U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:49 PM

881 posts, read 1,410,027 times

Advertisements

Obama votes for tax breaks for big oil, McCain votes against it!

Isn't that a shocker??? Obama gets MILLIONS from oil execs and then says McCain gets money from big oil, which is not true. But this is the good ole Liberal game of making up news about someone or accusing someone of douing what you, yourself do. Bill Clinton worked that very well in 1992 and 1996.

Check this out from the very liberal Yahoo news:

However, Obama himself voted for a 2005 energy bill backed by Bush that included billions in subsidies for oil and natural gas production, a measure Cheney played a major role in developing.

McCain opposed the bill on grounds it included billions in unnecessary tax breaks for the oil industry.

Critical of McCain, Obama quiet on own energy vote - Yahoo! News (broken link)

How do you like to know your candidate a bit more, Obama worshipers?

Shocked? I bet you are not. Face it, there is NO change with Obama. There only change Obama can bring is leave each one of you fools with pocket change. And I am in the $30,000 pay range!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 PM

27,903 posts, read 33,471,836 times
Ohhh he just "revised" his position....

The flip flop thing isn't sticking since both do it....

You got to stick him where it hurts...which is his record (see IL wondeful standings with it's economy)...... his unaccomplished accomplishments (2 passed bill's he sponsored since entering in office)...his inexperience (or lack of)....him being completely wrong on the majority of the important decisions he has had to make (oil, troop surge, taxes...ect...)

Old 08-05-2008, 02:03 PM

10,634 posts, read 16,233,215 times
Nope.

The Obama campaign has said the Illinois senator supported the legislation because it included huge investments in renewable energy.

I'd need the bill # so I can read the bill to comment further on his vote.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Nope.

The Obama campaign has said the Illinois senator supported the legislation because it included huge investments in renewable energy.

I'd need the bill # so I can read the bill to comment further on his vote.
Yeah, just like Obama opposed drilling until last week when his advisers told Obama to support drilling, as part of a "compromise".

Face it, this guy is a phony. My favorite Obama energy idea is to inflate tires to substitute fro drilling. See:
YouTube - Sen. Barack Obama's answer to meeting energy demands

Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM

10,634 posts, read 16,233,215 times
Do you have the bill number they are discussing in the article?

Did you read the Time article stating that inflating tires would actually SAVE MORE MONEY on gasoline than offshore drilling would?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:17 PM

Obama's Oil Spill
March 31, 2008
Obama says he doesn't take money from oil companies. We say that's a little too slick.

In a new ad, Obama says, "I don’t take money from oil companies."

Technically, that's true, since a law that has been on the books for more than a century prohibits corporations from giving money directly to any federal candidate. But that doesn’t distinguish Obama from his rivals in the race.

We find the statement misleading:

• Obama has accepted more than $213,000 from individuals who work for companies in the oil and gas industry and their spouses.
  • Two of Obama's bundlers are top executives at oil companies and are listed on his Web site as raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the presidential hopeful.
FactCheck.org: Obama's Oil Spill

Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Do you have the bill number they are discussing in the article?

Did you read the Time article stating that inflating tires would actually SAVE MORE MONEY on gasoline than offshore drilling would?
Here is the bill #:

H.R. 6 [109th]: Energy Policy Act of 2005 (Vote on Conference Report)

Senate Vote #213 --- Jul 29, 2005

Mind you: Hillary Clinton was one of only 19 Democrats to vote against final passage of the oil tax-breaks bill.

Obama was among the 25 Democrats who voted in favor of tax-breaks for big oil!!!

McCain voted AGAINST THE TAX BREAKS FOR OIL COMPANIES!

GovTrack: H.R. 6 [109th]: Energy Policy Act of 2005 (Vote on Conference Report)

Face it: Obama has nothing to offer, no changes. He is politics as usual, maybe even worse!

WHO IS REALLY LOOKING OUT FOR THE LITTLE GUY?? NOT OBAMA, I'D SAY!!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:24 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,603,415 times
Senators must exercise the art of compromise, or nothing will be passed. If Obama used his judgment to further his plan for renewable energy, then I trust this calculated move. Its how politics works: you must compromise to get what you want.

Its highly unfortunate that there are enough GOP still in the senate that we get stuck voting on a bill to actually increase or retain tax breaks to oil companies. How ridiculous! It would be great if Dems controlled the filibuster power so the GOP cant give out any more tax breaks to companies making record profits. How off base can we get??!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Senators must exercise the art of compromise, or nothing will be passed. If Obama used his judgment to further his plan for renewable energy, then I trust this calculated move. Its how politics works: you must compromise to get what you want.

Its highly unfortunate that there are enough GOP still in the senate that we get stuck voting on a bill to actually increase or retain tax breaks to oil companies. How ridiculous! It would be great if Dems controlled the filibuster power so the GOP cant give out any more tax breaks to companies making record profits. How off base can we get??!
Ohhhh... I see. So when it's to excuse Obama, it's a "compromise". But when Pelosi blocks a VOTE on drilling and other energy, it's all a gimmick, huh?

Hello??? 25 DEMOCRATS made it possible to give tax breaks to oil companies! If Harry Reid, who is now BLOCKING A VOTE on drilling, he could pusha vote to remove thes etax breaks to big oil. But is he doing it? NO! That is because if he does have a vote on removing tax breaks for big oil, then Obama will have to vote to eliminate the tax breaks, and that will end Obama's receiving millions from his oil exec buddies!

Of course Obama is FOR tax breaks for big oil!! Obama is getting contributions from big oil!!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:45 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,813,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
If Obama used his judgment to further his plan for renewable energy, then I trust this calculated move. Its how politics works: you must compromise to get what you want.
You mean like the kind of compromise Nancy Pelosi is so good at.

Quote:
Its highly unfortunate that there are enough GOP still in the senate that we get stuck voting on a bill to actually increase or retain tax breaks to oil companies. How ridiculous!
Lower taxes are good for all corporations.

Quote:
It would be great if Dems controlled the filibuster power so the GOP cant give out any more tax breaks to companies making record profits. How off base can we get??!
Yeah, it would be great to fill the Supreme Court with nothing but liberals too, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or