Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The guy is a clueless retard.

Of course, the MSM won't question him on this.
Ya know, an education really isn't the big scary thing republicans would have you believe it is...try it...you may like it!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
I thought republicans, conservatives always want a larger military?
A civilian military?

Okay so with your train of thought...is he pandering for the republican vote and just saying these things as a lip service?

Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Would have been helpful in Katrina. Since about half of the National Guard in the area was all deployed overseas at that point. Thanks to Bush the Moron.

Yes it would have...

So then we have all of our troops back in 16 months or so....

We will increase our spending more than both wars combined have cost so far to date every two years.....the wars are now over 7 years old....

What will all these paid people do while there isn't disasters? I know there is always work to do....but working requires budgets....although I disagree with saying we are in a spiraling hole of debt bound to kill us...the honest truth is we don't have the money to provide such things.

that basically leaves this all ass wishful thinking and playing on peoples hopes....If he is as smart as people would have you believe he knows he will never accomplish any of that.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:01 AM

NM....apparently something messed up.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 AM

351 posts, read 336,575 times
Fahrenheit 451 was one of my favorite books that I had to read in high school as FICTION! Never would I have dreamed it would become reality. Big Brother is always watching cameras on every corner (red light cameras already in many cities) and most stores have camera. The fairness doctrine we can only hear what Obama wants us to hear and he scrubs websites. This is scary.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:55 AM

365 posts, read 525,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Okay, I read the story. Doesn't bother me one bit. His comments are mostly conceptual, but that website, and many others, are wildly spinning this into some sort of sinister intent. IMO, he's talking about a civilian equivalent to the National Guard, without the tanks and APC's, who go out and fight forest fires, help with flood control, patrol the borders and free-up the National Guard for militarily-focused operations as in Afghanistan and Iraq. Having worked for the Army for 30 years back in DC, it pained me to see good military units sent out to gather up granny and her mutt every time the water came up to her steps. It is a waste of military training and personnel to do what any bubba with a bass boat could do, and probably do better, as we saw in New Orleans when regular dudes with airboats went into the 9th ward and got people out.

The negativity in people's comments stem from their being opponents of BO in the first place, not because there's any real threat here. BO also talks about public service, giving some back, and there's nothing wrong with that. It sounds to me like he intends to deliver, if he can, on things that Bush only promised, like public/private partnerships and faith-based initiatives, all of which went NOWHERE under Bush-43, it was just lip service to get the votes and money from people of faith. BO sounds like he's going to have a sort of public service corps, where you get tuition assistance (or even a full ride) in return for public service, which is a good deal, since not everyone can get into the military for health reasons, but should not be denied the equal of the GI Bill if they're able to perform good public service.

Remember too that National Security means things like FEMA, ICE, DHS, airport security, railroad & port security, etc. We don't need to put our uniformed military in those roles, and when you look at the number of civilian jobs already in DHS and its pieces, we're well on our way to quite a large number. I'd love to see THOUSANDS more border patrol types, backed up by THOUSANDS more ICE personnel around the nation to clean up our immigration disgrace.

Overall, people have taken hopeful plans and comments and tried to turn them into something sinister, but I'm not buying that line.
I jus had 2 giv u a rep Mike! Well said!

Old 07-19-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
or better yet, how about these same people actually get a job working 40 hours per week and put themselves through college like I did. I don't like the idea of giving someone a so called "free ride" through school because they did some public volunteer work. nothing is free, but then again this idea is coming from a silver spooner who never had to work for what he had. why the hell would he expect someone else to work for what they want.
R U saying dat u went 2 college? umm? Only an un-educated would think dat BO didn't hav 2 work 4 his success! jus keepin it real...

Old 07-19-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The guy is a clueless retard.

Of course, the MSM won't question him on this.
r u 4getting, this post is about Obama, not McNut

Old 07-19-2008, 12:27 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
please give me the information on barack working his way through college. you know, those private schools are expensive. I am guessing he got some help from someone, oh, and he himself admitted that he used affirmative action to the best of his ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_light View Post
R U saying dat u went 2 college? umm? Only an un-educated would think dat BO didn't hav 2 work 4 his success! jus keepin it real...

Old 07-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
please give me the information on barack working his way through college. you know, those private schools are expensive. I am guessing he got some help from someone, oh, and he himself admitted that he used affirmative action to the best of his ability.
Guessing can be a default; it's as dangerous as @ssuming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections