Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times

Advertisements

Obama's speech a few weeks back to the NAACP somewhat got overlooked as the Jesse Jackson comments took front stage.

Curious to hear opinions on Obama's speech. Here is part of his speech where he spoke directly to the black community on personal responsibility.

"But we also have to demand more from ourselves," he said. "Now, I know there's some who've been saying I've been too tough talking about responsibility. But here at the NAACP, I'm here to report I'm not going to stop talking about it. Because ... no matter how many 10-point plans we propose, or how many government programs we launch -- none of it will make any difference if we don't seize more responsibility in our own lives."

Taking responsibility, he said, means turning off televisions and putting away video games and providing direct guidance to children.

"Teaching our daughters to never allow images on television to tell them what they are worth; teaching our sons to treat women with respect, and to realize responsibility does not end at conception; that what makes them a man is not the ability to have a child but to raise one," he said. "That's a message we need to send."

For once, Obama seemed very truthful. His speech seems to have new legs in light of the Ludacris song where Ludacris offended women by calling Hillary Clinton a "b*tch". Maybe Ludacris should read a copy of Obama's speach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
Ludacris offended women by calling Hillary Clinton a "b*tch".
I'm sure the entire nation took Ludacris' song to heart.

Sounds to me like you're supporting an Obama speech? Gasp!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
I'm sure the entire nation took Ludacris' song to heart.

Sounds to me like you're supporting an Obama speech? Gasp!

Yep. Obama was spot on with that part of his speech....though it isn't anything that hasn't been said before, so he wasn't really being original. Hopefully, coming from Obama, the people he aimed the speech at will listen.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:40 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
I miss u in the ludacris thread...but good for you for posting this...

Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
For once, I like what he said. Especially about responsibility doesn't end at conception. But I find it funny how those defending Ludicris' lyrics about Hillary are black. If a white rocker did the same to Obama, they would be ready to lynch them Things will not get better with racism until all sides realize that they are racist or biggots. I usually like Ludacris too so don't jump in and say I wouldn't listen to him anyway b/c that's not true. But he needs to be called on it b/c it's wrong. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Quid pro quo and all that. If blacks want respect, they have to give it to others.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 AM

Not many responses from Obamatrons on this.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Because you're already supporting Obama here?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
Moderator cut: debate topics rather than attack posters personally

Last edited by Kristynwy; 08-01-2008 at 12:26 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
So you are still on the "black men" should take responsibility and not whites or latinos because blacks are a "larger percentage" in these cases?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Because we know that the whole concept is stupid and only you all will b up in arms about it because it goes against what you deem normal...
Is it wrong that I don't think normal is being totally disrespectful of others? Oh well, if that's the case, no I don't find it normal at all. I don't like a lot of rap b/c I don't like the language and all the sexual references and I don't want my 8 year old hearing it. I've had to turn songs off b/c he has heard words and asks me what it means when I didn't realize what the lyrics are. Again, if it were Aerosmith or some white rock group who sang a song against Obama, none of you would think it was stupid and you would all be p***ed off to no end. But they couldn't get away with even getting it recorded so that's the difference. But it's wrong to be up in arms over it b/c whites just don't understand the poetry of rap? It's neverending on these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections