Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:31 AM

509 posts, read 691,477 times

Advertisements

Like most things, the definition of conservatism, for that matter liberalism is relative and changes over time.
I may be wrong by your standards, but Ronald Reagan was considered a conservative by many.
He thought...

Conservatism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An icon of the American conservative movement, Reagan is credited by his supporters with transforming the politics of 1980s United States, galvanizing the success of the Republican Party, uniting a coalition of economic conservatives who supported his economic policies, known as "Reaganomics," foreign policy conservatives who favored his staunch opposition to Communism and the Soviet Union over the détente of his predecessors, and social conservatives who identified with Reagan's conservative religious and social ideals. Reagan, in attempting to define conservativism, said: "If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals -- if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is."[9]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:38 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times
This thread title is lie. Then it ( the thread) turns into a poster on trial. CD never fails.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
I guess, It would something new for those of you who support this administration.

For those who don't follow current events, the Bush administration has continuously denounced talking to Iran as weak as he did with North Korea.
North Korea then set off 2 nukes, then Bush decided to talk and worked a deal with them.
Having apparently learned a lesson Bush has now decided it may be worth talking to Iran.
There's talking and then there's talking. Madaleine Albright talked up a storm with the little dictator of North Korea and then toasted him with a glass of champagne even as her pocket was being picked. Presumably that is the kind of diplomacy that Obama would use as a model. On the other hand there is diplomacy that yields real results and I don't mean a propaganda coup for our enemies. I don't think Obama, as naive as he is, knows the difference.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
There's talking and then there's talking. Madaleine Albright talked up a storm with the little dictator of North Korea and then toasted him with a glass of champagne even as her pocket was being picked. Presumably that is the kind of diplomacy that Obama would use as a model. On the other hand there is diplomacy that yields real results and I don't mean a propaganda coup for our enemies. I don't think Obama, as naive as he is, knows the difference.
This is all "I don't think" and "presumably."

"Obama would offer the Iranian regime a choice. If Iran abandons its nuclear program and support for terrorism, we will offer incentives like membership in the World Trade Organization, economic investments, and a move toward normal diplomatic relations. If Iran continues its troubling behavior, we will step up our economic pressure and political isolation. Seeking this kind of comprehensive settlement with Iran is our best way to make progress."

How is this a bad thing. Bush is trying it now as we speak. For a change.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:28 PM

509 posts, read 691,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Maybe things could have been done without so much yacking but Madaleine Albright did keep him from exploded any nukes. Bush did not.
Another point I think is essential is every time you put the big tough guy of threatening war & then back down as Bush has done twice. The US looks weaker because of it.

The argument can easily be made that this type of threat then talk motivates those around the world, since they perceive the US as having back down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections