Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 02:10 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Why all the obvious anger?

Here's a guy who has achieved his position through hard work and high ability. He isn't the presumptive nominee because he was born with all the advantages of wealth and powerful political connections. He's where he is because he's done it the American way; he's worked his way up.

Here's a guy who doesn't seem to be motivated by personal gain. After graduating at the top of his class from Harvard Law School, he was offered very lucrative positions with Wall Street law firms. He instead returned to Chicago as a community organizer among the working poor.

Here's a guy who has a vision of repairing the obvious rift in America between left and right. Who does that threaten?
They are beyond angry.

After the initial shock it just comes across as pathetic really. I don't read much of it, unless I care to mock it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 02:15 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Here's a little something for you to ponder....

Over the past eight years, Bush has given untold billions in tax breaks to corporations. Your claim is that these corporations were going to use the money to expand and create jobs.

My response is that they did just that. They created millions of jobs. In China and India. Jobs that were taken from American workers who were well paid, with insurance coverage and retirement benefits.

My question to you is: Do you think this is good for America? If so, please explain in what ways.

Because I see health care problems as a result of this. I see underemployment as a result of this. I see mortgage foreclosures as a spin-off of people buying homes and then being forced into lower paying jobs that won't support them.

But then, maybe I'm just making all this up. Me and the "liberal media."
I know all about those particular tax incentives and I think they are appaling. They were not general tax breaks. Once again you are missing the reality. These were incentives the corporations got for the purposes of meeting certain critera such as sending jobs overseas. That's a hell of a lot different than giving a general tax break. What, do you think the CEO's said "Awesome, we got a random good will tax break? let's celebrate by moving to India!!" No, they said "if we move IT to India, we'll get a huge tax break".

Now increasing taxes on corporations can only lead to similar results. One way, you make it easy for them to send jobs away. The other, you make it harder for them to keep jobs here. What you don't seem to see is that BOTH are bad and both ways lead to the same result.

What we should be doing is giving incentives and credits for keeping jobs HERE. Not taxing MORE. THAT is how the tax money benefits America and Americans.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:35 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
I know all about those particular tax incentives and I think they are appaling. They were not general tax breaks. Once again you are missing the reality. These were incentives the corporations got for the purposes of meeting certain critera such as sending jobs overseas. That's a hell of a lot different than giving a general tax break. What, do you think the CEO's said "Awesome, we got a random good will tax break? let's celebrate by moving to India!!" No, they said "if we move IT to India, we'll get a huge tax break".

Now increasing taxes on corporations can only lead to similar results. One way, you make it easy for them to send jobs away. The other, you make it harder for them to keep jobs here. What you don't seem to see is that BOTH are bad and both ways lead to the same result.

What we should be doing is giving incentives and credits for keeping jobs HERE. Not taxing MORE. THAT is how the tax money benefits America and Americans.

All this damage has been done by a Republican administration with a lockstep Republican congress. Their tax philosophy is to give advantages to the already insanely wealthy at the expense of working Americans. They've been at it for years. We see the results.

The Republicans have convinced me (after a lifetime of voting Republican) that they simply can not be trusted to govern.

Why do they hate working Americans? Why are you convinced that America's corporate owners need additional advantages?

Old 08-10-2008, 06:51 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
They don't need advantages. They need incentives to keep jobs here and pay their employees well. Raising their taxes is not going to help that cause.

I don't affiliate myself with any party, mind you. I don't trust any of them. Obama's plan here is a loser. Corporations employ average joe. Raising corporate taxes will cause corporations to take counter-measures like layoffs, stalled salaries, cut benefits. That is a disadvantage for the common people.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:08 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
Are you sure about that??

Don't you mean McSame????

You ask me if I am sure about not being threatened. I can assure you that I am not.

Throwing the "McSame" label everywhere doesn't help your side much. You really do sound like all you can add to the debate are bumper sticker lines. That's fine...I guess you are the one you've been waiting for so this type of comeback is meaningful to you.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
They are beyond angry.
They truly are. I'd go so far as to say hateful. Makes me wonder where this deep well of hatred comes from. Probably many of the worst offenders consider themselves to be "good Christians", no less.

Quote:
After the initial shock it just comes across as pathetic really. I don't read much of it, unless I care to mock it.
I think pathetic is too charitable. Putrid is more descriptive.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
They don't need advantages. They need incentives to keep jobs here and pay their employees well. Raising their taxes is not going to help that cause.

I don't affiliate myself with any party, mind you. I don't trust any of them. Obama's plan here is a loser. Corporations employ average joe. Raising corporate taxes will cause corporations to take counter-measures like layoffs, stalled salaries, cut benefits. That is a disadvantage for the common people.
Hmmm...~trying to follow, let's see if I have this right.

The Reagan era was about business, the trickle down theory, the Bush era about the same, with large tax cuts [incentives], to large Corporations to spur growth that would create jobs for the common man, increase the middle class wealth and job pool, and promote job stability. Lower taxes [larger incentives] allows Corporations to pay employees more, increase the job pool, hire and retain more employees, and combat outsourcing. Am I on track?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Quote:
The Republican answer has been to give them incentives to outsource American jobs.

Quote:
Regardless of your affiliations or lack thereof, you seem to have a default setting for "giving corporations what they want." The brutal, undeniable truth is that's exactly what they've gotten for the past two + decades. And what they've done is to industrialize China and India, at the expense of the US middle/working class.

In other words, your mindset is totally out of synch with events of the past quarter century. But it's understandable that you'd keep coming back to it, because talk radio is full of sychophants who keep repeating that old mantra like it was true. And uninformed or incurious individuals assume that what they're hearing from these talking heads is accurate.

They lie. They're pushing an agenda that requires some degree of public support. Folks like you provide it.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Why all the obvious anger?

Here's a guy who has achieved his position through hard work and high ability. He isn't the presumptive nominee because he was born with all the advantages of wealth and powerful political connections. He's where he is because he's done it the American way; he's worked his way up.

Here's a guy who doesn't seem to be motivated by personal gain. After graduating at the top of his class from Harvard Law School, he was offered very lucrative positions with Wall Street law firms. He instead returned to Chicago as a community organizer among the working poor.

Here's a guy who has a vision of repairing the obvious rift in America between left and right. Who does that threaten?
Obama threatens the very notion of who does and does not wield power and influence in America.

We--all of us--depend in one way or another, on the creation of an economic climate that benefits "us". Obama threatens to change that climate for the benefit of the many.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:53 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
The Republican answer has been to give them incentives to outsource American jobs.
Do you have documentation of any of these incentives to outsource jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections