U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:40 PM

27,218 posts, read 20,757,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Now lets review Ron Pauls record and if he actually votes the way he talks.

WOW amazing he actually does.

Also missed less then both of them.

Rep. Ronald Paul [R-TX] - GovTrack.us
"Statistics: Ronald Paul has sponsored 354 bills since Jan 7, 1997, of which 348 haven't made it out of committee (Extremely Poor) and 0 were successfully enacted (Average, relative to peers). Paul has co-sponsored 2007 bills during the same time period (Average, relative to peers). [On 4/2/08, the numbers were updated to consider companion bills in the other chamber identified as "identical" by the Congressional Research Service when determining if a bill was enacted or made it past the introduction stage.]"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,157,386 times
I like how 0 enacted is average...

Old 07-29-2008, 03:47 PM

12,647 posts, read 9,069,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
What's it matter if only 2 passed.

Maybe JM doesn't come up with garbage he knows is only propaganda that would never be passed......beside what better way to hide that you have done think but to try and pass as many as possible....see the lottery....chances in crease with numbers of tries......it's still a gazillion to one you ever win.
So Senator McCain gambles on which Bill to support?

H.R. 2642 (Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2008 ) Measure Title: A bill making appropriations for military construction, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and related agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2008, and for other purposes.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
I like how 0 enacted is average...
Gotta love those secondary rating services....

Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,082,575 times
So the average amount of bills passed is 0, we have people missing 16-26% of their work and these people are elected officials for the people? WTF is going on here? If I miss 16-26% of my work year I am fired. If I make 0 sales I am fired.

This elected official thing is the way to go. You get companies paying you to vote for them, you just show up, raise your hand and say Yea of Nay and it can lead to being POTUS. Hellz yeah.......sounds like a job change is needed.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:20 PM

8,262 posts, read 4,993,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Lies....more truth next time?

"Always on the edge of flunking out, McCain finished fifth from last in his class. Poindexter—the future national-security adviser—finished first. After graduation, McCain went out of his way to choose a naval career that was as different from his father's as imaginable. "Actually," he says, "I wanted to be a navy pilot, because I thought it was a pretty exciting life. I wasn't interested in being on a destroyer or a battleship or a submarine. I thought being a navy pilot would be a lot of fun. But that was the extent of my ambitions. It was not to reach higher rank or to advance up the ladder. I just thought it would be a great life, and it turned out indeed it was."
"

Since then his record is impeccable. Howd you do in school and did you become valedictorian and graduate top of your class.....if not why aren't you president?

Not comparing him to Albert Einstein but you do knw he dropped out of school intelligence comes in different forms...not just academics.

I dropped out of my school for personal reason and @ 16 tested to a grade level of sophomore in college.....does that mean I'm an idiot also ....of which I finished.
Your accusation of lies is confounded by your own text. Maybe you should have gone back and finished the HS you claimed you dropped out of.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
What I see is two different senators who seem to do the very same thing. And that is miss work! I'm sure it is the norm for our illustrious senators who work a whopping 1 1/2 to 3 days a week to miss votes all the time. All this says to me, a hard working middle-class American, is that these pompous, pampered politicians can't even make it to work every day of an average 2 day work week.
This makes me even more aware of the impossibility that either of these men could truly represent me and all the rest of the average Americans. I have missed 3 days of work(5 to 6 day work weeks) in the last 6 years and I am a carpenter for G's sake. Your info. has simply made me even more upset with the current system we have in place for choosing our leadership. And if they aren't going to do any more work than they do, they need to be paid less. I already knew the salaries for senators were a bit heavy, but when you factor in all the down time these guys really have it made.
And for the OP, I think I am still kind of on your subject, though I haven't added any data so to speak. I just went a different direction with the comparison issue. Sorry if you feel I tried to hijack your thread. I just had something a little more personal to convey.

P.S. You have awoken in me a desire to research these voting records myself, not only our candidates but a general overall view of the whole deal. Just curious to see how all our other senators fare in the attendance and voting department. Especially Mrs. Dole and Mr. Burr!
The records are very interesting. I would go straight to the source. No partisan noise here. THOMAS (Library of Congress) Select your Senator or Representative and peruse at your hearts desire.

I posted a thread earlier which asked if the disparity in Bills proposed by the respective Senators intimated and offered insight regarding what they cared about. I believe it does. There is a direct correlation between what a Senator says and what he is willing to spend time and effort committing to Law. The most recent Congress (the 110th) will give you an excellent starting point to view what the Senators care about in todays economic, social and global climate and what they are willing to do about it.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 PM

13,462 posts, read 16,206,094 times
walidm, I responded to your perspective of Obama's "achievements" in an earlier thread.

Just as a "refresher":

http://www.city-data.com/forum/4526110-post95.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm
You're right you didn't quote that part of his statement. I got off topic. I suppose I was distracted by the sheer lack of credibility of the source you quoted for this thread.

You're also correct, I certainly don't agree. As for the thread in question, I see no reason to take at face value Senator McCain's claim to be a good leader based on his sketchy history of achievement as of late, either. While I am more than willing to look at both candidates you aren't. Senator McCain is on the downside of his Senate career and taking into account his statements on the situations that affect the citizens of this Country as well as his World views - I think he would be a great candidate in another era. He is clearly out of touch with the economy as well as a myriad of issues affecting the World today and so he's falling back on one thing he knows well - destruction. Just my take - I like some things about him, just not Commander in Chief.

You still refuse to tell us how many bills he has had become law in the 110th Congress.

I'll help.

Statistics: Barack Obama has sponsored 132 bills since Jan 4, 2005, of which 119 haven't made it out of committee (Average) and 2 were successfully enacted (Average, relative to peers).
Statistics: John McCain has sponsored 537 bills since Jan 21, 1993, of which 340 haven't made it out of committee (Extremely Poor) and 31 were successfully enacted (Exceedingly Good, relative to peers).

That wasn't so hard. It came from your own source (I know you're partial to that) and it required objectivity (which we know you're not partial to).

Well good, now that you're finally willing to have a more serious discussion (despite continued cheap shots) I'll join too.

I don't consider the count of bills to be valid for a few reasons:

- Some are just frivolous, and I'll use some of the Obama proposals as examples: (1) A concurrent resolution honoring the life of Percy Lavon Julian, a pioneer in the field of organic chemistry and the first and only African-American chemist to be inducted into the National Academy of Sciences. (2) A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress that a commemorative postage stamp should be issued honoring Rosa Louise McCauley Parks. (3) A concurrent resolution supporting the goals and ideals of Sickle Cell Disease Awareness Month. (4) A resolution celebrating the life of Bishop Gilbert Earl Patterson.

- Some are duplicate: (1) S.2392 : A bill to direct the Secretary of Education to establish and maintain a public website through which individuals may find a complete database of available scholarships, fellowships, and other programs of financial assistance in the study of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics./S.2428 : A bill to direct the Secretary of Education to establish and maintain a public website through which individuals may find a complete database of available scholarships, fellowships, and other programs of financial assistance in the study of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. (#61 & 62). (2) S.CON.RES.44 : A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress that a commemorative postage stamp should be issued honoring Rosa Louise McCauley Parks./S.1713 : A bill to provide for the issuance of a commemorative postage stamp in honor of Rosa Parks. (#3 & 40). (3) S.767 : A bill to increase fuel economy standards for automobiles and for other purposes./S.768 : A bill to increase fuel economy standards for automobiles and for other purposes. (#21 & 22)

- The vast majority aren't his initiatives at all, it is only tagging on work initiated in the House of Representatives to have their proposals also initiated for evaluation into the appropriate Senate Committee. Every single listed Obama initiative (Thomas listing) past initiative #67 is only an intoduction into the Senate of House of Representatives initiated work.

So this is why I don't like "counting" things such as this, a critical evaluation turns up many problems that become sub-set research projects. I didn't list these to "pick on" Obama, I'm just demonstrating the problem involved with doing things like counting proposed bills.

Rather I'd like to look at the overall body of work and experience, and the candidate's position on the issues.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM

27,218 posts, read 20,757,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Your accusation of lies is confounded by your own text. Maybe you should have gone back and finished the HS you claimed you dropped out of.
What part of last fifth and last equal in your mind?

Your insults will return the favor one day....even as unfounded as they.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 PM

I'm impressed. You appear to have followed my advice and went to the source. You can feign selective indignation regarding "cheap shots" for those less informed or perhaps we can discuss in private, selective deletion of posts. Your choice.

In realty it was difficult for you to discuss this in another thread where the constraints of the topic dictated restrictions from straying from the topic.

While it makes little sense to you that changes at the Post Office require law I'm certain it does to some. Honoring through Congress, the life of American Citizens who have made major contributions to our Society seems to be the norm for Congressmen & Women, and so your disdain for such behavior is puzzling, but perhaps that is a personal preference regarding what you expect from those you vote for and elect.

What you consider "tagging on work" are in fact amendments and would indicate that a Legislator is indeed doing the work we expect. A review of the Constitution may put the importance of this crucial process into proper perspective for you. It would appear the problem as you see it, is not one at all. Amendments are a necessity if one wishes to change the terms of a legal document or contract, and an integral part of negotiation and compromise as our legislators work to reach a consensus on a Bill the President can support and sign into Law.

Personally I am much more concerned when one isn't contributing, as one should hope and expect that the tradition of the Senate to allow for open debate in order to efficiently make group decisions as quickly as possible, isn't relegated to the past by those who would shirk this duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections