Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:58 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,639,206 times

Advertisements

Yeah, but what's funny is

There are no plans to force children to enter Civil Serve Academies
High Schools already require community service to graduate
The last 4? Freaking ridiculous hogwash.

No backup to ANY of these statements, and an incredible insult to anyone who suffered at the hands of Hilter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:00 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,960,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
High Schools already require community service to graduate
Really? Like all of them, or is that specific to only a few states?

Old 07-13-2008, 05:03 PM

881 posts, read 1,587,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I attended 4 public High Schools during my Junion and Sr Years. One in KY, one in TX, one in CT, and one in FL.

NONE of them required Obama-Style "public service" or any kind of community service.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,737,558 times
What a stupid thread!!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:50 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,134,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
My son just graduated from High School. I never heard of any service to graduate.

I think the point of the post was not that Hitler did it, but that all dictators, dictator wanna-be's, dictators-to-be and totalitarian governments consider propagandizing the kids to be essential. Many religions count on it as well.

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-13-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-13-2008, 05:57 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,120,811 times
I don't think repubs are too wise to start comparing Obama and Hitler.
I thnk think maybe they should study history....look into Germany in the late 1930's to see the similarities between that and the U.S. after 8 years of bushCo.

But, of course, they won't....reading and research and the thinking that goes with them is wayyyy too hard....babbling their crap is sooo much easier...

Old 07-13-2008, 05:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,542,209 times
the Obama haters are drinking the internet Kool Aid again I see. Who-Me I agree, BushCo & the Neo Cons were closer to Hitler in their fascist policies. This thread is beyond absurd but what do you expect from C-D!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:58 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,976,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
I attended 4 public High Schools during my Junion and Sr Years. One in KY, one in TX, one in CT, and one in FL.

NONE of them required Obama-Style "public service" or any kind of community service.
And that is really sad because everybody should have the opportunity to feel the satisfaction of helping out for no monetary compensation and to learn how people less fortunate than you have to live. Have you ever heard of Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts? A lot of what they do is community service. Ever hear of churches? Many churches provide help to those who need it. Ever hear of fraternities and sororities? They also help out people who need it. Ever hear of Kiwanis, Rotary Club, Lions Club? Same with them -- help for people who need it. Satisfaction gained for knowing you helped somebody.

Yes, there are some school districts that already do require community service in order to graduate (49% at the middle and high school level, 56% at the elementary level.) (http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/frss/inc/...tables_inc.asp) Obviously, this is not a new idea. School districts have learned that there are benefits to all involved when students participate in service projects. There has been found a positive link between educational achievement and participation in mandatory community service:

*Students who participated in school required community service were 22 percentage points more likely to graduate from college than those that did not and were more likely to have improved their Reading, Math, Science, and History scores.

*Similarly, students who performed voluntary community service were 19 percentage points more likely to graduate from college than those that did not.

(CIRCLE - A nonpartisan research center studying youth civic engagement and civic education. » Volunteering/Community Service Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement)

So, not only are students who perform community service helping out other people, they are helping themselves academically.

I know certain people are going to say it shouldn't be REQUIRED. Why not? It's something that is good for people who need it and good for the people who perform it. What's bad about that? Selfishness is the only thing I can see that would make people averse to it for students.

Comparing performing community service here in this country to what Hitler did in Germany is absolutely assinine and completely offensive. This really is sinking to new lows. I'm so glad the majority of people with whom I associate (and that includes many people who are Republican) don't have such backward, selfish, and ignorant thought processes as the original poster and people who actually believe him. It's sad to think that such reprehensible ideas actually exist.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:01 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,134,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
And that is really sad because everybody should have the opportunity to feel the satisfaction of helping out for no monetary compensation and to learn how people less fortunate than you have to live. Have you ever heard of Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts? A lot of what they do is community service. Ever hear of churches? Many churches provide help to those who need it. Ever hear of fraternities and sororities? They also help out people who need it? Ever hear of Kiwanis, Rotary Club, Lions Club? Same with them -- help for people who need it. Satisfaction gained for knowing you helped somebody.

Yes, there are some school districts that already do require community service in order to graduate (49% at the middle and high school level, 56% at the elementary level.) (http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/frss/inc/...tables_inc.asp) Obviously, this is not a new idea. School districts have learned that there are benefits to all involved when students participate in service projects. There has been found a positive link between educational achievement and participation in mandatory community service:

*Students who participated in school required community service were 22 percentage points more likely to graduate from college than those that did not and were more likely to have improved their Reading, Math, Science, and History scores.

*Similarly, students who performed voluntary community service were 19 percentage points more likely to graduate from college than those that did not.

(CIRCLE - A nonpartisan research center studying youth civic engagement and civic education. » Volunteering/Community Service Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement)

So, not only are students who perform community service helping out other people, they are helping themselves academically.

I know certain people are going to say it shouldn't be REQUIRED. Why not? It's something that is good for people who need it and good for the people who perform it. What's bad about that? Selfishness is the only thing I can see that would make people averse to it for students.

Comparing performing community service here in this country to what Hitler did in Germany is absolutely assinine and completely offensive. This really is sinking to new lows. I'm so glad the majority of people with whom I associate (and that includes many people who are Republican) don't have such backward, selfish, and ignorant thought processes as the original poster and people who actually believe him. It's really sad to think such reprehensible ideas actually exist.
What an offensive post.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:01 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,488,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post

My God. Imagine the youth of America, helping out in the community and doing good, instead of focusing on themselves? Wouldn't that be something?
For the record Obama's plan is to expand AmeriCorps and public service organizations for college kids who don't want to join the military to help their country and the world. McCain? He hasn't even mentioned it.

You've really gone too far Fun2Day. I should start a thread comparing McCain to Satan, citing examples such as him being red, having horns and a tail, and carrying around a pitchfork.

This is for you Fun2day:

YouTube - Billy Madison - Everyone is now dumber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections