Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:31 PM

509 posts, read 691,572 times

Advertisements

It seems Obama's image is convincing all races o vote for a black person for president. Most are not sure their friends would do the same.
It seems Obama lack of big lead can still be race related
8% added to a 2 point lead would put Obama at the expected 10%. A number more in line with expectations.

Apparently he is convincing people that a black president is ok, but they are still not sure he is ok.
Maybe they just need to know him better!
I think the debates will demonstrate a stark contrast between the two.

Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/more_voters_than_ever_say_they_would_vote_for_blac k_candidate_still_not_sure_about_friends - broken link)

Since Barack Obama has sealed the Democratic nomination, more voters say they are willing to vote for an African-American presidential candidate than ever before. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that 85% of Likely Voters say they are willing, up from 78% in early June. In February, that figure was 73%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
...and here I thought Obama was convincing people to vote for competence. My bad.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM

194 posts, read 299,194 times
Uppity colored boy doesn't seem to know his place.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
One you vote black you'll never go back.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:52 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times
Or maybe the reason some people aren't convinced Barack Obama should be President has nothing to do with whether he's black.

The polls about whether or not voters are willing to vote for an African-American are worthless. People being willing to do something and planning to do it are 2 different things.

I am more than willing to vote for an African American for any office in the land including President, but I am not going to vote for Obama.

So .... tricky wording.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Or maybe the reason some people aren't convinced Barack Obama should be President has nothing to do with whether he's black.

The polls about whether or not voters are willing to vote for an African-American are worthless. People being willing to do something and planning to do it are 2 different things.

I am more than willing to vote for an African American for any office in the land including President, but I am not going to vote for Obama.

So .... tricky wording.
I agree...nothing against black people in office (I use to call them African Americans, but learned by watching tv that could be an insult since they are born here...., I have no clue how to call them anymore), I think Condaleza Rice would be great as a president.

But Obama that is something different and it doesn't matter if he was white, green , brown, blue, red , yellow....

Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree...nothing against black people in office (I use to call them African Americans, but learned by watching tv that could be an insult since they are born here...., I have no clue how to call them anymore), I think Condaleza Rice would be great as a president.

But Obama that is something different and it doesn't matter if he was white, green , brown, blue, red , yellow....
I think the current usage is that black is anyone of that race and African-American is an immigrant.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
A small percentage of White's might not vote for him because he is black.
A percentage of White Guilt'ers might vote for him to feel good.
I would say Race probably isnt hurting him and could be helping him.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Black is much more preferred over "them" from what I understand.....same with "you people".

Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
He really needs to get Wesley Snipes in his corner:

"Always bet on black!"
Attached Thumbnails
Obama is convincing people to vote black-passenger.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections