U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Eastern Shore
1,827 posts, read 1,581,106 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Hmmmm, I don't remember the 10 commandments saying "Thou shall not kill unless the person is proven guilty of a crime. Then's it's okey-dokey".

And you're right, that's one reason I said "non practicing" and yes, killing a murdering pediophile is okey-dokey by me, in fact Id like to volunteer my time as the executioner. Any idea where I might apply or might that cut into the democrap base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Chicago - Bucktown
1,719 posts, read 1,475,658 times
Reputation: 852
Actually, I agree with you on the death penalty. I'm both pro-choice, and pro death penalty. BUT I don't use religion to justify my views or bash anyone else's. I am Catholic, and know the church doesn't agree with either, but I cannot condemn anyone who is against both because of their religion. (Also, almost NOBODY follows the tenets of their religion, whatever religion, 100%. It's next to impossible.)

Oh, and I am voting for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
7,235 posts, read 10,937,730 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no, but I was raised catholic, and I know what they preach. I am not saying that no one will vote for him, but I do know that many churches are probably strongly opposing him.
Our Catholic Church Pastor is much more strongly opposed to the current war, and the injustice of poverty, than he is about Obama and his stance on abortion. Go figure. I can pretty much guarantee that most Catholic churches don't discuss either candidate during Sunday homilies. Unlike evangelical churches, Catholic priests are more apt to follow what the Pope says, who looks at things on a more global scale.

Personally, I feel less and less aligned with the Republican Party and won't vote Republican on the abortion issue. They've lost all credibility on the "life" issue IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Uptown
645 posts, read 552,162 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Personal feelings, why kill the INNOCENT and not the GUILTY? ...and you're wrong, I am Catholic just "non practicing" but unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.
Au contraire, I do know what I am talking about.

Your stance is clear now that I see you are a FALLEN catholic, still wanting the last rites if in a dire situation, but not willing to make the day-to-day sacrifices. Hmmmm. Confession was too demanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Uptown
645 posts, read 552,162 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
And you're right, that's one reason I said "non practicing" and yes, killing a murdering pediophile is okey-dokey by me, in fact Id like to volunteer my time as the executioner. Any idea where I might apply or might that cut into the democrap base?
Depends on where you live, but State of Florida is always looking for people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM
 
148 posts, read 147,461 times
Reputation: 42
Well, at church this past Sunday, we received a document about what the Church recommends when there is no "acceptable" candidate, so its not just Obama that does not support all of the Catholic teachings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,076 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Most Catholics are Democrats. Catholics are also taught that divorce is wrong but they don't try to make it banned for everybody else.

You can not compare divorce to abortion..not even close.... plus a lot of marriages aren't even seen as legit in the Catholic faith. Plain and simple Democratic Catholics that vote for Obama vote for abortion. Which is EXTREMELY oppositional to the church teachings, despite what Pelosi thinks. If the democrats would stand against abortion, I would vote for one...maybe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Uptown
645 posts, read 552,162 times
Reputation: 200
Default You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebate View Post
Catholics that vote for Obama vote for abortion. Which is EXTREMELY oppositional to the church teachings
Catholics that vote for McCain vote for the DEATH PENALTY. Which is EXTREMELY oppositional to the church teachings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top