Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

One of the miracles of this Presidential election campaign is that John McCain still has a chance to win, notwithstanding his best attempts to kick it away. In his latest random policy improvisation, the Arizona Senator tried to give up the tax issue.

...Here came the words that have caused the McCain campaign well deserved grief: "There is nothing that's off the table. I have my positions, and I'll articulate them. But nothing's off the table." So given a chance to reiterate his opposition to tax increases -- and underscore a main contrast with his opponent -- Mr. McCain punted.

McCain's Tax Blunder - WSJ.com

The Wall Street Journal is shaking its head at McCain's apathy. Are you?

How would you stuff this man into a job it appears he really doesn't want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,425 times
I still think the GOP's plan is to set up a really strong VP and then trap McCain in a tanning booth.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
I still think the GOP's plan is to set up a really strong VP and then trap McCain in a tanning booth.

I agree about the strong VP. I'll bet every day more and more Republicans are looking past McCain toward the curtain, waiting for the arrival of this mystery date who'll save us all. (Or, at least them.)

I'll bet they bring him out sooner rather than closer to November, so we can all get used to him - posing presidentially. practicing his lines.

How has the GOP come to this?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

I agree about the strong VP. I'll bet every day more and more Republicans are looking past McCain toward the curtain, waiting for the arrival of this mystery date who'll save us all. (Or, at least them.)

I'll bet they bring him out sooner rather than closer to November, so we can all get used to him - posing presidentially. practicing his lines.

How has the GOP come to this?
Well it's not their fault those silly repubs voted for him in the primaries.

Their convention is September 1st. I call he announces the VP in two weeks.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
One of the miracles of this Presidential election campaign is that John McCain still has a chance to win, notwithstanding his best attempts to kick it away. In his latest random policy improvisation, the Arizona Senator tried to give up the tax issue.

...Here came the words that have caused the McCain campaign well deserved grief: "There is nothing that's off the table. I have my positions, and I'll articulate them. But nothing's off the table." So given a chance to reiterate his opposition to tax increases -- and underscore a main contrast with his opponent -- Mr. McCain punted.

McCain's Tax Blunder - WSJ.com

The Wall Street Journal is shaking its head at McCain's apathy. Are you?

How would you stuff this man into a job it appears he really doesn't want?
Another well documented flop by McCain.

He gave a Daddy Bushesque "No" to raising taxes at a TownHouse Meeting before switching later to the "nothing is off the table" card.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
...and this was on the front page today:

"Obama met with Bernanke, while McCain criticized his rival."

The corresponding article (on page A5 for those of you who get the WSJ) points out the while Obama had meetings with both Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, McCain has done nothing but criticize and claim he is "focusing" on the economy. So far this week the only meetings McCain has held were town hall meetings in which he complained about Obama's tax raises.

The WSJ then notes the irony in this, since McCain recently reversed his own position on not raising taxes. It points out that he said "everything would be on the table (to solve social security) including tax increases."

A burn from the Wall Street Journal! They're known for supporting the conservative candidate. Ouch.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
...and this was on the front page today:

"Obama met with Bernanke, while McCain criticized his rival."

The corresponding article (on page A5 for those of you who get the WSJ) points out the while Obama had meetings with both Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, McCain has done nothing but criticize and claim he is "focusing" on the economy. So far this week the only meetings McCain has held were town hall meetings in which he complained about Obama's tax raises.

The WSJ then notes the irony in this, since McCain recently reversed his own position on not raising taxes. It points out that he said "everything would be on the table (to solve social security) including tax increases."

A burn from the Wall Street Journal! They're known for supporting the conservative candidate. Ouch.
Obama shouldn't be allowed to meet with Bernanke. He's not the president yet, and to think he has the right to meet with anyone he wants to just shows how much of a slimy politician he is.

It's improper for him to do anything except blatant pandering to groups of potential voters. Only they matter for the presidential CANDIDATE.

It just shows how much of a narcissist he is to meet with people who actually affect policy. This is going to cost him the election, and it probably already has.

63% of Americans think that Obama will be worse for our country than George W. Bush.

77% of of Obama voters say that they're only voting for him because there's no better option. How sad is it that his own supporters don't like him???

IN THE END OBAMA IS A LYING SELF-SERVING FRAUD WHO WILL SEND AMERICA TO ITS DOOM!!!

Last edited by Habsburg; 07-30-2008 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: How do you like my crazy right winger impersonation?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
Obama shouldn't be allowed to meet with Bernanke. He's not the president yet, and to think he has the right to meet with anyone he wants to just shows how much of a slimy politician he is.

It's improper for him to do anything except blatant pandering to groups of potential voters. Only they matter for the presidential CANDIDATE.
LOL--oh thanks for this, it's alway great to start off the morning with a belly laugh. Love the touch of using the all-caps and red font! If you get a chance to edit, a few deliberate typos would be fun, too. The little note in the editing remarks was a perfect tip off. Rep points to you.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 AM

You're almost too good at this, Hapsburg.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I was thinking about this last week. In 2000, when McCain ran, he confessed then that he wasn't as up to speed on economic issues as he should have been. In the past eight years it would seem he has had ample time to get a grasp on all the different mechanics of the economy, what role the Federal Reserve plays, interest rates, stock markets, how the national debt affects the performance of the American dollar in international markets, and so on. When McCain even began considering running for the Presidency this time around, his experience should have told him that the closer to the election, the more important economic issues become. So why didn't he take the time to become familiar with economic theories and policies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections