Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,046 times

Advertisements

Anyone here think that the electoral process is unfair or otherwise messed up?

I personally don't like the idea of having the candidate who receives the majority of votes in a state winning all of the electoral college votes from that state. Seems to me the other (potentially) 49% of the population should be represented too. It would increase exposure (and therefore impact) of less popular candidates because they'd have a visible impact on elections, and the will of the people would be better represented. People would pay more attention to the Ron Pauls and Dennis Kuciniches, instead of feeling like the only "useful" vote was for the dem or repub nominee.

I'm also a bit shaky about the overrepresentation of smaller population states. Federalism is good for a lot of things but it doesn't really make sense to me for a RI voter to be more important than a CA voter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:33 AM

159 posts, read 575,298 times
I know that not very many people will agree with me about this, but I think we should just leave it up to a group of superdelegates to elect the president. The 50 governors, 100 senators, and 435 house reps could be the superdelegates.
There are too many stupid voters who have no clue about any of the issues and it is causing us to elect terrible leadership. I'd rather just leave it up to a group of people that actually understand the issues.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 AM

540 posts, read 962,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
I know that not very many people will agree with me about this, but I think we should just leave it up to a group of superdelegates to elect the president. The 50 governors, 100 senators, and 435 house reps could be the superdelegates.
There are too many stupid voters who have no clue about any of the issues and it is causing us to elect terrible leadership. I'd rather just leave it up to a group of people that actually understand the issues.

Have you seen some of the idiots (not people I disagree with - but, truly stupid people) that get elected to the House of Reps...You really want to give them that much power?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Have you seen some of the idiots (not people I disagree with - but, truly stupid people) that get elected to the House of Reps...You really want to give them that much power?
Yeah but remember, it's the same people choosing the Governors, Reps, and Senators who are choosing the President.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 AM

159 posts, read 575,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post

Thats true in some cases, but you can also say the same thing about the majority of people in the general public that show up to vote. How many Obama supporters can actually give you an intelligent answer for why they are voting for him? They don't care about things like national security, foriegn relations, military, energy plans, or years of political experience. They just want a young guy that can preach about "change."
I would rather let the president get elected by a group of people who actually understand all of the issues.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Sure, we could do that - divide the electoral votes based on popular vote. You have a perfect example of what an absolute MESS that would create - the democrat primary process.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Sure, we could do that - divide the electoral votes based on popular vote. You have a perfect example of what an absolute MESS that would create - the democrat primary process.
I know... all that fair competition is terrible for our country.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I know... all that fair competition is terrible for our country.
Fair, huh?

You do realize that the VOTERS are not the ones that elected Obama, don't you?

It was the party insiders and heavyweights who put him over the top. Just get out your calculator and take away all those SD's - Obama does not have enough delegates to earn the nomination.

That's fair to you?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Fair, huh?

You do realize that the VOTERS are not the ones that elected Obama, don't you?

It was the party insiders and heavyweights who put him over the top. Just get out your calculator and take away all those SD's - Obama does not have enough delegates to earn the nomination.

That's fair to you?
More so than ignoring up to 49% of the population, yeah.

I didn't say the dem primaries were flawless, either. The most "fair" thing I can think of is either straight popular vote or a not-winner-takes-all electoral college that weights votes to the smaller states.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 AM

Oh, I see. The "smaller" states - those with less population than the coasts, who just happen to be "mostly" RED states. I get it now. You'd like THOSE states to have LESS of an influence in the election and basically let the big states like NY,CA decide the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections