Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,218 times

Advertisements

The Star Bulletin, a Hawaii newspaper, reporting on Obama's speech at a convention of minority journalists in Chicago, quoted him as saying that the U.S. has to accompany words about its "tragic past" with actions including reparations. The audience gave him an enthusiastic reception, including a standing ovation. That is the kind of speech he feels comfortable giving before a friendly (should we say 'adoring') audience. He did the same kind of thing during the primaries when he addressed well-heeled liberals in San Francisco and put down working class Americans as ignorant bigots. I don't expect him to trot out his support for reparations for the general electorate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 AM

509 posts, read 691,378 times
Barack Obama did not endorse reparations

Oh Jim Me,
I wondered why you did not provide a link, I found out why. Below is the entire quote.

Barack Obama did not endorse reparations [Karl]

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin, reporting on Barack Obama’s speech plus Q&A session with cheering minority journalists, lifted the following quote from the candidate:

“I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it’s Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds.”

A HotAir headline asked whether this was an endorsement of reparations. A look at the full transcript shows that it was not. After Obama made the above-quoted comment, this exchange followed:

SUZANNE MALVEAUX: When it comes to reparations, would you take it a step further, in terms of apologizing for slavery or offering reparations to various groups?

SEN. BARACK OBAMA: You know, I have said in the past, and I’ll repeat again, that the best reparations we can provide are good schools in the inner city and jobs for people who are unemployed. And I think that strategies that invest in lifting people out of the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow, but that have brought applicability and allow us to build coalitions to actually get these things done, that, I think, is the best strategy.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,534 times
I've found that whenever people don't provide a link, it's best to laugh at them, and then laugh some more when they whine about you not taking them seriously.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post

Oh Jim Me,
I wondered why you did not provide a link, I found out why. Below is the entire quote.

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin, reporting on Barack Obama’s speech plus Q&A session with cheering minority journalists, lifted the following quote from the candidate:

“I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it’s Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds.”

A HotAir headline asked whether this was an endorsement of reparations. A look at the full transcript shows that it was not. After Obama made the above-quoted comment, this exchange followed:

SUZANNE MALVEAUX: When it comes to reparations, would you take it a step further, in terms of apologizing for slavery or offering reparations to various groups?

SEN. BARACK OBAMA: You know, I have said in the past, and I’ll repeat again, that the best reparations we can provide are good schools in the inner city and jobs for people who are unemployed. And I think that strategies that invest in lifting people out of the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow, but that have brought applicability and allow us to build coalitions to actually get these things done, that, I think, is the best strategy.
Well, this is typical Obama, isn't it? He says whatever the audience wants to hear or what is politically expedient. His Chicago audience clearly had no problem with his endorsement of reparations. But then when asked about it he backtracked. Notice, however, he did not disavow reparations. He said the "best reparations" are all these social programs (as if hundreds of billions of dollars spent since Johnson's Great Society and War on Poverty weren't enough). But what about second best reparations, like lump sum payments of the kind paid out to the Japanese interned by FDR during WWII? He left that door open.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:54 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Well, this is typical Obama, isn't it? He says whatever the audience wants to hear or what is politically expedient. His Chicago audience clearly had no problem with his endorsement of reparations. But then when asked about it he backtracked. Notice, however, he did not disavow reparations.
I don't know about BACKTRACKING. Looked more like a clarification to me.
Quote:
He said the "best reparations" are all these social programs (as if hundreds of billions of dollars spent since Johnson's Great Society and War on Poverty weren't enough). But what about second best reparations, like lump sum payments of the kind paid out to the Japanese interned by FDR during WWII? He left that door open.
Semantics

Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post

Oh Jim Me,

In typical Obama fashion, he side-stepped the question and gave a vague, open ended answer. Obama never answers in absolutes and this is the porblem people have with him. Slime, snake-oil salesman, liar, spin....all words one thinks of when Obama is mentioned.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Well, this is typical Obama, isn't it? He says whatever the audience wants to hear or what is politically expedient. His Chicago audience clearly had no problem with his endorsement of reparations. But then when asked about it he backtracked. Notice, however, he did not disavow reparations. He said the "best reparations" are all these social programs (as if hundreds of billions of dollars spent since Johnson's Great Society and War on Poverty weren't enough). But what about second best reparations, like lump sum payments of the kind paid out to the Japanese interned by FDR during WWII? He left that door open.
Oh Jim Me
how does this back up hat you said?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
In typical Obama fashion, he side-stepped the question and gave a vague, open ended answer.
Fair enough,
But he certainly DID NOT SAY what JIM ME accused him of saying.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Since this thread is based on a fallacy I move that it be closed. Plenty of legitimate issues to bash Obama on.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Since this thread is based on a fallacy I move that it be closed. Plenty of legitimate issues to bash Obama on.
Good idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections