U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:48 PM

35,000 posts, read 22,394,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
What was historic about this?

The fact that he acted like he was president?

That he lied and said he comes as a citizen of the world?

The fact that America sent a black man over seas to make a speech?

Funny Colin Powell has made plenty of speeches in other country.

Also funny Obama just could not leave "hey everyone in case you missed it I'm black" out of the speech!

Well what was it?
Hate to break it to you, you're a citizen of the world yourself. I agree about the "I look different than" moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:50 PM

35,000 posts, read 22,394,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Im more interested in turning points that include:

-Fixing our economy
-Restoring our freedoms
-Eliminating the waste with our tax dollars.
But you didnt expect him to give such a speech there, did you? The speech he gave was entirely appropriate.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 PM

4,831 posts, read 4,136,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
In general, people like leaders more when they're doing a good job leading.
In general people like leaders that tell them what they want to hear and don't take a stand on principles. That being the case I guess that is why Obama is so well liked.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 PM

4,831 posts, read 4,136,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Which is why character slander is such a great tactic these days right? Because people really spend the time going over the issues. I mean, people don't sit in front of the idiot tube and sucker in all the claims and then emotionally conclude results based on what sally said about billy, and like billy is so cool, how could he be wrong? Like ya know?
Yep, yep yep.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:02 PM

3,964 posts, read 2,040,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
But you didnt expect him to give such a speech there, did you? The speech he gave was entirely appropriate.
You missed the point.

I was responding to the poster who said it was a "turning point in international relations"

Best way to sure up international relations is to mind our own damn business, and fix our own mess without telling everyone how they should act....lead by example.

I want someone here focusing on our major problems...not over there pretending to be president and telling everyone how great we can be. Being great isnt something you talk about, it is something that you just do.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:08 PM

And here is another reason he doesnt need to be over there with 200+ staffers trying to pretend he is the greatest thing ever:

Secret Service wants more money for candidates - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Id rather see that money spent on helping people here.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 AM

15,400 posts, read 17,499,624 times
Quote:
I want someone here focusing on our major problems...not over there pretending to be president and telling everyone how great we can be. Being great isnt something you talk about, it is something that you just do.
LOL, the irony is in American politics you can't "just do" something until you get the job... and you can't get the job until you do a lot of talking. If you want a leader who can start out by "just doing" you have to have a dictator or a king.

In this election, the realistic choice is between someone who travels to Europe and the Middle east to talk with political leaders... and someone who goes to Aspen to talk with the Dali Lama. But I'm glad to see McCain is getting a groove on--it might help his bowels if he can balance his psychic energy.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, the irony is in American politics you can't "just do" something until you get the job... and you can't get the job until you do a lot of talking. If you want a leader who can start out by "just doing" you have to have a dictator or a king.

In this election, the realistic choice is between someone who travels to Europe and the Middle east to talk with political leaders... and someone who goes to Aspen to talk with the Dali Lama. But I'm glad to see McCain is getting a groove on--it might help his bowels if he can balance his psychic energy.
by "just doing" I dont mean dictating and bulldozing to get your way. I mean hard work, partnership, and smart thinking with clear cut goals and plans to get there....put your head down and do the work, dont spend time telling people how great you are.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:16 AM

15,400 posts, read 17,499,624 times
Quote:
by "just doing" I dont mean dictating and bulldozing to get your way. I mean hard work, partnership, and smart thinking with clear cut goals and plans to get there....put your head down and do the work, dont spend time telling people how great you are.
That doesn't change the way things work. You can't start doing a job until you first win the job.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That doesn't change the way things work. You can't start doing a job until you first win the job.
Well Ill keep my fingers crossed for him to not win then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections