Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"I guess you didnt mind this, though: 'The Washington Times, September 14, 1990...The Bush administration yesterday launched an advertising blitz telling Americans they could fight oil shortages and high gas prices by conserving, while advising Congress there is no sign of price gouging by the oil industry and that gas prices are "not unreasonable." The slogan for the yearlong campaign, "Do Your Part, Drive Smart," tells consumers they can save more than 7 million gallons of gasoline a day if they keep their tires properly inflated, drive slower and join car pools.'

Political Punch"
Turning the election into an Anti-Bush election helps nobody. I also will say I didnt mind it, no...and you know why? Because I discount most of what Bush said since I think he is pretty useless too, so lets just keep focused on the topic at hand which is Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
erm, what america do you live in?
I live in the one where if you dont make even the most simplistic of efforts to keep yourself informed, then you get what you deserve...if you arent going to better yourself dont expect others to do it for you. Im tired of doing my part and having other people sit back and do nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Turning the election into an Anti-Bush election helps nobody. I also will say I didnt mind it, no...and you know why? Because I discount most of what Bush said since I think he is pretty useless too, so lets just keep focused on the topic at hand which is Obama.
This was 1990, Bush I.

The point I was trying to make is that the Republicans said the same exact thing, but you're complaining now that Obama's pointing it out. He's not spending a lot of money on a big campaign, either, unlike the Rs. He just mentioned it.

Is it just who's telling you that makes the difference? "Who's Your Nanny!"

Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
This was 1990, Bush I.

The point I was trying to make is that the Republicans said the same exact thing, but you're complaining now that Obama's pointing it out. He's not spending a lot of money on a big campaign, either, unlike the Rs. He just mentioned it.

Is it just who's telling you that makes the difference? "Who's Your Nanny!"
Nope, I still dont care to debate the past...especially not Bush I, he isnt running here, and it isnt 1990 with .99 gas either.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Nope, I still dont care to debate the past...especially not Bush I, he isnt running here, and it isnt 1990 with .99 gas either.
.99 was expensive them "[Y]ou're complaining now that Obama's pointing it out. He's not spending a lot of money on a big campaign, either, unlike the Rs. He just mentioned it.

Is it just who's telling you that makes the difference? 'Who's Your Nanny!'"

All that said (again), I dont care either. But it is interesting that you all dont mind hearing the same message, and much more expensively, as long as it's from the voice of your choice.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
.99 was expensive them "[Y]ou're complaining now that Obama's pointing it out. He's not spending a lot of money on a big campaign, either, unlike the Rs. He just mentioned it.

Is it just who's telling you that makes the difference? 'Who's Your Nanny!'"

All that said (again), I dont care either. But it is interesting that you all dont mind hearing the same message, and much more expensively, as long as it's from the voice of your choice.
Wow, you know me so well...Im 101% behind Bush I and Bush II

Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
I dont think people are all that dumb, I think they are selfish and are not willing to make small sacrafices...people know to check their air pressure...they are too lazy. They are also too selfish to give up their SUVs and cars that get 12-15 MPG....just my opinion, doesnt make it fact.
I see what you're saying ...

but at what point does selfishness that causes one's own harm, become stupidity?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I see what you're saying ...

but at what point does selfishness that causes one's own harm, become stupidity?
That is a good question that I dont have a good answer for.

But we live in a world where stupidty and being lazy has no negative impact on folks, and that only goes to encourage bad behavior.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
erm, what america do you live in?
LMAO! So true. That's like an American saying 5 years ago. "Give us some credit. We don't need elite politicians telling us not to accept variable rate interest only loans at a ridiculous % rate" Then comes 2007.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
Quote:

I live in the one where if you dont make even the most simplistic of efforts to keep yourself informed, then you get what you deserve...if you arent going to better yourself dont expect others to do it for you. Im tired of doing my part and having other people sit back and do nothing.
t206, you're missing the point. His message was not informational in the sense you describe, but relative to offshore drilling being a realistic solution to our energy crisis.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
LMAO! So true. That's like an American saying 5 years ago. "Give us some credit. We don't need elite politicians telling us not to accept variable rate interest only loans at a ridiculous % rate" Then comes 2007.
Well the sad thing is that people SHOULDNT need that, but sadly they do.

I just wish everyone would be a little more pro-active and responsible for themselves so we could all be a little better off as a whole. It seems like as time goes by, people care less and less about doing the right thing...even when it directly impacts their own quality of life. Its pretty sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections