Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,444,943 times

Advertisements

“Does it frost Jackson, Jesse Jackson, that someone like Obama, who fits the stereotype blacks once labeled as an Oreo — a black on the outside, a white on the inside — that an Oreo should be the beneficiary of the long civil rights struggle which Jesse Jackson spent his lifetime fighting for.”

Breitbart.tv » ‘Black on the Outside’: Talk Show Host John McLaughlin Calls Obama ‘Oreo’

Or the news article here below,

Talk Show Host John McLaughlin Calls Obama ‘Oreo’ - America’s Election HQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,894,254 times
We have come full circle...............We are back to Obama "not being black enough"

So he is not black enough but has radical black supremacist views.

He is Muslim plant, but also a follower of Christian radicals.

Some people need to make up thier minds.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:11 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,935,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
We have come full circle...............We are back to Obama "not being black enough"

No different than the Democrats in NJ who tell me that McCain is "way too old" who are going to turn around and vote for an 86 yr old Democratic Senator for the state. People will tell you whatever is convienent to make their case.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,169,949 times
funny how many want to smear the candidates. the candidates are not doing it they both are calling for dignity and respect. bravo.as to jessie jackson, he is a skilled politican you dont get that far in that life leaving the mike on, he got set up.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,047,164 times
I thought he was supposed to be a 'reverend'.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:33 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,723,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post

That was precisely the point that McLaughlin was making, namely, that Jesse was accusing Obama of acting white by his bashing black men. And he was asking if that remains a valid issue for some black voters now that Obama has secured the nomination.

By the way we object to racial stereotyping only when it involves Black liberals. Black conservatives are fair game. When former Lt. Gov. of Maryland Michael Steele, (who is black and a Republican) was running for the Senate in 2006 he was routinely pelleted with Oreo cookies when he gave a speech. Not a problem, right?

Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,894,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
That was precisely the point that McLaughlin was making, namely, that Jesse was accusing Obama of acting white by his bashing black men. And he was asking if that remains a valid issue for some black voters now that Obama has secured the nomination.

By the way we object to racial stereotyping only when it involves Black liberals. Black conservatives are fair game. When former Lt. Gov. of Maryland Michael Steele, (who is black and a Republican) was running for the Senate in 2006 he was routinely pelleted with Oreo cookies when he gave a speech. Not a problem, right?

I deeply have a problem with that. I hate the hold idea of "acting black" or "acting white".

Due to using the English language as it was meant to be spoken, I have been accused of "acting white" for much of my life, even by family.

I find it demeaning to all blacks (or any person)to assume (by any person regardless of color) they should or are required to think, speak or act in any fashion.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:50 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,934,744 times
It's deeper than that, though. Unfortunately hypocrites speak louder than most. I'm white and heard for years from other whites that blacks bring it upon themselves to be treated differently. From the way they talk... to the way they dress... to the way they act. Now there's a man who dresses, acts, and talks white... and the people are calling him an Oreo. What the heck to people want?

I'm not voting for him... but give the man a break. Who cares what color his skin is?... who cares how he speaks? Are the words and thoughts that come out intelligent? Listen to what the man has to say, and make your own decision on whether he provides an answer you agree with to the issues that are important to you. I don't agree with his position on the war or on taxes. And those are my two biggest issues. So, he doesn't get my vote. But it has nothing to do with how he talks.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:55 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,177,914 times
I'm a pretty big McLaughlin fan. Watch the McLaughlin Group a lot. I'm a bit surprised by his comment. Pretty ignorant thing to say. Seems like something Buchanan would say.

Well to be fair, after reading the second article more, this possibly might be taken out of context. Had to watch the show to get a fair idea of what was said.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,047,164 times
My best friend (high school, college, suitemate and later next door neighbor) was also called an 'oreo' by others (yep some in his family - now they need a helping hand with the $ he makes). And I had a self-described "Tex-Mex" friend who was called, "cocoanut". He also makes the bucks now and he still gets people angry with him because he doesn't speak Spanish.

I can see if Obama was trying to hang with some people (and he wasn't running for Prez) that he would probably be called the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections