Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I don't remember the details, but what was the Zogby poll before the last election, how close to actual election results was it?
Zogby came closest of any pollsters in 2004. His only mistake was Ohio, and I happen to think Kerry won Ohio home to the infamous Diebold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Zogby came closest of any pollsters in 2004. His only mistake was Ohio, and I happen to think Kerry won Ohio home to the infamous Diebold.

Don' forget Ken Blackwell was Chief Elections Official of Ohio and co-chair of the "Committee to re-elect George W. Bush" during the 2004 election. Gee, how what a coincidence and how convenient.

Allegations of conflict of interest and voter disenfranchisement led to the filing of at least sixteen related lawsuits naming Blackwell.

Ohio, much like Florida in 2000, was stolen by the Republicans in 2004.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:35 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
McCain's winning his party's nomination is akin to Bob Dole winning it to face Clinton's re-election. It's sort of like a "lifetime achievement award" and means that he is being led to the slaughter by his party. Look at his competition for the nomination this time: a very weak field. And it was weak because the heavyweight GOP contenders knew from the outset that G.W. Bush has so tarnished the value of the GOP brand after 8 years that a GOP candidate has NO CHANCE to win the next presidential election.

There is NO WAY that John McCain is going to win the next election.

I disagree . The first debate will be huge. If Mccain does well and makes Obama look like an experienced flip flopper he will win if Obama makes Mccain look like an out of touch flip flopper he will win.

If it was Hillary vs Mccain I would say Hillary will win but Obama vs Mccain is going to be close.

I think both men would have been smart to pick women as VP LOTS of qualified women in both parties . I dont think either will .

Old 07-23-2008, 04:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
It's rough getting around the fact that the election was certified by a Republican isn't?

The court case:

Bridges issued his ruling on June 6, upholding the election of Gregoire. He stated that the judiciary should exercise restraint; "unless an election is clearly invalid, when the people have spoken, their verdict should not be disturbed by the court."Nullifying the election, Bridges said, would be "the ultimate act of judicial egotism and judicial activism." He also concluded that according to his interpretation of the Washington Administrative Code, "voters who improperly cast provisional ballots should not be disenfranchised." He also rejected all claims of fraud and the Republican Party's statistical analysis, concluding that the expert testimony of the Republican party was "not helpful" and that the proportional reduction theory was not supported under any law in the state. Striking another blow against Rossi's court case, he stated that "the court is more inclined to believe that Gregoire would have prevailed under statistical analysis theory," rejecting the Rossi campaign's claim that improperly cast ballots led to Gregoire's victory.
Bridges also removed five votes from the final count after receiving testimony from convicted felons who had voted: four for Rossi and one for Ruth Bennett. No evidence was brought before the court of anyone illegally voting for Gregoire. The final margin of victory for Gregoire over Rossi was 129 votes.

Washington gubernatorial election, 2004 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia. An unbiased source. Tell me another one.

And Sam Reed liked life in Olympia too much to dispute the mob. Pretty rough hanging your hat on a wimp, isn't it?

You know as well as I do, friend, that the King County Democratic machine and Frank Chopp were not going to let the GOP win another close election. Funny how those King County votes just kept appearing out of nowhere.

And with the State Supreme Court packed with Bobbi Bridge and her bosom buddies, the appeal process was closed off as well.

The fascists prevailed. Hooray for you. Take Greg Nickels out for some ice cream.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Wikipedia. An unbiased source. Tell me another one.

And Sam Reed liked life in Olympia too much to dispute the mob. Pretty rough hanging your hat on a wimp, isn't it?

You know as well as I do, friend, that the King County Democratic machine and Frank Chopp were not going to let the GOP win another close election. Funny how those King County votes just kept appearing out of nowhere.

And with the State Supreme Court packed with Bobbi Bridge and her bosom buddies, the appeal process was closed off as well.

The fascists prevailed. Hooray for you.
From the Seattle Times

Bridges said there was evidence of irregularities, "as there appears to be in every election," but "not substantial evidence, by clear and convincing evidence, that improper conduct or irregularities procured Ms. Gregoire's election to the office of governor."

"There is no evidence that ballots were changed, the ballot box stuffed or that lawful votes were removed from either candidate's ballot box," Bridges said.

"There is no evidence in this record that Ms. Gregoire received any illegal votes,"
he said.

Don't know what more you want. You had a Republican Secretary of State and a trial in one of the most conservative counties in the state. Let's repeat that last quote from Judge Bridge's decision again.."There is no evidence in this record that Ms. Gregoire received any illegal votes"

Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
From the Seattle Times

Bridges said there was evidence of irregularities, "as there appears to be in every election," but "not substantial evidence, by clear and convincing evidence, that improper conduct or irregularities procured Ms. Gregoire's election to the office of governor."

"There is no evidence that ballots were changed, the ballot box stuffed or that lawful votes were removed from either candidate's ballot box," Bridges said.

"There is no evidence in this record that Ms. Gregoire received any illegal votes,"
he said.

Don't know what more you want. You had a Republican Secretary of State and a trial in one of the most conservative counties in the state. Let's repeat that last quote from Judge Bridge's decision again.."There is no evidence in this record that Ms. Gregoire received any illegal votes"
Use your head for something besides a hatrack, and let a sunbeam of honesty in. Even the lowliest Democratic operative is intelligent enough, not to mention surrounded by no one who would object, to destroy evidence or conceal illegal voting. Are you really arguing that no voting fraud took place in an election with multiple recounts, suddenly appearing ballots from the most heavily Democrat county in a bluer than blue state?

If you do, you need to visit the ward offices in North Philadelphia, or South Chicago, or any area which has been ruled by the Democrat party since World War II. They'll explain to you how it's done.

Let's just keep Washington a one-party state. It's easier that way...

Old 07-23-2008, 05:10 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
Wow, sure am surprised at how relatively close Texas is. Maybe my fellow Texans are starting to come to their senses.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Use your head for something besides a hatrack, and let a sunbeam of honesty in. Even the lowliest Democratic operative is intelligent enough, not to mention surrounded by no one who would object, to destroy evidence or conceal illegal voting. Are you really arguing that no voting fraud took place in an election with multiple recounts, suddenly appearing ballots from the most heavily Democrat county in a bluer than blue state?

If you do, you need to visit the ward offices in North Philadelphia, or South Chicago, or any area which has been ruled by the Democrat party since World War II. They'll explain to you how it's done.

Let's just keep Washington a one-party state. It's easier that way...
Oh I see your claim is that there was some secret conspiracy that stole the election from poor Dino and his BIAW friends. I guess the fact that a Republican Secretary of State and a judge didn't see it that way mean nothing.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Oh I see your claim is that there was some secret conspiracy that stole the election from poor Dino and his BIAW friends. I guess the fact that a Republican Secretary of State and a judge didn't see it that way mean nothing.
Nothing secret about voting fraud. Hence my references to its ubiquity.

And how is the BIAW worse than the WEA? At least the BIAW doesn't confiscate union dues and act as bagman for a political party.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,812 times
I always think it's interesting to see all these polls, but they mean a darned thing at the end of July. So much can happen to turn this thing around one way or another.

But it's fun. I do know that even Karl Rove has Obama over 270 at this point, but again .... really means nothing.

I agree with others that the debates will have a big impact on the election. Many voters aren't so politically nutty as we are here and really haven't given it much thought.

Truthfully, I'm amazed at how many people are already becoming disillusioned and disenchanted with Obama. It's not surprising, though, because when you put someone on that high a pedestal, there is no way he can live up to such an exalted position for any length of time.

In the end this is going to be an amazingly close election barring something huge happening that we can't even guess at.

And don't tell anyone, but I'd like the word to get out that Obama has it in the bag. That way, some of his supporters won't think it's necessary to head to the polls. I'm all for that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections