U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:10 PM

149 posts, read 145,947 times

Advertisements

The Tire-Gauge Solution: No Joke - TIME

Quote:
How out of touch is Barack Obama? He's so out of touch that he suggested that if all Americans inflated their tires properly and took their cars for regular tune-ups, they could save as much oil as new offshore drilling would produce. Gleeful Republicans have made this their daily talking point; Rush Limbaugh is having a field day; and the Republican National Committee is sending tire gauges labeled "Barack Obama's Energy Plan" to Washington reporters.

But who's really out of touch? The Bush Administration estimates that expanded offshore drilling could increase oil production by 200,000 bbl. per day by 2030. We use about 20 million bbl. per day, so that would meet about 1% of our demand two decades from now. Meanwhile, efficiency experts say that keeping tires inflated can improve gas mileage 3%, and regular maintenance can add another 4%. Many drivers already follow their advice, but if everyone did, we could immediately reduce demand several percentage points. In other words: Obama is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:47 PM

27,903 posts, read 33,459,119 times
The est. of getting "everyone" to do it is improbable...if not impossible.

People still use incandescent bulbs and drive 80 mph in large SUV's by themselves on the highway....we aren't in an energy crisis if you check your average Americans practices.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,706,618 times
good then no one should complain. put on a happy smile as you buy ur gas

Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,903,586 times
It's not a joke, it's practical, however it's not policy. It's something everyone should do at home - if they want.

It's not a government solution to a national problem, it's a government policy of using aspirin to cure cancer.

The solution is simple - PLAN, make the shift from gas to alternative energy, wind, solar, fuel cells in 30 years but in the mean time, conserve gas (carpool, bike, walk, public transport, regulate better mileage in new cars) and shift to self-dependancy. Purchase gas from outside the middle east (Brazil, Canada for the next 10 years), drill which will provide for the next 30 years, which will ease the transition from a gas guzzling nation to a clean energy nation.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:17 AM

3,242 posts, read 3,024,661 times
Your right duke, I mean how long does it take to check your tyres?
In the UK gas is over $10 a gallon we have no problem checking ours.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,098,398 times
Id like to know where Time measured the % of how many vehicles in America are not regularly tuned up. How don't have the correct tire pressure.

On top of that the rep don't just want to expand off shore but start using Anwr and CO this article is nothing but bent facts again.

Quote:
[SIZE=2]TOP 10 REASONS TO SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT IN ANWR
1. Only 8% of ANWR Would Be Considered for Exploration Only the 1.5 million acre or 8% on the northern coast of ANWR is being considered for development. The remaining 17.5 million acres or 92% of ANWR will remain permanently closed to any kind of development. If oil is discovered, less than 2000 acres of the over 1.5 million acres of the Coastal Plain would be affected. Thatıs less than half of one percent of ANWR that would be affected by production activity.

2. Revenues to the State and Federal Treasury Federal revenues would be enhanced by billions of dollars from bonus bids, lease rentals, royalties and taxes. Estimates on bonus bids for ANWR by the Office of Management and Budget and the Department of Interior for the first 5 years after Congressional approval are 4.2 billion dollars.

3. Jobs To Be Created Between 250,000 and 735,000 ANWR jobs are estimated to be created by development of the Coastal Plain.

4. Economic Impact Between 1977 and 2004, North Slope oil field development and production activity contributed over $50 billion to the nations economy, directly impacting each state in the union.

5. America's Best Chance for a Major Discovery The Coastal Plain of ANWR is America's best possibility for the discovery of another giant "Prudhoe Bay-sized" oil and gas discovery in North America. U.S. Department of Interior estimates range from 9 to 16 billion barrels of recoverable oil.

6. North Slope Production in Decline The North Slope oil fields currently provide the U.S. with nearly 16% of it's domestic production and since 1988 this production has been on the decline. Peak production was reached in 1980 of two million barrels a day, but has been declining to a current level of 943,000 barrels a day.

7. Imported Oil Too Costly In 2004 the US imported an average of 58% of its oil and during certain months up to 64%. That equates to over $150 billion in oil imports and over $170 billion including refined petroleum products. Thatıs $19.9 million dollars an hour! Including defence costs the number would be nearly a trillion dollars.

8. No Negative Impact on Animals Oil and gas development and wildlife are successfully coexisting in Alaska 's arctic. For example, the Central Arctic Caribou Herd (CACH) which migrates through Prudhoe Bay has grown from 3000 animals to its current level of 32,000 animals. The arctic oil fields have very healthy brown bear, fox and bird populations equal to their surrounding areas.

9. Arctic Technology Advanced technology has greatly reduced the 'footprint" of arctic oil development. If Prudhoe Bay were built today, the footprint would be 1,526 acres, 64% smaller.

10. Alaskans Support More than 75% of Alaskans favor exploration and production in ANWR. The Inupiat Eskimos who live in and near ANWR support onshore oil development on the Coastal Plain.
[/SIZE]
Alaska Oil Anwar (http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/alaska-oil-anwar.html - broken link)

Old 08-05-2008, 02:31 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,027,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
The idiots can laugh at Obama but it's a simple FREE/low cost way to increase gas mileage.

Do the republicans always need GOVERNMENT to tell them what to do???

Can't they think for themselves, take responsibility for their own actions?????

Do they ALWAYS want government to get BIGGER and pass laws to get people to do something so simple and practical???

MORE government???

Can't they make up their minds? Why are they so confused???

Old 08-05-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The idiots can laugh at Obama but it's a simple FREE/low cost way to increase gas mileage.

Do the republicans always need GOVERNMENT to tell them what to do???

Can't they think for themselves, take responsibility for their own actions?????

Do they ALWAYS want government to get BIGGER and pass laws to get people to do something so simple and practical???

MORE government???

Can't they make up their minds? Why are they so confused???
Funny I did not need him to tell me this as I already check my tires. Now if someone would try to offer good solutions that would be nice. Oh wait Pelsuck turned off the lights on them.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,027,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Funny I did not need him to tell me this as I already check my tires. Now if someone would try to offer good solutions that would be nice. Oh wait Pelsuck turned off the lights on them.
OH! I see! As long as YOU know then EVERYBODY must know! TYPICAL repug! Safely cuddled in their coccoon!

Did they turn the lights out on the people who lead you around by the nose? You NEED government to tell you what to do??? BIG government that republicans swear they don't want???

Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OH! I see! As long as YOU know then EVERYBODY must know! TYPICAL repug! Safely cuddled in their coccoon!

Did they turn the lights out on the people who lead you around by the nose? You NEED government to tell you what to do??? BIG government that republicans swear they don't want???
Who said the ans. was big government? The ans is for the government to lift its ban's or further off shore and domestic drilling.

Arrogant much? Maybe you post your opinion and stop tying to interpret and think for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or