U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2008, 02:39 AM
 
Location: North Side of Indy, IN
1,965 posts, read 2,424,507 times
Reputation: 655

Advertisements

Do the political and military histories, schools attended, degrees earned, career histories, corporate affiliations, memberships to organizations, personalities, and/or physical attributes of the candidates' wives have anything to do with the electability of the candidates, or are these things just media "side stories" bearing no real significance to the election? Do most voters consider these wife-related things when choosing a candidate to vote for, or do they only care about the actual candidates themselves?

Last edited by Politico; 07-15-2008 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: re-worded for clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,129,452 times
Reputation: 645
If they choose to open their mouths, then they are fair game. Obama has criticized the media for attacking Michelle, but the minute she opened her mouth and got all political, that is the minute she became fair game. Had she been quiet (seen, not heard) then she would have been off limits. You cant spread a message and expect no response/criticism.

Same with Cindy, but I think she and her husband both understand this philosophy. Its Michelle and Barack who seem to be deeply offended when anyone says anything wrong about Michelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 03:13 AM
 
Location: North Side of Indy, IN
1,965 posts, read 2,424,507 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
If they choose to open their mouths, then they are fair game. Obama has criticized the media for attacking Michelle, but the minute she opened her mouth and got all political, that is the minute she became fair game. Had she been quiet (seen, not heard) then she would have been off limits. You cant spread a message and expect no response/criticism.

Same with Cindy, but I think she and her husband both understand this philosophy. Its Michelle and Barack who seem to be deeply offended when anyone says anything wrong about Michelle.
I agree, for the most part.

But, regardless of whether the candidates' wives speak publicly, I actually meant- "Do the schools attended, degrees earned, career histories, political and military histories, corporate affiliations, memberships to organizations, physical attributes, and/or personal traits of the wives have anything to do with the electability of the candidates? Or are these things only relevent to side stories in the media? Do most voters care about these things when choosing a candidate, or do they only care about the actual candidates themselves?"

I'll edit my original post to reflect such.

Last edited by Politico; 07-15-2008 at 03:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 03:36 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,129,452 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I agree, for the most part.

But, regardless of whether the candidates' wives speak publicly, I actually meant- "Do the schools attended, degrees earned, career histories, political and military histories, corporate affiliations, memberships to organizations, physical attributes, and/or personal traits of the wives have anything to do with the electability of the candidates? Or are these things only relevent to side stories in the media? Do most voters care about these things when choosing a candidate, or do they only care about the actual candidates themselves?"

I'll edit my original post to reflect such.
In that case, no; the wives credentials do not matter at all (unless it is something REALLY negative in their past). BUT, they are fair game if they decide to go public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 04:09 AM
 
5,527 posts, read 8,967,061 times
Reputation: 1860
I say who cares but it's still fun to poke fun at them. I am wondering if we will ever see anyone run who is not married. I wold like to see a Bachelor in the White House who does not have to worry about being nagged by his wife about the phone ringing at 3am or his sicks being left in the Oval Office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
8,388 posts, read 8,337,704 times
Reputation: 4070
Default How important do you think the candidates' wives are in a Presidential election?

Almost inconsequential.

The spouse might be able to anger a few prospective supporters, but in no way gathers undecideds to her hub's corral. But not enough to make any substantive difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 06:53 AM
 
Location: West Texas
2,441 posts, read 5,369,148 times
Reputation: 3108
To be honest, and not sound too much like parotting what's already been said.. if I wife is going to campaign for her husband and open the box.. then it's not for her to close it. You can't say... "I'm going to tell you why to vote for him... but don't say anything bad back." They are under the same scrutiny, in my opinion, as anyone else on the campaign trail in the official candidates election team.

But, having said that, I don't think they can really garner votes (in any significant numbers, anyway) for their husband... but they can lose votes for them. Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Uptown
645 posts, read 820,046 times
Reputation: 201
Does one care what covered dish Cindy brought to the last bridge club party? Or what thought-provoking 300+ page dissertation that Michelle penned. Hmmmm... Let's see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM
 
7,987 posts, read 11,221,813 times
Reputation: 2708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post

But, having said that, I don't think they can really garner votes (in any significant numbers, anyway) for their husband... but they can lose votes for them. Is it worth it?
True. In the case of Obama, Michelle seems to be much more of a liability than an asset. She just doesn't come across as a nice person. People take an instant dislike to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Texas
35,216 posts, read 19,277,067 times
Reputation: 20836
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
True. In the case of Obama, Michelle seems to be much more of a liability than an asset. She just doesn't come across as a nice person. People take an instant dislike to her.
You sound like you're describing Hillary Clinton. Who went to become... oh, wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top