Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:57 AM

540 posts, read 962,776 times

Advertisements

This thread is ridiculous, but I did want to comment on the article without starting a new thread. I don't understand the logic that an average Muslim would find the picture offensive. Perhaps a militant Black Panther type would since that is what the Obama's were being portrayed as. I think Obama was just taking the opportunity to be ultra-culturally sensitive to win som brownie points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I read the article and Obama does not say "This is offensive to Muslims" but what he was "quoted" as saying was:

"You know, there are wonderful Muslim Americans all across the country who are doing wonderful things," the presidential candidate told CNN's Larry King. "And for this to be used as sort of an insult, or to raise suspicions about me, I think is unfortunate. And it's not what America's all about."
AGAIN, am I the ONLY one shaking my head about how the much vaulted HARVARD GRAD, "Editor of law review," failed to pick up on the cartoon's message and MOCKING of the very "suspicions" the cartoon depicted?!!?!

HARVARD.

But oh, yeah, he's SMART!! The difference between "book smart" and "common sense" reals its ugly head once again (and no, that's not a cheap shot at Michelle Obama).

Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Sometimes I don't think people actually read the articles they post.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
CHICAGO - Democrat Barack Obama said Tuesday that the New Yorker magazine's satirical cover depicting him and his wife as flag-burning, fist-bumping radicals doesn't bother him but that it was an insult to Muslim Americans.
Typical passive aggressive Obama behaviour. He never says the nasty stuff that's on his mind, but he lets his campaign staff and his supporters throw the dirt. Now he is trying to stir up the Muslim Americans to attack the New Yorker Magazine for him. Of course the magazine cover bothers him, it bothers and annoys him a lot. And he knows that it's going to cost him more campaign money to make more ads to battle the misconceptions about him.

A normal reaction would be if he said he found the cover truly funny and that it was only satire, or he could have said that he was bothered by it and disappointed by the magazine. I find that his official statement about the magazine cover is untrue, overthought, written by his staff and... completely rings false to me.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
AGAIN, am I the ONLY one shaking my head about how the much vaulted HARVARD GRAD, "Editor of law review," failed to pick up on the cartoon's message and MOCKING of the very "suspicions" the cartoon depicted?!!?!

HARVARD.

But oh, yeah, he's SMART!! The difference between "book smart" and "common sense" reals its ugly head once again (and no, that's not a cheap shot at Michelle Obama).
In today's society satire is not as loved as it once was. Too many people are sensitive pansies and when running for President, you have to appease to voters. If he was to come out and say "That was some funny $hit man" he would look like he agreed that having a Muslim president is a horrible thing, that Muslims are crazy terrorists and that the magazine, even though it was trying to make a joke, was correct in assuming so. I guess you have never heard of public perception?

Look at the people in the media who have made jokes about race (Don Imus, Kelly Tilghman, Fuzzy Zoeller, Jimmy "The Greek" and many others). Are you seriously that dense to think that he wants to be a part of that crowd that thinks making jokes at the expense of a race, religion or culture is funny WHILE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT is smart? You have absolutely no idea what the man is thinking...just like with all candidates they say one thing but think another. You think John Mccain really wants to keep fighting this war for democracy and to prevent terror or do you think he wants to just nuke the entire middle east, take the oil and say **** the world we have it now? If anyone was really interested in fighting terror and finding Bin Laden they would grab Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Afghanistan by the collar, slam them against the wall and say "give me Bin Laden or be a parking lot".

Oh yeah....and it's funny after reading your post that YOU talk about having common sense.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Look at the people who make fun of Bush and he belongs to many groups. In the end it is what peole accept and people have long ago accepted these type of politcal cartoons.

Last edited by texdav; 07-16-2008 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
I don't understand the logic that an average Muslim would find the picture offensive.
A Muslim would find the cartoon offensive and hurtful because front and center among its collection of symbols that push the buttons of the anti-Obama hate-mongers is Obama dressed in Islamic clothes - the artist's shorthand for the "Obama is a closet Muslim Jihadist" rumor/belief. That would offend the average Muslim - to be reminded that his culture's way of dress signifies terrorism to many people.

That's what he was talking about. He wasn't trying to "score cultural brownie points"!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Excuse me!!! Please don't put thoughts in my head that are not there! I have no use for Nobama, Muslims or the Islamic religion! This is just another example of Nobama and his boot lickers pandering to the Muslims/Islamics and the Black voters that they represent! Next time, please let me do the thinking for me!
and christians are better? where do you think it was started europe? theres alot of stuff in christianity people dot even follow those are called hypocrits, politicians use christianity as a political ploy but dont even follow all the teachings wth!

its better to be a radical christian fascist than a muslim since the founding american terrorist were devout christians huh

land of the free? free to practice any religion? people should question that

Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,748 times
How was it an insult to Muslim Americans? Does Obama think they'd be offended if Obama was Muslim? Make no sense to me. Remember all the filthy things done on other candidates and sitting Presidents. Did they make a big deal about them? No. Obama needs to toughen up. No double standards, please..............

Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
And as I said, ultimately, it's a cartoon, it's not where the American people are spending a lot of their time thinking about."
Obviously he doesn't spend too much time on CD - that's all the American people are spending their time thinking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections