U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I watched the governor of California talking to the press about the earthquake, and it struck me how well he's been handling his job.

It's striking because Arnold was the "unlikely" candidate when he started out. Just like Obama (in case you're wondering where this post is going). People were afraid of electing him--afraid that he didn't have the right experience. He was mocked for being "just a celebrity."

There were all sorts of rumors--and all sorts of fears of what would happen to California with Arnold in charge. Stuff said in chat rooms sounded a lot like the things written about Obama today (makes me wonder sometimes if it's just cut-and-pasted...)

Even the people who hated the rumors had hesitation. They wondered how an actor could seriously campaign against a seasoned politician like Gray Davis. But there was just something so strong, so believable about Arnold.

People were still undecided all the way up to the election.

Just days before the election some polls predicted a win for Davis. But in the end, Arnold won. In the end, many people said it was because of the Davis smear campaign. They were sick of it, and they voted for Arnold just to make a point.

Something to think about...

Last edited by normie; 07-30-2008 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:05 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,630,184 times

I'll be Barack...

Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times
So what's my point? There's a few of them, actually.

1. You do not need years of experience to be a competent leader. Schwarzenneggar turned out to be more than competent, despite being "new."

2. Polls taken just days before an election can be wrong.

3. Smear campaigns can backfire.

...oh, and one more thought: You don't have to win by a landslide. You just have to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or