Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,227,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

YouTube - Sen. Barack Obama's answer to meeting energy demands

Oh geez. McCain needs to find a way to use this.
I doubt that Obama forgot about the electrical, or gasoline, energy that is needed to drive the air compressor that is needed to inflate the tires. It seems likely that he is totally ignorant of a compressor but does deliberately neglect to mention the gasoline needed by most Americans who do not own a compressor when they have to drive to a gas station with one. This is a knothead's logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 PM

634 posts, read 1,414,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I doubt that Obama forgot about the electrical, or gasoline, energy that is needed to drive the air compressor that is needed to inflate the tires. It seems likely that he is totally ignorant of a compressor but does deliberately neglect to mention the gasoline needed by most Americans who do not own a compressor when they have to drive to a gas station with one. This is a knothead's logic.

You know how it is, folks as smart as he will tell us to buy ''old fashon hand pumps'' to inflate them with,,lol.

I see the devorce rates climbing fast for dually owners. After 10,000 pumps trying to reach 80 psi in six tires,,the wife won't like it when hubby is to tired for the ''more important pumping''

Last edited by RS-1080; 07-30-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 09:25 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,906,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
You know very little about automobiles....
Really, I have never had to have anything done to my cars other that what I have described. Now granted I don't keep any of my cars after 75,000-100,000 miles. I am not the fool that takes my car in to the dealer and asks for those 30,000 60,000, 90,000 check ups. I take my car in and tell them to do what the manufacturer requires to keep my warranty valid. I am not a sucker because I know what my cars needs per the manufacturer. And guess what neither of my cars say anything about valve adjustments, tuneups, fuel injector cleaning, spark plug wire/spark plug replacement, coolant replacement before 100,000 miles, . I wonder why?

Yep, I am the one that knows nothing about my car. That might be why I have never had any major problem with my cars and don't spend half of what you do. I think we know how is the one that knows nothing about cars. The dealer's mechanic smells you before you hit the driveway.

And BTW I am also not dumb enough to change my oil every 3000 miles. Experts will tell you that unless your driving is very severe it is a waste of oil and bad for the environment. We all know how short we are on oil.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Default Intellectuals support Obama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
You know how it is, folks as smart as he will tell us to buy ''old fashon hand pumps'' to inflate them with,,lol.

I see the devorce rates climbing fast for dually owners. After 10,000 pumps trying to reach 80 psi in six tires,,the wife won't like it when hubbies are to tired for the ''more important pumping''
At my age I would be more worried about cardiac arrest. But then I have two air compressors, one at the house and one at the shop. I need them to keep the proper inflation in my 33X12.5x15" Goodyears on my 3/4 ton GMC.

I think somewhere inthe U.S. Constitution is the right to bear air compressors?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,906,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
At my age I would be more worried about cardiac arrest. But then I have two air compressors, one at the house and one at the shop. I need them to keep the proper inflation in my 33X12.5x15" Goodyears on my 3/4 ton GMC.

I think somewhere inthe U.S. Constitution is the right to bear air compressors?
And spend as much on gas as you bank account can handle!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
And spend as much on gas as you bank account can handle!
If I read the Constitution as a Democrat, I'm sure that is in there somewhere.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:41 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,888,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
No I think tune-ups and tires about covers the drilling crisis. I can't wait for the economy.
Niiice! +1

Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,511,513 times
you know what? CARTER warned us about this addiction to Oil 30 Years ago but we blew him off as a whacko Liberal and just kept on buying the biggest baddest SUVS & Hummers. Well America you made your bed now lie in it.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,113,240 times
Obama's plan calls for increased use of alternative fuels: wind, solar and nuclear. Currently wind and solar make up less than .5% of our national usage. Nuclear makes up nearly 23%.

Obama's home state of IL has more nuclear power plants than any other state in the union. No new nuclear power plants have been constructed since the 1980's because environmentalist groups have convinced congress that nuclear is unsafe. The environmentalist groups such as Green Peace have powerful lobbyists who hold influence and power over many congressmen and senators, primarily Democrats.

Nuclear has proven to be inexpensive after the initial construction and clean. Nuclear is tightly monitored by the Federal government. It has proven to be safe. It just makes sense to build efficient nuclear power plants!

Obama is for it but getting new nuclear power past a Democratic congress with a history of supporting enviornementalist causes is going to be very difficult.

Wind power is good but it takes a lot of space (one wind power station in NM is over 100 acres) and even in prevailing wind areas the wind is not constant. Wind power is not a viable alternative except in sparsely populated areas.

Solar panels are available now for individual homes. They work well and produce usable electric energy as long as the sun is shining. They are not, however, trouble free and require regular maintenance.

Large fields of solar panels are in operation in several states. LIke the home versions they work well as long as the sun is shining. They too require regular maintainence. Like wind, solar fields require a lot of space and maintenance.

Environmentalist groups will continue to push for "Green Power" in the form of wind and solar but for most of the US those sources will still only make up a small part of our overall energy for the reasons given above.

What about drilling more oil wells?

It is known that there are vast reserves off of both the eastern and western coasts. We have known for decades that there were huge reserves in the deep water of the Gulf of Mexico. We now have the technology to drill that crude oil but environmentalist groups have halted exploration and drilling claiming it is a threat to the shore.

We had better wake up!

Cuba is planning to drill in the same area that our oil companies planned to drill in. There are no environmentalist groups in Cuba who would dare to complain to the Cuban Government. If they did they would find themselves speaking to a firing squad shortly before their execution!

Mexico and Venezuela also have acquired the technology to drill in the deep areas of the Gulf of Mexico.

We should expand our exploration and drilling of oil reserves in the Gulf of Mexico and in Alaska. We should also allow exploratory drilling off of the southeastern US coast and off of the California coast.

Obama says such drilling will not amount to much and will not have a large effect on gasoline prices until 5 or more years from now.

He's both right and wrong! Here's why.

Demand is high and getting higher. Gasoline is driven by demand bids. China and European countries are willing to pay more. A large percentage of oil refined in the USA goes overseas.

But there is a caveat.

The US hasn't built a modern refinery since the 1970's. You can again blame those damn environmentalist groups! We need a new refinery in the US. We should build one before some other country decides to! If oil is processed efficently and faster it can reach the consumer faster, Increased oil production would reduce prices at the pump. At least in theory.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,888,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
you know what? CARTER warned us about this addiction to Oil 30 Years ago but we blew him off as a whacko Liberal and just kept on buying the biggest baddest SUVS & Hummers. Well America you made your bed now lie in it.
Yep. Carter was a genius!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections