Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Sharpton Defends Jackson After ‘Crude’ Comments About Obama - America’s Election HQ

This shows again there is a double standard!

Obama immediately gave a statement to say he forgave Jesse jackson although Jesse Jackson own son denounced his fathers words and actions!!!

Wow again what a lack of judgment.....proven over and over not a guy you want to be the next president of the USA. 15 min. of fame are almost over IMO
? Jesse's son denounced Jesse, Obama said he forgives him...how does that show a "lack of judgment"? Two different takes on the same situation.

About the concert-lure for unsuspecting Berliners...dont you think some reputable news source would have commented on this by now?

You know, if it were true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:17 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I suppose an argument could be made that people wanted Imus to be fired because he made his comments while he was working. OTOH, Jackson was shooting off his mouth when he was off camera and on a break. You can't really fire a guy for what he does while not working. But if he lost a job for being stupid, that would be ok by me.

Interesting idea that Sharpton somehow gets power through publicity. Does he have power? Because I've never taken him seriously, or cared what he had to say. To me he is about as powerful as Danny Bonaduce.
Jackson can't lose a job for being stupid, he doesn't have one.

Do you think there would be less outrage on the part of Sharpton if Imus said what he said while thinking he was off the air?

You and I have a similar view on Sharpton, but he does have some power over public figures and corporations because his accusations and claims get wide publicity that people want to avoid.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:37 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
You people are looking at this all wrong. On the air, Don Imus is a character so his comment was made in character (no matter how stupid the comment was), what Jackson said was off the air hence HIS REAL FEELINGS! The truth is told when the cameras and mics are off. If anything, people should look at what Jackson said as his true feelings. There is no way he actually wants Obama to win because Jackson has been "fighting the good fight" all of this time and is still considered a joke. Him and Sharpton are both arrogant, opportunistic jack offs who gain power and money by bullying companies into giving them things by threatening a racial boycott. It's a shame that these two are considered "leaders" in the African American Community.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 AM

194 posts, read 299,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The point is that Sharpton says everyone makes mistakes (thus, agreeing that it was a bad comment) when it's Jackson, but wants Imus fired.
And what? Jesse - a man of stature - made a (supposed) off air remark to a friend about another man of stature. Imus intentionally referred to a group of young college women as nappy-headed hos. Not the same thing, no matter how many straws whites are going to grasp at.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
This thread was supposed to be about Sharpton defending Jackson - even though I think the OP somehow didn't realize that when they created it. Why do people keep holding on to that Imus incident? It's like every time something happens someone goes "Oh but remember that one time...(at band camp)....Imus is not the topic of this thread. Obama is not the topic of this thread. Al Sharpton is the topic of this thread.

Let's all wait and see will the OP actually come back and say something on the topic of this thread.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Let's hide behind the sofa.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Let's hide behind the sofa.
Nah I don't think she's coming back. They've been active today and haven't come back to check on their thread. I think she just started it to see how many people would respond - not because she actually had anything of substance to say. Gee it's sunny over here today

Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
And this article has something to do with Obama's double standards? I read it and mistakenly thought it was about Sharpton.

What's wrong with saying castration? Oh yeah, it's Fox News talking about Obama.
Yes for sure it has. Good that you remember me on that since I forgot to mention it...thanks for that and sorry that I not immediatley mentioned that Obama has asked for Imus to be fired on National tv!!!

Why didn't he ask for Jesse Jackson to be removed from whatever he is doing and announcing he denounced him just as Jesse Jacksons son has done.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:01 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
This thread was supposed to be about Sharpton defending Jackson - even though I think the OP somehow didn't realize that when they created it. Why do people keep holding on to that Imus incident? It's like every time something happens someone goes "Oh but remember that one time...(at band camp)....Imus is not the topic of this thread. Obama is not the topic of this thread. Al Sharpton is the topic of this thread.

Let's all wait and see will the OP actually come back and say something on the topic of this thread.
Again the point is that Obama wanted Imus to be fired and when Jackson called him a "n" and more Obama said he was forgiven and now Sharpton who called so loud for Imus to be fired is saying what is in the article.....Double Standards and that for a person who wants to be the next president and IMO has shown lack of judgment over and over....If he wanted Imus fired as the images of Obama shown on tv while making these statements....than he should have had stronger words for Jackson calling him a "n" on or of tv....which we have proof of.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Again the point is that Obama wanted Imus to be fired and when Jackson called him a "n" and more Obama said he was forgiven and now Sharpton who called so loud for Imus to be fired is saying what is in the article.....Double Standards and that for a person who wants to be the next president and IMO has shown lack of judgment over and over....If he wanted Imus fired as the images of Obama shown on tv while making these statements....than he should have had stronger words for Jackson calling him a "n" on or of tv....which we have proof of.
Okay but your thread is about Sharpton and the link you posted is about Sharpton but all you're talking about is Obama.

You posted a link about Al Sharpton defending Jesse's words to tell us that Obama wanted Imus fired but forgave Jesse? You created a thread called "Sharpton defends Jackson after crude comments about Obama" to tell us that Obama has shown lack of judgment over and over? You do realize Sharpton and Obama are not the same person right?

2+2=5 I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections