Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Hey, we proved that when we tested the system. Given the coordinates, the system works. I'm not sure China will tell us the exact flight path though.
Exactly what I'm saying.

I would certainly not bet my foreign policy on the remote possibility this defense system will successfully knock out an incoming. But whatever makes the American people FEEL safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:54 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Exactly what I'm saying.

I would certainly not bet my foreign policy on the remote possibility this defense system will successfully knock out an incoming. But whatever makes the American people FEEL safer.
It's an illusion.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
You gotta take off the McCain-iac glasses as I'm not an Obama fan.

China has a no first strike policy, but you're kidding yourself if ICBMs can be stopped by that pathetic defense network.
Missile Defense Agency

Old 07-28-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So they bet on black and won. Good for them!

Doesn't change the fact that no rational president would attack a nuclear power on the remote chance that their defense system would avoid total devastation of NYC, DC, San Fransisco, LA, Chicago, et al.

In addition, China is not a rogue state with one warhead. Sending a fleet of them pretty much spells doom for any of our existing systems.

But whatever makes you sleep better at night...

Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
So they bet on black and won. Good for them!

Doesn't change the fact that no rational president would attack a nuclear power on the remote chance that their defense system would avoid total devastation of NYC, DC, San Fransisco, LA, Chicago, et al.

In addition, China is not a rogue state with one warhead. Sending a fleet of them pretty much spells doom for any of our existing systems.

But whatever makes you sleep better at night...
I already told you we won't attack China....they don't have oil.

Read the post they are right here in front of you...

I also said that's why we want missile defense types systems in case someone with ICBM decided to get stupid.

Don't forget we have a lot more than pee shooters....

Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Read the post they are right here in front of you...

I also said that's why we want missile defense types systems in case someone with ICBM decided to get stupid.

Don't forget we have a lot more than pee shooters....
The defense system is great for one missile from a terrorist state.

Not so good for all out assaults. It wouldn't be MAD (mutually assurred destruction), but Beijing in ruins brings little comfort to 1M dead in Manhattan or half that dead and the symbols of leadership in DC wiped out.

China has something more important than oil...our debt. Whether they choose to flip the economic switch or not is pretty much up to them. When/if it suits their purpose, they will. Maybe after the Olympics is the right time to dump dollars. I dunno.

Also, they may not have oil, but they are taking more and more from poorer Americans as they become wealthier.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Rising fuel prices will curb that. Those companies that moved overseas will start coming back because it won't be economical to ship materials anymore back over here with such high prices. Well at least that's my opinion. And China does have substanital investments in our debt. Japan is at the top of the list with 644 billion....China has about 350 billion....UK 239 billion....oil countries about 100 billion.

So IMO unless they are willing to just throw away 350 billion China is happy where they are collecting massive interest.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Rising fuel prices will curb that. Those companies that moved overseas will start coming back because it won't be economical to ship materials anymore back over here with such high prices. Well at least that's my opinion. And China does have substanital investments in our debt. Japan is at the top of the list with 644 billion....China has about 350 billion....UK 239 billion....oil countries about 100 billion.
You're right.

While you're at it, you can also say goodbye to all that cheap underwear/socks/toys/shoes/electronics you used to get. Australia, NZ, Europe, and Japan will be wanting those items now with their appreciating money.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
You are correct, we'd never attack China. They could crush our Economy at their whim and never launch a single piece of military hardware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections