Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:00 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
clinton also got the white female vote which i seriously doubt that obama is going to be getting in the numbers that he needs to win.
DOES OBAMA HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WHITE VOTERS?, Crystal Ball, U.Va. (http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/article.php?id=AIA2008071701 - broken link)

Quote:
The last Democratic candidate for president to win a majority of the white vote was Lyndon Johnson in 1964. Al Gore lost the white vote by 12 points in 2000. John Kerry lost the white vote by 17 points in 2004.

Based on five national polls that have been conducted this month--Gallup, Newsweek, Quinnipiac, CBS/New York Times, and ABC/Washington Post--Barack Obama is currently trailing John McCain by an average of nine points among white voters. So Obama is doing much better than John Kerry and a little better than Al Gore. In fact, the only Democratic presidential candidates in the past four decades who have done better among white voters were Jimmy Carter in 1976 and Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996. Not coincidentally, they were also the only successful Democratic presidential candidates in the past four decades. Based on his current showing in the polls, Barack Obama may well be the next one. With whites expected to comprise less than 80 percent of the 2008 electorate, and with a 20-1 margin among black voters and a 2-1 margin among Hispanic voters, Obama's current nine point deficit among white voters would translate into a decisive victory in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM

351 posts, read 336,349 times
The Bradley Effect will take away from Obama in the voting booth. Polls mean nothing at this stage esp. with regards to the Hispanic vote just ask Earl Hutchinson. FYI he is a liberal on the huffingtonpost as well as cnn, FOX, abc, nbc, cbs and many newspapers. He has researched and written a book and what people tell pollsters is not how they vote in the booth when it will come to Obama as proved with Tom Bradley, David Dinkins, Lee Brown and many others.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
A new poll by the Pew Hispanic Center shows Obama with a commanding lead over McCain among Hispanic voters at 66%-23%. Remember during the primaries when we were being told that Hispanics wouldn't support Obama?...wrong!
I heard the same numbers on NPR today. But you left out the statistic that Hispanics only make up 9% of the overall voting pool.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I heard the same numbers on NPR today. But you left out the statistic that Hispanics only make up 9% of the overall voting pool.
True. But you left out the fact many experts see Hispanics as being pivotal in tilting the swing votes of Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, and Florida Democratic this election cycle.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:34 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
True. But you left out the fact many experts see Hispanics as being pivotal in tilting the swing votes of Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, and Florida Democratic this election cycle.

Florida Hispanics the largest group in South Florida are Reps look at the politicians ALL reps.

I dont know a single Hispanic in South Florida not just Cuban but Colombian , Venezualan who is a citizen who will vote for Obama.

When I use to say I supported him they thought I was crazy. I slowly have left the Dems as subscribe to digging untill we actually have another source of energy among other reasons but wont go Rep either so Independent candidate .

Orlando he might take but thats not enough to carry Fl . I cant see him taking Florida anymore ESP with the real angry Hillary supporters here and they are not joking when they told the Dem party they would not vote Obama.
unless he shines in the debate truly shines he wont take Fl .

Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
A new poll by the Pew Hispanic Center shows Obama with a commanding lead over McCain among Hispanic voters at 66%-23%. Remember during the primaries when we were being told that Hispanics wouldn't support Obama?...wrong!

These polls are misleading . Did they poll Hispanics all over USA or in one state/city as than the outcome is wrong.

Diff groups have diff choices and diff states can give you diff outcome.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I've been called that by people who dont even know me for saying that I dont like him. But yeah, white men dont really count for anything these days.
Wah wah!

Come on, are you serious? Who makes up almost the entire Senate? Who makes up most of the presidential cabinet? Who sits at the helm of most fortune 500 companies. Give me a break, whoah is me, the overlooked poor white male. Gimme a break!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:36 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I slowly have left the Dems as subscribe to digging untill we actually have another source of energy among other reasons but wont go Rep either so Independent candidate
That's an odd belief that comes from the Republicans. Dont believe the hype! McCain was also against drilling in Antarctia until very recently. Its just a ploy. The oil companies already have thousands of square feet of land that they refuse to drill on. Democrats merely want them to drill where they already have rights, rather than give them even more territory. They are also continuing the offshore drilling ban that Bush's own father implemented. Notice there was an oil spill on the MIssissippi River that's closed the whole thing down? Do you want that to happen to the shores of FL? Where would your state be then?

Dont fall for this scam.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:40 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,580,132 times
Well Obama should win New Mexico, a state Bush won in 2004. Obvioulsy Obama is going to peel away some states from the republicans. Florida is a different ball of wax because that state is filled with Cubans. Cubans generally are republicans.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:53 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Florida Hispanics the largest group in South Florida are Reps look at the politicians ALL reps.

I dont know a single Hispanic in South Florida not just Cuban but Colombian , Venezualan who is a citizen who will vote for Obama.

The times they are a changin...

Florida now has more Hispanic voters registered as Democrats than Republicans.

The difference is small – less than a percentage point. But it reflects a long-term demographic shift that could benefit Democrats: the increasing dominance of non-Cubans, particularly Puerto Ricans, among Floridians of Hispanic descent.

For years, conservative, anti-Castro Cubans, mainly in South Florida, have made the Hispanic vote a GOP bastion in Florida. But waves of Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Colombians, Venezuelans and others are turning Florida's Hispanic cohort into more of a swing vote, experts say.

Florida Hispanics Now Lean Toward Democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections