Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I agree that he broke vows, but there is a societal acceptance that if you help someone abbrogate the contract, you are directly culpable. As far as as long as his sex life does not impact me it is ok, is not the issue. The issues are that he told his campaign workers to go out and defend him and his "family values" candidacy, when they asked for the truth, so he did hurt them by his infidelity. The next issue is that he was paying this woman out of campaign funds that were donations from citizens who wanted a candidate with his "values". The next issue is that he had the arrogance to jeopardize the Democratic party's chances to win the presidency in 2008. So yes, I consider myself to be directly impacted as a Democrat, even if I did not support his candidacy.

Oh I agree. I happen to think it is past time for us to start holding those who would lead us to higher standards than we have in the recent past. Our country is slipping down a dangerous slope of simply having no standards or values and it is showing up in every area of our life. The point I was trying to make is this bimbo wasn't committed to or "in love" with John Edwards' wife. He supposedly was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 11:17 AM

956 posts, read 1,234,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
And we have spent alot of time complaining about Edwards, but equal scorn should be placed on a woman who was willing to have a relationship with a man whose wife was ill, with three children, etc. The women in these relationships are just as much at fault in being liars and arrogant thinking their behavior would not have a negative impact on the people around them.
First, the woman in question was not at the time considering running for public office nor was she in the public eye. Second, it's clear that John Edwards has something that I don't personally see at all ... an obvious ability to pull the wool over some women's eyes. It's very easy for some women to be taken in by what we see as power and many women are extremely attracted to it ..... not to mention money.

We can judge her morally if we want to for a number of reasons, but in this case what she does really is none of our business. The focus here is only on the public figure, John Edwards.

Which brings me to this post..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
It just boggles my mind that people that have no relationship to John Edwards would care about who he is sleeping with? I personally could care less about who is sleeping with who unless it impacts on me personally. I guess that is just me.
It boggles your mind, does it? Yet you couldn't help clicking on this thread. And we all have a relationship with John Edwards.

Here's the reason it could impact you personally and it might have. As luck would have it, it won't. But this man had been a Senator representing the people of his state (granted only a 2 year term). In 2004 he then ran with Gore to be Vice President. While you may not care that he has no morals as far as his personal life is concerned, I think you might care if he has morals when it comes to leading our country in any capacity. And if a man has no personal morals, he is probably immoral in all parts of his life (hence the quote by Angelou). Remember he not only cheated on his wife, he lied about it. And he also sat in judgment of Bill Clinton when he did the same thing. So he is not only immoral, he's a hypocrite.

So then, even after he has admitted to his wife that he strayed off course (at the very least) and even after they find that his wife is incurably ill with cancer and must undergo painful and exhausting treatment, he still decides to run for President of the United States.

And you don't care about this man's moral code? His ego? His inability to put anyone or anything but himself first?

Now I don't care if the spouse of anyone on this thread wants to cheat. It's not my business and it absolutely doesn't affect me.

But had this man won the election in 2004, had he been successful in getting his party's nomination in this election, than it would most decidedly affect me and everyone else here. What if Obama chose him as the VP candidate and this came out after the Democratic Convention? He might have ruined his party's chances of taking over the White House.

But he didn't care .... because he had physical needs that overpowered everything else.

This was not a mistake, this was not a misstep, he is a grown man and he knew exactly what he was doing and to H*** with the consequences until they came along and slapped him in the face. He thought he could buy his way out of this and now that he's caught, he's oh so sorrowful.

That's why I care. Are you still boggled???

Old 08-10-2008, 02:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
First, the woman in question was not at the time considering running for public office nor was she in the public eye. Second, it's clear that John Edwards has something that I don't personally see at all ... an obvious ability to pull the wool over some women's eyes. It's very easy for some women to be taken in by what we see as power and many women are extremely attracted to it ..... not to mention money.

We can judge her morally if we want to for a number of reasons, but in this case what she does really is none of our business. The focus here is only on the public figure, John Edwards.

It boggles your mind, does it? Yet you couldn't help clicking on this thread. And we all have a relationship with John Edwards.

Here's the reason it could impact you personally and it might have. As luck would have it, it won't. But this man had been a Senator representing the people of his state (granted only a 2 year term). In 2004 he then ran with Gore to be Vice President. While you may not care that he has no morals as far as his personal life is concerned, I think you might care if he has morals when it comes to leading our country in any capacity. And if a man has no personal morals, he is probably immoral in all parts of his life (hence the quote by Angelou). Remember he not only cheated on his wife, he lied about it. And he also sat in judgment of Bill Clinton when he did the same thing. So he is not only immoral, he's a hypocrite.

So then, even after he has admitted to his wife that he strayed off course (at the very least) and even after they find that his wife is incurably ill with cancer and must undergo painful and exhausting treatment, he still decides to run for President of the United States.

And you don't care about this man's moral code? His ego? His inability to put anyone or anything but himself first?

Now I don't care if the spouse of anyone on this thread wants to cheat. It's not my business and it absolutely doesn't affect me.

But had this man won the election in 2004, had he been successful in getting his party's nomination in this election, than it would most decidedly affect me and everyone else here. What if Obama chose him as the VP candidate and this came out after the Democratic Convention? He might have ruined his party's chances of taking over the White House.

But he didn't care .... because he had physical needs that overpowered everything else.

This was not a mistake, this was not a misstep, he is a grown man and he knew exactly what he was doing and to H*** with the consequences until they came along and slapped him in the face. He thought he could buy his way out of this and now that he's caught, he's oh so sorrowful.

Ohh he's just a lawyer....

Do any of them have good morals?

Every president that has had a law degree had the same type problems Edward's does...

Old 08-10-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Ohh he's just a lawyer....

Do any of them have good morals?
Yes .... many of them do.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:37 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,807 times
The real issue is how the media ignored the factual Edwards affair while at the same time smearing McCain with what turned out to be an utterly false allegation. Who thinks they will be writing a story on that?

Old 08-10-2008, 03:41 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
The real issue is how the media ignored the factual Edwards affair while at the same time smearing McCain with what turned out to be an utterly false allegation. Who thinks they will be writing a story on that?
Why don't you write it? Lots of publications print freelance material.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post

There is no such thing as an honest politician... sorry to burst your bubble. All politicians are liers or they wouldn't be politicians. "I don't wanna be a lawyer Mama, I don't wanna lie" John Lennon. Lawyer/politician same thing.

What really boggles my mind is that someone would believe that there is such a thing as an honest politican.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Absolutely on point.

And if one's mind is going to boggle, let it boggle on this far more important issue!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How beautiful You are blessed for sure.

(and you're right about no excuse end of story, too)
While sex is still an important part of our marriage even after 29 years I would gladly give it up just to spend the rest of my life watching the sun rise and set with my beautiful wife. What we have goes way beyond the physical and although it is an important part of our relationship, put into perspective it is definitely not the most important part, not by far. I wish everyone had what we do. It takes work, commitment, understanding, compassion. It requires an ego that is just big enough to know that I am good for my wife but small enough to know that without her I am only a half of a very special relationship.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
what utterly false allegation was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections