Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For me, it's that all of Obama's great speeches are written by other people, his speechwriting staff headed by David Axelrod. The man comes off as a total phony and puppet figure to me.
It really is striking - the difference in this guy on his "binky" and off his "binky". These soaring platitudes and rhetoric play well on the tele, but it is clear these aren't actually his "words".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 12:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
For me, it's that all of Obama's great speeches are written by other people, his speechwriting staff headed by David Axelrod. The man comes off as a total phony and puppet figure to me.
Did Reagan write his speeches? Can you say Mike Deaver? McCain should have his own and he does named Mark Salter. Is he not up to the job or is it McCain who can't do it as designed?

Michael Deaver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As Deputy Chief of Staff at the White House, Michael Deaver worked primarily on media management forming how the public perceived President Reagan, sometimes by engineering press events so that the White House set the networks' agenda for covering the president.

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm
"We have long believed that nobody in America is interested in our continent any more," von Weizsaecker said. "The appearance and the speech of Barack Obama are evidence that this preconception is false."

Whoever said this hasn't been paying attention, and proves Europeans are just as obtuse and uninformed as Americans. Obama himself wasn't interested in the European continent until he began running for President, having never visited. He was even chairman of the subcommittee on European Affairs and didn't manage to make it over to Europe.

The speech in front of the Pillar of War is a nice touch. Very "on message," lol!

1,044 posts, read 1,953,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
West coasters and latte-libs will dig this speech... and believe the Germans need to be schooled. Whereas, I think mainstream America are going to look at this and call him an elitist.
What?! No way! The people who think Obama is an elitist will continue to think that he is no matter what he does. I have no idea how this or any other speech that he makes to a large crowd in Europe could be a bad thing, he is respected by our allies, shocking I know, but that's kind of how it should be.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:15 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
mm, hmm...but this is no soccer game.
True, but they came out en masse for Hitler. Osama couldn't hardly get an applause. LOL!

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Also, remember the stagecraft here.

As they did in Oregon, there was a popular german band entertaining the crowd, with beer and brats.

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
The largest soccer (futbol) venue holds less than the capacity of the "Big House" but I figured if you like exaggerations and are used to them, we could let it slide....

Old 07-24-2008, 12:16 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Whoever said this hasn't been paying attention, and proves Europeans are just as obtuse and uninformed as Americans. Obama himself wasn't interested in the European continent until he began running for President, having never visited. He was even chairman of the subcommittee on European Affairs and didn't manage to make it over to Europe.

The speech in front of the Pillar of War is a nice touch. Very "on message," lol!
In general I wouldn't expect Senators and especially not governors to go abroad very much.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
It was interesting that commentators were saying that roles have reversed and the Obama campaign is the Republican machine of yesterday in fund raising and smoothness of operation. Yes Obama has Axelrod and Reagan had Deaver and McCain has Salter.

Now reverse it Axelrod has Obama to work with as a media entity
Deaver had Reagan to work with as a media entity
Salter has McCain to work with as a media entity

Tee hee

Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
you are wrong my friend.

Rungrado May Day Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
The largest soccer (futbol) venue holds less than the capacity of the "Big House" but I figured if you like exaggerations and are used to them, we could let it slide....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections