Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what people thought my postion was I'm glad it is dead. The GOP did something right and it caused the top liberals to kill it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Oh you must have missed drilling 101. BTW liberals are also jumping on board with the drilling. Just not these two clowns.

They need less than a .5% of ANWAR.
They need to start forcing oil companies to DRILL ON THEIR EXISTING LEASES before destroying any other areas.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what people thought my postion was I'm glad it is dead. The GOP did something right and it caused the top liberals to kill it.
Quote:
No im thanking them. The bill was idiotic. We live in a free market....
Sorry, but you sure seem an amateur, parroting your "free market" lines like a school child. There is NO free market when speculators rig the game to suck half a trillion dollars out of OUR pockets in a dirty deal, and it's not only oil, it's most of the commodities now (corn, wheat, soybeans, etc).

And don't for one minute think we have really free markets, we do almost as much "central planning" as the USSR did, or China does, or most any large complex nation does. Primary difference is we do the planning and let others do the execution of the plans, the USSR did the planning AND ran the industries and farms. We spend BILLIONS each year on farm supports to tweak the markets, the USSR just ran the farms directly. Different approaches, same goals (maximize output). Our planning style works better. BTW, the average farmer gets about $1M per year in subsidies (not much of a free market there, ehh?) and as a group, farmers are the HIGHEST paid bunch in the nation (per a Newsweek article last year).

Edit: BTW, here is yet ANOTHER story about speculators and market manipulators getting caught:
http://biz.yahoo.com/cnnm/080724/072408_cftc.html (broken link)

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-24-2008 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Add link to news article

Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,930 times
Quote:
Once again thanks California your great leadership!
You're quite welcome!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:37 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
They need to start forcing oil companies to DRILL ON THEIR EXISTING LEASES before destroying any other areas.
Thank you. There are TREMENDOUS existing leases, both ON and OFF shore that are yet to be worked.

Still, I'd like to see drilling in ANWR, the actual drilling area is quite tiny. If we can drill nearby at Prudhoe Bay without environmental calamity, then we can drill anywhere. If I were President, I'd let the drilling start, but I'd make the oil firms either hire the environmentalists to oversee keeping things clean, or at least allow the environmentalists regular on-site inspections to assure that we don't wreck the place. Point is to find the middle ground, something nobody wants to do today, as it seems today everyone wants everything 100% their way (i.e., NO abortions at all or ALL abortions all the time, no in-between, etc).

Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
The oil companies have 65 million acres in the US under lease right now - but if there were significant deposits wouldnt they already be tapped?

What about the Bakken oil fields in Saskatchewan, ND and MT?

"It is estimated that there are significant reservoirs of oil spread beneath the Bakken's shale. As the oil is beneath the shale rather than in it, these reservoirs are not considered oil shale. Oil was first discovered there in 1951, but efforts to extract it have historically met with difficulties. An April 2008 USGS report estimated the amount of technically recoverable oil in the Bakken Formation at 3.0 to 4.3 billion barrels, with a mean of 3.65 billion.[2] The state of North Dakota also released a report that month which estimated that there are 2.1 billion barrels of technically recoverable oil in the Bakken[3].

Bakken Formation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And what about creating state-to-state drilling laws?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Thumbs up Think about it....

Quote:
Pelosi and Reed take the bill off the table as Republicans said they will debate it only if their is drilling apart of the bill. Since the two democratic leaders are in the minority against drilling they made congress take an early vacation.

Yes the democrats are change we can believe in!

Once again thanks California your great leadership!

I suppose they'll be eating the GOP's amendments while they're on break....

Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Jesus. Is that Speculator Bill?

Old 07-24-2008, 07:13 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,977 times
Kinda like the looney liberal did with the Iraq funding, tack on a bunch of welfare freebies and take it away from our troops.

Come folks, this is easy the liberals PROMISED us they would tackle and control the oil prices, they have gone from avg of 2.05 when they took office to 5.25. Now that is progress I will tell ya!

No, liberals dont want any part of anything that will give the American people any money to spent, its an election year and they want people to lose their homes, cars etc and have no money to spend. Its just they way they are, they want everyone to be down and out so they can blame others for it.

Broken promises from the liberals again.

When the rep wanted to work on this years ago idiots like Harry Reid jumped up and down and stopped it. Why? Because it wasnt their idea.

Liberals want us to suffer so they can win, thats all.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:16 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

Yup, lets force companies to do this and save a stupid moose and a tree so humans can suffer. Just the liberal thing to do.

DRILL EVERYWHERE !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections