Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM

262 posts, read 486,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That article has no substance. "Be careful now, don't get excited, some people will still be prejudiced no matter what." Well, duh.
Oh, my gosh! You mean to tell me that white people may not take racism as seriously if Obama is elected? Well, that would be a HUGE turnaround from the last...what, 200 years? 300?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
? Do wut now?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:15 PM

262 posts, read 486,154 times
There's a part in that article that says something like if Obama is elected, then (some) white people will feel like racism is "over." That's a really stupid reason to not vote for anybody, especially since there have been whites who have felt that way since after the Civil War. I think most people are smart enough to see that voting one black man into office doesn't mean that there won't still be problems, seeing that the American power system depends institutionalized racism and sexism. Arguments like that one strike me as a scare tactic. "Ooh, don't vote for Obama, we'll have roadblocks to progress!" Well hell, we've always had that.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
There's a part in that article that says something like if Obama is elected, then (some) white people will feel like racism is "over." That's a really stupid reason to not vote for anybody, especially since there have been whites who have felt that way since after the Civil War. I think most people are smart enough to see that voting one black man into office doesn't mean that there won't still be problems, seeing that the American power system depends institutionalized racism and sexism. Arguments like that one strike me as a scare tactic. "Ooh, don't vote for Obama, we'll have roadblocks to progress!" Well hell, we've always had that.
Oh the whole article is like that. It says nothing. It's a non-article.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapaxel View Post
Name one thriving democracy in the world run by a black leader?
The closes one would be Botswana. It's mainly because they used their traditional approaches to debate and problem solving as an influence on their governing unlike the leaders of the other African countries.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
Obama is less than 50% black.
Well, the human body is about 60% water.

Water's clear.

So yeah. There's no way he could be more than 50% black.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:03 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, the human body is about 60% water.

Water's clear.

So yeah. There's no way he could be more than 50% black.
Not that it matters but he grew up white, I doubt he had many "black experiences" until the church of whats happenin now.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Not that it matters but he grew up white, I doubt he had many "black experiences" until the church of whats happenin now.
What would you consider "black experiences" and "growing up white". So he grew up not being able to dance or play sports all while sporting a small weewee. From there he joined a gang, fathered an illegitimate child while teaching himself to break dance. He then decided to try out a Jerry Curl and was hooked on this "black experience" you talked about.........once he tasted grape soda and watermelon it was over right? Does that sound accurate or do I need to throw in the drug use too?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
What would you consider "black experiences" and "growing up white". So he grew up not being able to dance or play sports all while sporting a small weewee. From there he joined a gang, fathered an illegitimate child while teaching himself to break dance. He then decided to try out a Jerry Curl and was hooked on this "black experience" you talked about.........once he tasted grape soda and watermelon it was over right? Does that sound accurate or do I need to throw in the drug use too?

Nope, white mommy, white granny, white granddaddy, white education. But hey, his father DID desert him at a young age, didn't he?

His self admitted drug abuse stands on it's own merits but I didn't bring that up, you did.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
It doesn't matter if he grew up in a predominantly white/non-black environment, his physical appearance would cause him to be treated as any other black person, thus having the typical "black-experience."

~Honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Nope, white mommy, white granny, white granddaddy, white education. But hey, his father DID desert him at a young age, didn't he?

His self admitted drug abuse stands on it's own merits but I didn't bring that up, you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections