Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times

Advertisements

I have heard Hannity and Limbaugh rail on Obama for suggesting that we should properly maintain our cars to improve fuel efficiency. To put this in perspective, drilling would produce a 1% increase in barrels of oil per day produced in 10 years, while keeping your tires inflated can improve fuel efficiency by up to 3%. But I digress.

The problem with these measures is that republicans hate any kind of idea that would require them to change their habits or sacrifice even a little bit-- even if it's only checking their tires. They see it as "Anti-American" to take any initiative themselves. The same kind of sentiment causes them to froth at the mouth when anyone suggests our endless motoring and suburban way of life are unsustainable.

If the same jokers were around in the 40s they would have laughed off and joked about victory gardens, as well as food, gas and clothing rationing. Shared sacrifice runs completely counter to the conservative mind nowadays. Aren't we glad progressive community values, including the value of shared sacrifice ruled the American landscape at that time, instead of modern conservative values! It is time to elect someone who shares those community values and will do his best to help bring them back.

Obama '08!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
what community? the "global" community that most americans don't care about? I actually have been doing the things that "obama" suggested since gas hit $2 a gallon. any idiot would. tire pressure, speed, tune up, oil changes, and other things can increase fuel economy quite a bit. I noticed a 4mpg increase by putting in a K&N air filter. other things we can do, keep stuff out of your trunk. these aren't new ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I have heard Hannity and Limbaugh rail on Obama for suggesting that we should properly maintain our cars to improve fuel efficiency. To put this in perspective, drilling would produce a 1% increase in barrels of oil per day produced in 10 years, while keeping your tires inflated can improve fuel efficiency by up to 3%. But I digress.

The problem with these measures is that republicans hate any kind of idea that would require them to change their habits or sacrifice even a little bit-- even if it's only checking their tires. They see it as "Anti-American" to take any initiative themselves. The same kind of sentiment causes them to froth at the mouth when anyone suggests our endless motoring and suburban way of life are unsustainable.

If the same jokers were around in the 40s they would have laughed off and joked about victory gardens, as well as food, gas and clothing rationing. Shared sacrifice runs completely counter to the conservative mind nowadays. Aren't we glad progressive community values, including the value of shared sacrifice ruled the American landscape at that time, instead of modern conservative values! It is time to elect someone who shares those community values and will do his best to help bring them back.

Obama '08!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I already maintain my cars well. In fact, I keep an air pressure gauge in my glove box. My only beef could be that some will give Obama credit for this as if he was the first to think about it. And I've been driving fuel efficient Honda Civics for decades.

Car maintenance is just plain old commonsense and old news to me.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM

540 posts, read 962,709 times
Why do you present your figures as though that 1% and that 3% are in any way comparable? The 1% would be an across the board increase in oil supply. That 3% would only come from vehicles (only part of our oil consumption) - and it would only come from vehicles that aren't already properly maintained.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
I have heard Hannity and Limbaugh rail on Obama for suggesting that we should properly maintain our cars to improve fuel efficiency.
Stepping aside from the election for a moment, and looking at this from the perspective of a person interested in fuel conservation-- I think it's great!

They can rail on him night and day, as far as I'm concerned, because it's working. AAA has been following this, and there has been a significant increase in people asking their mechanic to take care of these things. Odds are the number of people who have taken a few minutes to check their tires themselves is even higher.

I don't know if it saves as much gas as drilling would create (I kinda doubt it). But it does make a significant change that can already be measured. Now that's a change I can believe in.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I recently added 5mpg to my gas mileage by doing these things and I'm such a dork about telling everyone about it--I save $100 a month.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:16 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:

Obama '08!
This is a really silly thread. We are voting for President, not for head mechanic, head chef, or landscaper......

Obama's comment was in line with the below common sense comments.......things that everybody knows. Obama is an airhead.

- Put gas in your car or the engine will not start.
- Water your flowers more when it gets hot. Plants need more water in the summer.
- Eat more citrus fruit because it is high in vitamin C.
- Tie your shoe laces or you might trip.
- Don't touch the hot stove.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 PM

540 posts, read 962,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Stepping aside from the election for a moment, and looking at this from the perspective of a person interested in fuel conservation-- I think it's great!

They can rail on him night and day, as far as I'm concerned, because it's working. AAA has been following this, and there has been a significant increase in people asking their mechanic to take care of these things. Odds are the number of people who have taken a few minutes to check their tires themselves is even higher.

Now that's a change I can believe in.
Conservation is great. But it is only part of the answer. Combine it with denying off shore drilling, ignoring nuclear, and ignoring clean coal and all you are left with in 10 or 15 years is us still being dependant on unreliable oil output in Venezuela, Nigeria, and the Middle East.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Conservation is great. But it is only part of the answer.
I agree--it is a multiple choice answer. That doesn't mean we need to choose all the answers--but we need to make multiple choices.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:23 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times
I take great care of my vehicle also. I'd like to know where they get these numbers that suggest were to lazy or dont care about automobile maintenance. To suggest that the increase in gas milage would equate to a 3% decrease in consumption while at the same time saying drilling will only add 1% to world supplies seems like alot of statistical number fudging.

Anyway while 1% might not seem like much on the margins it will free up supplies enough to get speculators to back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections