Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:59 AM

350 posts, read 653,550 times

Advertisements

I am a Roman Catholic and I would vote for him if I could. I agree with him far more on all other issues than I do with more of the same McCain.

I personally do not believe in abortion, but then I would never have to have one. I do think third trimester abortions should be banned but understand legally, that this is a slippery slope to embark upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
I am a Roman Catholic and I would vote for him if I could. I agree with him far more on all other issues than I do with more of the same McCain.

I personally do not believe in abortion, but then I would never have to have one. I do think third trimester abortions should be banned but understand legally, that this is a slippery slope to embark upon.
Third Trimester abortions are banned unless it is to save the life of the mother or for severe fetal defect.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:17 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It is next to impossible to find a doctor to perform a tubal ligation on a woman under 35 with no children.

That's NOT what I said at all. Read slower.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Third Trimester abortions are banned unless it is to save the life of the mother or for severe fetal defect.
No, this is a state's rights issue. They are currently banned in 36 states and pro-choice groups are fighting some of these bans as unconstitutional.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
No, this is a state's rights issue. They are currently banned in 36 states and pro-choice groups are fighting some of these bans as unconstitutional.
You're thinking of second trimester abortions.

ELECTIVE third trimester abortions are not performed countrywide except for health of mother or severe fetal defect.

Last edited by newtoli; 08-11-2008 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Clarified elective.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,935,966 times

Amendment to the Ill. Senate bill.

http://www.nrlc.org/ObamaBAIPA/SenateAmdt1toSB1082.pdf

Hot Air » Blog Archive » Infanticide, revisited

Quote:
The right hand column shows the roll call by which Obama and his Democratic colleagues then killed the amended bill - the bill that was virtually identical to the federal law that Obama, starting in 2004, claimed he would have supported if he'd had the opportunity.
(Jill Stanek and NLRC)

Barack Obama killed a bill in the Illinois State Senate that would have protected liveborn babies after they survived an abortion.
Again, Obama killed the bill.
Since that time he has frequently misrepresented himself on this issue.
Quote:
Clearly, Obama lied about his position. It’s no small rhetorical matter, either. His vote puts him on the extreme of the pro-abortion camp, so extreme in fact that not a single member of Congress would follow his example. Obama voted to allow Christ Hospital and other facilities performing abortions to allow live children to die

So, Obama the most compassionate One, voted to kill the bill that would provide medical aid to babies born alive after abortion. Can there be any doubt just how radical left this guy is?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
You're thinking of second trimester abortions.

ELECTIVE third trimester abortions are not performed countrywide except for health of mother or severe fetal defect.
"As of April 2007, 36 states had bans on late-term abortions that were not facially unconstitutional (i.e. banning all abortions) or enjoined by court order.[16] In addition, the Supreme Court in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart ruled that Congress may ban certain late-term abortion techniques, "both previability and postviabilityAs of April 2007, 36 states had bans on late-term abortions that were not facially unconstitutional (i.e. banning all abortions) or enjoined by court order.[16] In addition, the Supreme Court in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart ruled that Congress may ban certain late-term abortion techniques, "both previability and postviability"

Late-term abortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If this has changed, please provide a link.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
"As of April 2007, 36 states had bans on late-term abortions that were not facially unconstitutional (i.e. banning all abortions) or enjoined by court order.[16] In addition, the Supreme Court in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart ruled that Congress may ban certain late-term abortion techniques, "both previability and postviabilityAs of April 2007, 36 states had bans on late-term abortions that were not facially unconstitutional (i.e. banning all abortions) or enjoined by court order.[16] In addition, the Supreme Court in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart ruled that Congress may ban certain late-term abortion techniques, "both previability and postviability"

Late-term abortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If this has changed, please provide a link.
The problem is that you will need to open and research the wording of each state's stance on abortion law and how it pertains to each case after viability. First of all - "Late Term" abortion does not apply only to third trimester abortions, it typically covers anywhere from 20+ weeks.

While third trimester abortions are not BANNED in certain states, they are not performed electively. They are legal, but only used in cases of fetal defect or endangerment of the mother's life.

I volunteered at an abortion clinic in NY for over a year, and once it went past 24 weeks - we could only refer to 2 other clinics in the country, one in KS and one in GA that would both do elective up to 26 weeks. No other clinic or private doctor in the country would perform elective after that. If I have time later, I will get you the detailed links that explain this.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:10 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,088 times
Obama's abortion stance may split Catholic vote.

This is dumb. Catholics either adhere to their faith, or they don't. If Catholics vote for a pro choice candidate, then they are leaving the nest, and only identify themselves as Catholics in demographic surveys.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
The problem is that you will need to open and research the wording of each state's stance on abortion law and how it pertains to each case after viability. First of all - "Late Term" abortion does not apply only to third trimester abortions, it typically covers anywhere from 20+ weeks.

While third trimester abortions are not BANNED in certain states, they are not performed electively. They are legal, but only used in cases of fetal defect or endangerment of the mother's life.

I volunteered at an abortion clinic in NY for over a year, and once it went past 24 weeks - we could only refer to 2 other clinics in the country, one in KS and one in GA that would both do elective up to 26 weeks. No other clinic or private doctor in the country would perform elective after that. If I have time later, I will get you the detailed links that explain this.
As I said before, I personally think they should be banned in the third trimester - but that legally it is a slippery slope and is done on a state by state basis - that was my only point. Each ban must be very narrowly drawn, so that all abortions are not banned and, as you say, the woman can still get an abortion if her health is in danger or the fetus is seriously deformed.

To me, is a sad world when birth control is so readily available (in US) and yet abortion is still used as a birth control method, when it should always be the method of last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections