Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Iraqis: U.S., Iraq close to deal on withdrawl timeline -- baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/world/bal-bases0807,0,7896348.story - broken link)
Two Iraqi officials say the U.S. and Iraq are close to a deal under which all American combat troops would leave by October 2010 with remaining U.S. forces gone about three years later.

If the report is accurate it will start the discussions up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:07 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Iraqis: U.S., Iraq close to deal on withdrawl timeline -- baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/world/bal-bases0807,0,7896348.story - broken link)
Two Iraqi officials say the U.S. and Iraq are close to a deal under which all American combat troops would leave by October 2010 with remaining U.S. forces gone about three years later.

If the report is accurate it will start the discussions up again.
If by "discussions" you mean the difference between McCain and Obama on a timetable for withdrawal I think this can only strengthen McCain's hand. Obama wants to withdraw troops unilaterally without thought for the consequences. McCain wants to withdraw troops consistent with the goal of a stable Iraq. Because of the success of the surge, which McCain strongly supported and Obama strongly opposed, it appears that McCain's goal is in sight. If both the Iraqi and American governments agree that a U.S. troop withdrawal is feasible in 24 months that is a testimony to the success of our endeavor. And when the troops do come home they won't be slinking back as happened after Vietnam. They'll come back with honor and with the gratitude of their nation for a "Mission (well- and truly-) Accomplished."

Old 08-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
If by "discussions" you mean the difference between McCain and Obama on a timetable for withdrawal I think this can only strengthen McCain's hand. Obama wants to withdraw troops unilaterally without thought for the consequences. McCain wants to withdraw troops consistent with the goal of a stable Iraq. Because of the success of the surge, which McCain strongly supported and Obama strongly opposed, it appears that McCain's goal is in sight. If both the Iraqi and American governments agree that a U.S. troop withdrawal is feasible in 24 months that is a testimony to the success of our endeavor. And when the troops do come home they won't be slinking back as happened after Vietnam. They'll come back with honor and with the gratitude of their nation for a "Mission (well- and truly-) Accomplished."
Sources: U.S., Iraq close to pullout terms - Conflict in Iraq - MSNBC.com
"Several cease-fires by al-Sadr have been key to a sharp decline in violence over the past year, but American officials still consider his militiamen a threat and have backed the Iraqi military in operations to try to oust them from their power bases in Baghdad and elsewhere in Iraq".

Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Senator McCain has no idea what he wants from Iraq. He doesn't know when the surge started, what precipitated it's success, and where the countries borders are. He has no idea what type of timetable or horizon, would be best and though I doubt he meant fully, one hundred years, he hasn't shown any type of clarity on the issue of what should be done next or when.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Senator McCain has no idea what he wants from Iraq. He doesn't know when the surge started, what precipitated it's success, and where the countries borders are. He has no idea what type of timetable or horizon, would be best and though I doubt he meant fully, one hundred years, he hasn't shown any type of clarity on the issue of what should be done next or when.
Where do you get you news?

Try to stop going to moveon.idiotsunite please.

If their is one thing that McCain has been steady on it is his Iraq position.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 PM

Neither Bush, McCain nor Obama have control over our Iraq outcome. The government of Iraq is playing political games with us at the same time they are manuvering in their own political environment. Again stayed tuned as the conditions of withdrawal get defined there and not here.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Where do you get you news?

Try to stop going to moveon.idiotsunite please.

If their is one thing that McCain has been steady on it is his Iraq position.

What is a moveon.idiotsunite? Thank you for for the consistent stream of comedy you provide.

"I salute his [President Bush] determination to make this world a better, safer, freer place," McCain of Arizona told the roughly 4,800 delegates and alternates gathered at Madison Square Garden for the Republican convention. "He has not wavered. He has not flinched from the hard choices. He will not yield. And neither will we."
McCain, whose own history with the president includes a bitter 2000 GOP primary fight, offered a robust defense of Bush's choices on the international stage, including his decision to invade Iraq and depose former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein."

Meanwhile...
“But I believe, Katie, that the Iraqi people will greet us as liberators.” [NBC, 3/20/03]

“It’s clear that the end is very much in sight.” [ABC, 4/9/03]

“There’s not a history of clashes that are violent between Sunnis and Shiahs. So I think they can probably get along.” [MSNBC, 4/23/03]

This is a mission accomplished. They know how much influence Saddam Hussein had on the Iraqi people, how much more difficult it made to get their cooperation.” [This Week, ABC, 12/14/03]

“I’m confident we’re on the right course.[ABC News, 3/7/04]

“I think the initial phases of it were so spectacularly successful that it took us all by surprise.” [CBS, 10/31/04]

“I do think that progress is being made in a lot of Iraq. Overall, I think a year from now, we will have made a fair amount of progress if we stay the course. If I thought we weren’t making progress, I’d be despondent.” [The Hill, 12/8/05]

"It’s entertaining, in that I was the greatest critic of the initial four years, three and a half years. I came back from my first trip to Iraq and said, This is going to fail."

"in August 2007, as the troops surge was underway, McCain told the Charlie Rose Show that the Korea model was "exactly" the right template for U.S. forces in Iraq. Only three months later, and on the same show, he completely reversed himself."

Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,534 times
Where do you get you news walidm?! Doze R Lice, nothing but lice!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
What is a moveon.idiotsunite? Thank you for for the consistent stream of comedy you provide.

"I salute his [President Bush] determination to make this world a better, safer, freer place," McCain of Arizona told the roughly 4,800 delegates and alternates gathered at Madison Square Garden for the Republican convention. "He has not wavered. He has not flinched from the hard choices. He will not yield. And neither will we."
McCain, whose own history with the president includes a bitter 2000 GOP primary fight, offered a robust defense of Bush's choices on the international stage, including his decision to invade Iraq and depose former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein."

Meanwhile...
“But I believe, Katie, that the Iraqi people will greet us as liberators.” [NBC, 3/20/03]

This is a change from what? Btw to bad you quoted Cheney and not McCain good going!

Quote:
March 2003 --- Cheney: We'll Be Greeted as Liberators. "Now, I think
things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi
people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators." [Meet the
Press, March 16, 2003]

“It’s clear that the end is very much in sight.” [ABC, 4/9/03]

Was this not the position of most right around this time?

“There’s not a history of clashes that are violent between Sunnis and Shiahs. So I think they can probably get along.” [MSNBC, 4/23/03]

It was rocky but are they not getting along know?

This is a mission accomplished. They know how much influence Saddam Hussein had on the Iraqi people, how much more difficult it made to get their cooperation.” [This Week, ABC, 12/14/03]

“I’m confident we’re on the right course.[ABC News, 3/7/04]

“I think the initial phases of it were so spectacularly successful that it took us all by surprise.” [CBS, 10/31/04]

how long did it take us to get to Baghdad?

“I do think that progress is being made in a lot of Iraq. Overall, I think a year from now, we will have made a fair amount of progress if we stay the course. If I thought we weren’t making progress, I’d be despondent.” [The Hill, 12/8/05]

"It’s entertaining, in that I was the greatest critic of the initial four years, three and a half years. I came back from my first trip to Iraq and said, This is going to fail."

"in August 2007, as the troops surge was underway, McCain told the Charlie Rose Show that the Korea model was "exactly" the right template for U.S. forces in Iraq. Only three months later, and on the same show, he completely reversed himself."

Who are you quoting? That is not McCain you are quoting in this last one.

You did put a lot of work ill give you that but you provided nothing that shows how he reversed his thinking. He modified it barely. He has always been stay the course then put more troops in and now finish the job.

Maybe when you can bring quotes that make since to the topic rather than this bull you will seem like the hard work paid off.

Quote:
"We have turned things around from a failed strategy of Rumsfeld, which I was the only one that spoke strongly against, to a new strategy, which I supported, which is succeeding.
Quote:
I think the situation on the ground is going to improve. I do think that progress is being made in a lot of Iraq. Overall, I think a year from now, we will have made a fair amount of progress if we stay the course. If I thought we weren’t making progress, I’d be despondent.” [The Hill, 12/8/05 (http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/Comment/ByronYork/120805.html - broken link)]
Posted from you it like you were trying to prove my point or something.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
I dont think Iraq is a big issue with many voters .

Economy ,oil prices those are issues but Iraq is on the back burner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections