Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:20 PM

714 posts, read 1,533,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Yes! We Obama supporters are idealistic, optimistic, pumped up, fired up, and ready to take this great nation of ours in a new direction.

Come to our side. We're having much more fun. We're seeing the world for what it really is - a beautiful and fantastic place.

Life is good.
You seem nice! and you have the right to say what you like....but....that's just it...you might be pumped up and fired up, but your not realistic.

I have a great life and I totaly agree that we live in a beautiful fantastic place! I don't want to change America, I like it. But I also sure don't want Obama screwing it up...either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,478,449 times
Why thank you. I am unfortunately a realist, but I have a streak of idealism that keeps drowning it out. I absolutely love this nation, its people, and this experiment we're all participating in, but along the way there are always a few tweaks and adjustments to be made.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:19 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,413,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
Some people on here are so funny. Your excited over American flags waving? from overseas? great.

In case you haven't noticed, national security, and diplomacy is an American issue. Ultimately it's a security issue.

Lets look at news as of late: Bush has folded and essentially adopted Obama's strategy on Iran (ie, diplomacy). The Iraqi Prime Minister has also embraced Obama's timeline (Bush likes to call it a "Horizon" now). Obama focusing on Afghanistan and asking for Europe's support is something you'd be hard pressed to see Bush being able to pull off. The world loves this guy, and he's already setting policy.

He's making McCain (not to mention Bushco) look like a complete joke show. Which of course, they are, especially W.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:01 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,904,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I posted this in an earlier thread, but I think it bears repeating:

Obama's speech drew the largest foreign crowd ever by a Presidential candidate. Did you read that? Presidential CANDIDATE. He's not even President (yet) and 200k Germans gathered to hear him speak. There's no precedent for that, from what I've read. McCain couldn't even get that many people to gather to hear him speak in this country, let alone in a foreign one.

While McCain is giving interviews in the cheese aisle of a grocery store, and driving golf carts around with George Bush Sr, Obama is demonstrating his ability to bring people together, and to incite hope and change from the same ol' same ol' of the past (and the present administration, unfortunately)...and he's doing it on a global scale. It's actually quite remarkable. There is literally nothing negative that can thruthfully be said about his speech today. Although the speech itself wasn't all that original or exciting, the fact that so many people in another country came to hear him speak, and he came off looking and sounding fantastic, was wonderful for him, his campaign, Democrats, and the US in general.

Much of the rest of the world views America as a declining nation, full of self-righteous, wasteful, obnoxious, ignorant fools...largely because of the current administration and its handling of foreign affairs. We need a President who will strengthen relations with our allies, and who will not only make American citizens feel as though a competent person is seated in the Oval Office, but who will again allow and encourage other nations to look up to the US as a world power worth reckoning with. As an American, I'm tired of cringing every time I hear that Bush visited a foreign country and did or said something idiotic or offensive. I'm excited for a President that is beloved and supported by many (albeit not all) Americans, AS WELL AS many citizens of foreign nations. What a refreshing change from the status quo.

Those of you who continually make ridiculous and banal anti-Obama comments regarding Kool-Aid, Islam, his middle name, his birth certificate, etc, are in for a very rude awakening come November. Better start getting used to it...Obama's gonna be the next President, whether you like or not.

The guy just freakin rocks.
You might be right, from your own words,

make American citizens feel as though a competent person is seated in the Oval Office, but who will again allow and encourage other nations to look up to the US as a world power worth reckoning with

reck·on·ing (-iŋ)
noun
  1. the act of one who reckons; count or computation
  2. a measuring of possibilities for the future; calculated guess
    1. a bill; account
    2. the settlement of an account
    3. the settlement of rewards or penalties for any action day of reckoning

Old 07-25-2008, 06:31 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,852,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Yes! We Obama supporters are idealistic, optimistic, pumped up, fired up, and ready to take this great nation of ours in a new direction.

Come to our side. We're having much more fun. We're seeing the world for what it really is - a beautiful and fantastic place.

Life is good.
you idealists can continue to have fun because the rest of us working stiffs make life fun for you. you are welcome.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:38 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,008,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you idealists can continue to have fun because the rest of us working stiffs make life fun for you. you are welcome.
How do "working stiffs" make life fun for "idealists"? Anyone can be happy and/or idealistic.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,884,092 times
Sometimes people think their misery is another persons joy. I don't know if that is a possible answer or not. You think?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:09 AM

714 posts, read 1,533,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
In case you haven't noticed, national security, and diplomacy is an American issue. Ultimately it's a security issue.

Lets look at news as of late: Bush has folded and essentially adopted Obama's strategy on Iran (ie, diplomacy). The Iraqi Prime Minister has also embraced Obama's timeline (Bush likes to call it a "Horizon" now). Obama focusing on Afghanistan and asking for Europe's support is something you'd be hard pressed to see Bush being able to pull off. The world loves this guy, and he's already setting policy.

He's making McCain (not to mention Bushco) look like a complete joke show. Which of course, they are, especially W.
The only joke is Obama. I don't doubt that it is likely he will become President. Of course people over seas like him, he has no backbone, he will say or do anything to keep the peace. In the long run the joke is on the American people. It's like when your mother tells you to put down the toy and you do it because you respect her, or you don't because you know she won't really do anything about it. Which Mom do you think the kids would rather have? The one that will say they will do something about it, but really will let it slide because God forbid them make their child cry, or upset them. Obama, his friends, his views suck..with that said I do think he is a good person, I just don't respect him. He will not help our economy in the long run, he will destroy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections