084
Title: A bill to provide housing assistance for very low-income veterans.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 4/10/2007) Cosponsors (10)
Related Bills: H.R.3329
Latest Major Action: 4/10/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.

S.1817
Title: A bill to ensure proper administration of the discharge of members of the Armed Forces for personality disorder, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 7/19/2007) Cosponsors (12)
Related Bills: H.R.3167
Latest Major Action: 7/19/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Armed Services.

S.2330
Title: A bill to authorize a pilot program within the Departments of Veterans Affairs and Housing and Urban Development with the goal of preventing at-risk veterans and veteran families from falling into homelessness, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 11/8/2007) Cosponsors (1)
Related Bills: H.R.4161
Latest Major Action: 11/8/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.

S.AMDT.4330 to S.CON.RES.70 To provide an additional $5 million to the military departments' respective Boards for Correction of Military Records to expedite review of cases in which service members with combat-related psychological injuries (such as PTSD) or closed head injuries (such as TBIs) were administered discharges for personality disorders or other discharges resulting in a loss of benefits or care and seek a correction of records or upgraded discharge.
Sponsor: Sen Obama, Barack [IL] (introduced 3/13/2008) Cosponsors (3)
Latest Major Action: 3/13/2008 Senate amendment agreed to. Status: Amendment SA 4330 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.

Last edited by walidm; 07-13-2008 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 07:21 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaVoter View Post

The New York Times > U.S. > Image > Obama’s Record in the Illinois Senate

"People who complain that Barack Obama lacks experience must be unaware of his legislative achievements. One reason these accomplishments are unfamiliar is that the media have not devoted enough attention to Obama's bills and the effort required to pass them, ignoring impressive, hard evidence of his character and ability.

"Taken together, these accomplishments demonstrate that Obama has what [Kirk] Dillard, the Republican state senator, calls a "unique" ability "to deal with extremely complex issues, to reach across the aisle and to deal with diverse people." In other words, Obama's campaign claim that he can persuade us to rise above what divides us is not just rhetoric."

Charles Peters - Judge Him by His Laws - washingtonpost.com

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Why does Senator McCain have less legislation proposed than the junior Senator from Illinois in the 110th Congress? I certainly didn't expect this given the Senator's experience when I went to take a look - how about you?

I know, here's the link
->THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Fot those of you that don't know how this works, oh well.........

Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Fot those of you that don't know how this works, oh well.........
Yes, you're quite right. We did forget about those who don't know How Congressional Legislature Works!

Or maybe I'm missing the point and you were going to tell us how it works?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:51 AM

~to find out how Congress works, Just follow the first link on this thread, it goes right to the LIBRARY of Congress~

Old 07-13-2008, 08:04 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Yes, you're quite right. We did forget about those who don't know How Congressional Legislature Works!

Or maybe I'm missing the point and you were going to tell us how it works?
Not how you sponsor a bill, politics 101. BTW I am not talking Democrat versus Republican. I am talking politics. I am not a McCain supporter either which gives me an advantage of seeing how things really are.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 AM

So, politicians shouldn't sponsor Bills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections