Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:40 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times

Advertisements

McCain is eligible, there is a specific clause in the Constitution that makes him a natural born citizen based upon where he was born.

This is what the law states that protects McCain:
Citizenship Law of 1790 (Act of March 26, 1790, Chapter 3, Section 1, Statute 104) stated “the children of citizens of the United States, that may be born beyond sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens.”

Further Amendment states "you must be a natural born citizen to be president."

Obama, I am not sure if he is a natural born citizen....and it is something that needs to be addressed. There are clearly a lot of points that need to be tested to see if he really is eligible. I think you may have a point, OP.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:45 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,718 times
Anybody who thinks Obama has gotten this far without being eligible must have a brain the size of a pea...

Old 07-13-2008, 11:49 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
More people have gone far utnil something came out. If it is not according to the law .. than it should be looked at.
I expect Hillary to have some knowledge of something, since she suspended her campaign..until when?

Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
More people have gone far utnil something came out.
True, like W's excuse for invading Iraq....

Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
More people have gone far utnil something came out. If it is not according to the law .. than it should be looked at.
I expect Hillary to have some knowledge of something, since she suspended her campaign..until when?
2012, when else.

This is a dead issue. If it were valid the vetting agencies who don't even have names or official status would have stopped this long ago. This is a basic requirement and a distraction for those less policy driven.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:09 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
2012, when else.

This is a dead issue. If it were valid the vetting agencies who don't even have names or official status would have stopped this long ago. This is a basic requirement and a distraction for those less policy driven.
The US government has no obligation to check the eligibility of its potential candidates for president until the parties nominee is determined at their respective conventions.

The Democratic party has not declared thier nominee yet. From a legal perspective, John McCain is not the Republican Nominee, and Barack Obama is not the Democratic Nominee. Until they are officialy declared the nominee's, the government has no need to look into any of this information.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
Is Obama Legally Eligible to Serve as President?
I don't know.........................................BUT.. ..................

Here's a question for you . . .

Is Obama Legally Eligible to Serve as President?

SOME TIME AGO HILARY SAID SHE HAD SOMETHING ON OBAMA THAT WOULD CHANGE THE ELECTION AND THAT'S WHY SHE ONLY SUSPENDED HER QUEST FOR THE PRESIDENCY, WELL HERE IT IS.

This came from a USNA alumnus. It'll be interesting to see how the media handles this...

Barack Obama is not a legal U.S. natural-born citizen according to the law on the books at the time of his birth, which falls between December 24, 1952, to November 13, 1986. Federal Law requires that the office of President requires a natural-born citizen if the child was not born to two U.S. Citizen parents. This is what exempts John McCain, though he was born in the US Panama Canal Zone.

US Law very clearly states: '. . . If only one parent is a U.S. Citizen at the time of one's birth, that parent must have resided in the United States for minimum ten years, five of which must be after the age of 16.' Barack Obama's father was not a U.S. Citizen is a fact.

Obama's mother was only 18 when Obama was born. This means even though she had been a U.S. Citizen for 10 years, (or citizen of Hawaii being a territory), his mother fails the test for at-least-5-years- prior-to Barack Obama's birth, but-after-age-16.

In essence, Mother alone is not old enough to qualify her son for automatic U.S. Citizenship. At most, 2 years elapsed from his mother turning 16 to the time of Barack Obama's birth when she was 18. His mother would have needed to have been 16 + 5 = 21 years old at the time of Barack Obama's birth for him to be a natural-born citizen. Barack Obama was already 3 years old at the time his mother would have needed to be to allow him natural citizenship from his only U.S. Citizen parent. Obama should have been naturalized as a citizen . . .. but that would disqualify him from holding the office.

The Constitution clearly declares: Naturalized citizens are ineligible to hold the office of President. Though Barack Obama was sent back to Hawaii at age 10, any other information does not matter because his mother is the one who must fulfill the requirement to be a U.S. Citizen for 10 years prior to his birth on August 4, 1961, with 5 of those years being after age 16.

Further, Obama may have had to have remained in the USA for some time frame to protect any citizenship he might have had, rather than living in Indonesia. This is very clear cut and a glaring violation of U.S. Election law. I think the Governor Schwarzenegger of California should be very interested in discovering if Obama is allowed to be elected President without being a natural-born U.S. Citizen, since this would set a precedent. Stay tuned to your TV sets because I suspect some of this information will be leaking through over the next several days.
I actually think we should declare them both ineligible and start over. Seriously though this is stupid. I think the requirement for a US president to be a natural born citizen is long overdue to be changed. It is archaic and really stupid. JMO

Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
The US government has no obligation to check the eligibility of its potential candidates for president until the parties nominee is determined at their respective conventions.

The Democratic party has not declared thier nominee yet. From a legal perspective, John McCain is not the Republican Nominee, and Barack Obama is not the Democratic Nominee. Until they are officialy declared the nominee's, the government has no need to look into any of this information.
It would be naive to think these folks are spending Millions of dollars and this, I repeat - BASIC, requirement had not been met or was questionable. If you want to believe the Government hasn't and didn't pre-vet every single person who decided to run for the Office of President of the United States.....

Old 07-13-2008, 12:35 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Doesn't anyone actually READ the law before they post these things? I guess not. I guess they just keep repeating what others who do NOT READ THE LAW say. The law you are quoting OP is for people born in ANOTHER COUNTRY who have only one US citizen as a parent. Those born in the USA ARE automatically citizens. Hawaii IS A STATE IN THE USA. Therefore, Senator Obama is automatically a citizen and eligible to run. Go back and actually READ the law before you post these silly things.

And oh, by the way, Hillary did NOT say she had something "on Obama" and that is why she suspended instead of ending her campaign. That is just another silly internet rumour. She suspended her campaign, instead of ending it, because that way she can continue to raise money to pay off the debt she incurred while running. Once she ends it she can no longer legally raise "campaign" money.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:47 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Doesn't anyone actually READ the law before they post these things? I guess not. I guess they just keep repeating what others who do NOT READ THE LAW say. The law you are quoting OP is for people born in ANOTHER COUNTRY who have only one US citizen as a parent. Those born in the USA ARE automatically citizens. Hawaii IS A STATE IN THE USA. Therefore, Senator Obama is automatically a citizen and eligible to run. Go back and actually READ the law before you post these silly things.

And oh, by the way, Hillary did NOT say she had something "on Obama" and that is why she suspended instead of ending her campaign. That is just another silly internet rumour. She suspended her campaign, instead of ending it, because that way she can continue to raise money to pay off the debt she incurred while running. Once she ends it she can no longer legally raise "campaign" money.
a lot of people only read the 'part' of the law they 'want' to apply to the person they dont like,both mccain and obama are eligible to run and are running so both sides need to get over it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections