Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times

Advertisements

admin has 1 trick, commander and chief
need a war for that one to work
i already sent obama some money.
wow they went after edwards big time
unexpected. sometimes you take out the enemy
piecemeal, not all at once.
for all their shortcomings the hard right is not dumb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 PM

646 posts, read 1,635,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So...supporting democratically elected allies against a undemocratic Russia reverting to the ways and means of it's not so distant past is.....a bad thing?

Help me understand this mentality?

Why should advocating NATO membership for former russian satelite countries be a provocation for war?

Its one thing to support your allies, but its another thing to launch a war like McCain would likely do if he were President. He is going to kick Russia out of the G8. That's about the worst idea I have ever heard. You don't accomplish anything my treating a very powerful nation like Russia as a freakin child. Obviously its aggression towards Georgia is not good, Georgia did try to take back South Ossestia while everyone was focused on the Olypmics. This is a province that does NOT like Georgia proper. Georgia made a severe miscalculation. But that being said, the bombs being dropped by Russian planes on innocent civillians is awful too.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,532,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So...supporting democratically elected allies against a undemocratic Russia reverting to the ways and means of it's not so distant past is.....a bad thing?

Help me understand this mentality?

Why should advocating NATO membership for former russian satelite countries be a provocation for war?
First understand that we are not going to War with Russia regarding Georgia. It will not and should not happen. Georgia's proximity to Russia and US policy propping them up, places us in the sticky situation of antagonizing a Nation [Russia] from which we have much to gain and lose. It is provocation considering our Histories of mistrust. It would be a reversal to an era ripe with mistrust of the US and reverse any Democratic trends in modern Russia, as well as propagate the arms race mentality in a Nation whose primary export is weapons. Georgia's response to wait was sent and received and there's no reason why they shouldn't do exactly that.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:26 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,464,700 times
McCain Just Dying For War With Russia!

This statement is ridiculous.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:28 PM

"McCain’s critics and allies agree that his views on Russia are heartfelt and go back decades, to the Reagan years."

Old 08-12-2008, 10:30 PM

646 posts, read 1,635,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
McCain Just Dying For War With Russia!

This statement is ridiculous.

McCain has adopted a neo-conservative ideology which means: go to war, ask questions later.

Think about it, how many times have neo-cons called for war. First it was North Korea, then it was Iran, now its Russia. WHEN DOES IT END??? We are sick and tired of war and dead american soldiers. We don't want anymore blood on our hands. Its time to stop this cycle of war.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
McCain has adopted a neo-conservative ideology which means: go to war, ask questions later.

Think about it, how many times have neo-cons called for war. First it was North Korea, then it was Iran, now its Russia. WHEN DOES IT END??? We are sick and tired of war and dead american soldiers. We don't want anymore blood on our hands. Its time to stop this cycle of war.
"McCain’s current foreign policy team, including chief adviser Randy Scheunemann, are largely drawn from the circle of neoconservatives who backed the U.S. invasion of Iraq. To many of them, he’s a more authentic version of President Bush, whose public commitment to the spread of democracy, as they see it, was too often neglected in practice, notably in Russia."

Source (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080812/pl_politico/12500 - broken link)

Old 08-12-2008, 10:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,776,394 times
Where, pray tell, do you hear anybody calling for war? Perhaps the left-wing kook blogs?

There is a variety of options that are a little more than appeasement but fall short of war. You are looking at the extreme end of the spectrum as a starting point.

Are we at war with Iran? N Korea?

Stop wringing your hands in vain and let the adults take care of the problem.

As far as I can see, McCain for many years now has been correct in his observations and intentions of the Russians.

So you think if Russia were kicked out of the G8, they would be justified going to war?

A good article;
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12500.html

Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 PM

377 posts, read 682,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Honestly, I've been one of the biggest Obama bashers on this board. However, after listening to McCain and his hostile attitude towards Russia...I will have to think twice before Election Day. I was just reading that McCain would support a Georgian bid to join NATO...bad idea. McCain is coming off like a deranged hawk who wants to pick a fight with the world's other nuclear power. If that's his intentions, he can forget my vote.
I am glad you have now seen the light…

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-12-2008 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: off topic for this discussion

Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,776,394 times
Quote:
I was just reading that McCain would support a Georgian bid to join NATO...bad idea.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections