U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
 
8,121 posts, read 4,483,609 times
Reputation: 2246

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I hope you didnt take too much time out of your life to type all that because on your deathbed you'll wish you'd been doing something else. Romping with bunnies in a golden field, maybe, or nursing a family of sick squirrels back to health.

Do you disagree with the keynotes of that speech? What did he say that was contrary to US interests?
I didnt hear the speech, however I will say that Oblahblah's arrogance is one thing that is contrary to our interest. Many foreigners cite "American arrogance" as something they really dislike about us, and he is not helping that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 24,239,457 times
Reputation: 18973
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think it's a good thing that the US establish an atmosphere of trust with other countries, you dont think so? If Obama's not elected, it's great and historic that he had the opportunity to make that speech and the ideals he set forth are things I would hope the rest of the world will try to hold McCain to. Or at least remind him that they were articulated. And cheered.
Nicely stated, and an important point. Hope you don't mind if I quote you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:08 PM
 
13,072 posts, read 10,414,291 times
Reputation: 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I hope you didnt take too much time out of your life to type all that because on your deathbed you'll wish you'd been doing something else. Romping with bunnies in a golden field, maybe, or nursing a family of sick squirrels back to health.

Do you disagree with the keynotes of that speech? What did he say that was contrary to US interests?
Took less time to write that and felt less wasted than reading the entire speech of "Obama Blow Smoke up your ..." speech.

The speech said nothing, it was vague, merely an inspirational speech. It was filled with "hope" and "change" as I so described previously. It is a fluff speech given so many times by so many different candidates in the past.

If Bush were to give that speech, it would be ridiculed, slandered, gaffed at, but since it is the savior Obama, people eat it up the big pile of .... like it was a sweet cake at a Sunday brunch. Food for the suckers and there is one born one every minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
 
13,072 posts, read 10,414,291 times
Reputation: 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I didnt hear the speech, however I will say that Oblahblah's arrogance is one thing that is contrary to our interest. Many foreigners cite "American arrogance" as something they really dislike about us, and he is not helping that.
Here it is, have at it. Its so "hopeful" it gives me chills. Wait, nope... sec... need to hit the can. Sorry.

Full script of Obama's speech - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:14 PM
 
8,121 posts, read 4,483,609 times
Reputation: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Here it is, have at it. Its so "hopeful" it gives me chills. Wait, nope... sec... need to hit the can. Sorry.

Full script of Obama's speech - CNN.com
7 "hope"
and
1 "change"

yet I still am not convinced he can do anything that will be for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 PM
 
34,998 posts, read 32,261,046 times
Reputation: 6132
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I didnt hear the speech, however I will say that Oblahblah's arrogance is one thing that is contrary to our interest. Many foreigners cite "American arrogance" as something they really dislike about us, and he is not helping that.
this is a summary -
Obama in Berlin: We're a People of Improbable Hope - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog

here's the transcript - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/us...rssnyt&emc=rss

I hope Europeans dont view his speech or his visit as arrogant. He had this historic opportunity - was challenged into taking it in fact - and he stepped up and took it and has done an amazing job with it so far, seems to me. Who knows if he'll get another chance - he might not be elected, you know.

He reminded us we're all global citizens who have to work together. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:24 PM
 
34,998 posts, read 32,261,046 times
Reputation: 6132
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Nicely stated, and an important point. Hope you don't mind if I quote you.
Soitenly, be my guest always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:29 PM
 
Location: San Antonio North
4,148 posts, read 6,816,028 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
this is a summary -
Obama in Berlin: We're a People of Improbable Hope - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog

here's the transcript - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/us...rssnyt&emc=rss

I hope Europeans dont view his speech or his visit as arrogant. He had this historic opportunity - was challenged into taking it in fact - and he stepped up and took it and has done an amazing job with it so far, seems to me. Who knows if he'll get another chance - he might not be elected, you know.

He reminded us we're all global citizens who have to work together. That's all.
What was historic about this?

The fact that he acted like he was president?

That he lied and said he comes as a citizen of the world?

The fact that America sent a black man over seas to make a speech?

Funny Colin Powell has made plenty of speeches in other country.

Also funny Obama just could not leave "hey everyone in case you missed it I'm black" out of the speech!

Well what was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 24,239,457 times
Reputation: 18973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
What was historic about this?
It was the first time since the War on Terror that an American political leader drew a crowd of 200,000+ people and the crowd was not anti-American. If he becomes president, it will likely be noted in the history books as a turning point in international relations, like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:49 PM
 
8,121 posts, read 4,483,609 times
Reputation: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
It was the first time since the War on Terror that an American political leader drew a crowd of 200,000+ people and the crowd was not anti-American. If he becomes president, it will likely be noted in the history books as a turning point in international relations, like it or not.
Im more interested in turning points that include:

-Fixing our economy
-Restoring our freedoms
-Eliminating the waste with our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top