Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 07:41 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times

Advertisements

Then

In 1999, McCain was in New Hampshire, campaigning for the GOP nomination as a moderate. He proclaimed himself a pro-life candidate, but told reporters that “in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade.” He explained that overturning Roe would force “women in America to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations.”

Now

STEPHANOPOULOS: Let me ask one question about abortion. Then I want to turn to Iraq. You’re for a constitutional amendment banning abortion, with some exceptions for life and rape and incest.

MCCAIN: Rape, incest and the life of the mother. Yes.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So is President Bush, yet that hasn’t advanced in the six years he’s been in office. What are you going to do to advance a constitutional amendment that President Bush hasn’t done?

MCCAIN: I don’t think a constitutional amendment is probably going to take place, but I do believe that it’s very likely or possible that the Supreme Court should — could overturn Roe v. Wade"
Source

Interesting....Has Senator McCain changed his view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,610 times
People take note: he provides sources!

Looks like he's shifted his view to me. Although I wouldn't call it a flip flop because a lot can change in nine years.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
Shifting from "maverick" to same ol' Republican. Another old white guy who wants to control women. Great.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:45 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times
Would he really overturn Roe v. Wade? Everyone tend to "just leave it alone".

Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM

I wouldn't put it past anyone. It will always be a real danger and I would never dismiss the fact that it could happen.

Bushco just classified the pill and IUD as "Abortificants".

Old 08-01-2008, 09:02 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times
what constitutional right does a person have to exterminate the life of another? could someone explain to me how the fourth amendment covers abortion? make that arguement, and I'll let it go. This type of judicial activism is what destroys liberty, states rights, and makes the judiciary branch the most despotic in our system of government. judges aren't elected and aren't subject to referendoms from a popular majority. Imagine the hell that would have broke loose if they had gotten the second amendment ruling wrong.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
what constitutional right does a person have to exterminate the life of another? could someone explain to me how the fourth amendment covers abortion? make that arguement, and I'll let it go. This type of judicial activism is what destroys liberty, states rights, and makes the judiciary branch the most despotic in our system of government. judges aren't elected and aren't subject to referendoms from a popular majority. Imagine the hell that would have broke loose if they had gotten the second amendment ruling wrong.
People also want to ignore the constitution's mantra of "LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

Liberals seem to favor the constitution when it comes to privacy and wiretapping laws only. Otherwise, it's all negotiable. Guns, hate speech, right to life, etc.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 AM

654 posts, read 1,210,501 times
Roe v. Wade SHOULD be overturned.

It is a state issue, not a federal one.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 AM

I'm not going to get into an abortion argument here, but the definition of "life" is incredibly broad depending on science and your religious beliefs. If YOU believe it is a life, then don't have an abortion.

It's incredibly easy for men to just scream and kick since it involves something that can never, ever happen to them. These will usually be the same people screaming about people on welfare collecting money for children out of wedlock.

This is a major voting issue for me, as I think it determines as a whole a candidates view on women's rights and treatment of women.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 AM

654 posts, read 1,210,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Shifting from "maverick" to same ol' Republican. Another old white guy who wants to control women. Great.

Another liberal who wants to murder the defenseless for convenience. Terrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections