Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times

Advertisements

oh sorry, maybe im mixed up about his priorities, exactly where on his list of concerns does the religion and gun clingers rank

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
However, when specifically asked at the convention whether he supported "offering reparations to various groups," Obama replied that "the best reparations we can provide are good schools in the inner city and jobs for people who are unemployed."

Source

What does reparations have to do with Walmart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
oh sorry, maybe im mixed up about his priorities, exactly where on his list of concerns does the religion and gun clingers rank
Probably first, on the new thread you start to discuss those issues. In the meantime I'll stick to discussing Walmart and it's warning if the Democrats win.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Exactly. It is rare that employees that are treated with dignity and respect feel like that they have to find ways to protect themselves against their employer, and are willing to actually pay to do so.
Strange huh?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:49 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Because he's a Democrat.
That's why the Unions support him? That's that's it. That's the reason? Nothing that he's said or discussed with them....strange.

Since Unions "exert its control over more sheep" shouldn't Walmart embrace them?

A union would require the companies profit margin to drop. It would make those Wallie worlds that are put out in the middle of no where non-existent. It would put many many rural area workers out of jobs. Wallie World would then only concentrate on high volume high population areas.

I really have no idea why they would back this....to me it makes absolutely no sense if in fact they are:

"Labor Obama will strengthen the ability of workers to organize unions. He will fight for passage of the Employee Free Choice Act. Obama will ensure that his labor appointees support workers' rights and will work to ban the permanent replacement of striking workers. Obama will also increase the minimum wage and index it to inflation to ensure it rises every year.
  • Ensure Freedom to Unionize: Obama believes that workers should have the freedom to choose whether to join a union without harassment or intimidation from their employers. Obama cosponsored and is strong advocate for the Employee Free Choice Act, a bipartisan effort to assure that workers can exercise their right to organize. He will continue to fight for EFCA's passage and sign it into law.
  • Fight Attacks on Workers' Right to Organize: Obama has fought the Bush National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) efforts to strip workers of their right to organize. He is a cosponsor of legislation to overturn the NLRB's "Kentucky River" decisions classifying hundreds of thousands of nurses, construction, and professional workers as "supervisors" who are not protected by federal labor laws.
  • Protect Striking Workers: Obama supports the right of workers to bargain collectively and strike if necessary. He will work to ban the permanent replacement of striking workers, so workers can stand up for themselves without worrying about losing their livelihoods.
  • Raise the Minimum Wage: Barack Obama will raise the minimum wage, index it to inflation and increase the Earned Income Tax Credit to make sure that full-time workers earn a living wage that allows them to raise their families and pay for basic needs."

Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
One of two things will happen when higher minimum wages are enacted.....

1. The small business with fairly small profit margin goes out because it can no longer justify the cost of running it as opposed to profits it's making.
2. The cost of goods and services increase sometimes to a point of also running the company out of business.

I just so happen to have been around unions all my life living in the farming, tech, mfg, housings cities in NC. I even have worked for 3. Heck when I was young 18 @ the time I worked for UPS. Without a degree the wait time to get the cushy driver/deliveryman job was 19 years. Top pay back then was $30/hr...19 years?.....no thanks.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
It seems like the smart thing (based on what you've stated) would be to support the legislation and ask for the secret ballot section to be amended to address your concern. Sounds like you've got some negotiating to do.
I'm not sure supporting the legislation is the smart thing to do. While I think unions originally helped workers, I'm not so sure that such an adversarial approach is a good thing in today's economy. I'm all for workers being paid fairly, and receiving good benefits, but I don't think I'm for paying union dues that are used in ways I don't approve of. Yes, some of my tax dollars are used to pay for things I neither want nor need, but I don't equate union dues with tax dollars. When unions pay out money for marketing and advertising executives, I wonder why I'm supposed to be "sold" on what a good idea unions are instead of unions coming up with some good ideas that sell themselves. When unions use these professionals to mount PR attacks on American companies, I wonder why the money spent this way isn't being spent in a more positive way. I'm not sure I want big unions and people who are far removed from my life making decisions for me about what I need, making decisions that I may consider short-sighted and ill-considered.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Is Walmart afraid of an Administration that will expect it to treat it's employees fairly? Didn't the US citizens already fight this fight? Why does on of the Nations largest employers fear equitable treatment for it's employees?
Like they have any ethics to begin with. As it is, they rely on cheap goods from Chinese workers who also have no rights.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 AM

when the alternative is ownership making those decisions

lesser of evils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not sure supporting the legislation is the smart thing to do. While I think unions originally helped workers, I'm not so sure that such an adversarial approach is a good thing in today's economy. I'm all for workers being paid fairly, and receiving good benefits, but I don't think I'm for paying union dues that are used in ways I don't approve of. Yes, some of my tax dollars are used to pay for things I neither want nor need, but I don't equate union dues with tax dollars. When unions pay out money for marketing and advertising executives, I wonder why I'm supposed to be "sold" on what a good idea unions are instead of unions coming up with some good ideas that sell themselves. When unions use these professionals to mount PR attacks on American companies, I wonder why the money spent this way isn't being spent in a more positive way. I'm not sure I want big unions and people who are far removed from my life making decisions for me about what I need, making decisions that I may consider short-sighted and ill-considered.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 AM

Parse the issue anyway you want, I doubt labor is 1st on obamas list of priorities

Quote:
Probably first, on the new thread you start to discuss those issues. In the meantime I'll stick to discussing Walmart and it's warning if the Democrats win.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
>It seems like the smart thing (based on what you've stated) would be to support the legislation and ask for the secret ballot section to be amended to address your concern. Sounds like you've got some negotiating to do<

>Obama believes that workers should have the freedom to choose whether to join a union without harassment or intimidation from their employers<

Note it does NOT say harassment or intimidation from unions.

>Obama cosponsored and is strong advocate for the Employee Free Choice Act<

A big part of EFCA is nonsecret voting.

If you read many union websites. Checkoff (nonsecret voting) is #1 to many unions.

If you ban perm replacements you will get perm replacements. IN CHINA. Just as the tide is just beginning to turn away from China due to transport costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections