Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:36 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
In hindsight, McCain is the ONLY republican that could beat either Hill or Obama. He will get a good share of the indies and mod/conservative dems.

So yes, Bubba is right.
But doesn't this leave all of you on the far right disenfranchised? It's a pretty significant part of the Republican party who may sit this election year out, especially if McCain picks a VP that supports pro-choice as well as other issues more typical of democratic nominees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 03:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Nope, he basically said he's the better of what's out there in the Republican party. Most Republicans know in their heart McCain is a mediocre candidate. His flip flopping and tendency to go more liberal than his Republican comrades is why I'm really not that concerned if he wins. His antics will be more surprising to those that voted for him then those that didn't. If he wins and then turns around and raises taxes (and he will), provides amnesty to illegals, tax breaks for big business, etc. I wonder how his voters will spin it.
Being tied in the polls says what then for BO?

Old 08-16-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
But doesn't this leave all of you on the far right disenfranchised? It's a pretty significant part of the Republican party who may sit this election year out, especially if McCain picks a VP that supports pro-choice as well as other issues more typical of democratic nominees.
So it would be wrong if McCain was more central than Obama....We know Obama isn't remotely central in true beliefs no matter what he portrays.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Being tied in the polls says what then for BO?
Being tied in the polls against a popular war veteran that's rich, a white male, and doesn't have a foreign sounding name is saying a lot! Everyone predicted Obama would be a non-issue when he first entered the race and his opponents were thrown off guard. We all know polls are not very reliable but it's quite telling that McCain (and the Republican party) would have to fight this hard to win under such circumstances. Also, if Bush has "done no wrong" and has been an outstanding president as Republicans like to claim, why isn't the country feeling all warm and fuzzy about where the country is headed? Should be a shoe-in, right?

Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
I didn't vote for McCain, but I am content with him. Most issues I agree with. SCOTUS, Taxes,National Security, Foreign Policy, Abortion.

This election is too important to sit out. I predict a good turnout.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Being tied in the polls against a popular war veteran that's rich, a white male, and doesn't have a foreign sounding name is saying a lot! Everyone predicted Obama would be a non-issue when he first entered the race and his opponents were thrown off guard. We all know polls are not very reliable but it's quite telling that McCain (and the Republican party) would have to fight this hard to win under such circumstances. Also, if Bush has "done no wrong" and has been an outstanding president as Republicans like to claim, why isn't the country feeling all warm and fuzzy about where the country is headed? Should be a shoe-in, right?

The non issue comes in Nov.

Till then more up to date "most liberal" views to come from the Obama camp.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:05 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Being tied in the polls against a popular war veteran that's rich, a white male, and doesn't have a foreign sounding name is saying a lot!
By ALL measures, this should be a democrat year in the White House. Why do you think the pundits and the dems/libs are getting very, very anxious? Obama underperforms a generic democrat, he underperforms a McCain/Clinton matchup.

All the so-called political "experts" are scratching their heads to come up with a reason why obama is not doing as well as expected.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So it would be wrong if McCain was more central than Obama....We know Obama isn't remotely central in true beliefs no matter what he portrays.
Like I said, I'm not that concerned even if McCain wins because he's more a stealth Democrat than Republican anyway. I just think Obama is better on the morals front, is less polarizing internationally, and I feel more comfortable that what I'm seeing is what I will get. McCain is tempermental, loses focus and forgets things (If most companies have a mandatory age limit of 65 for their most senior exec jobs, I can't understand why we don't for president), will probably not make it through 4 years due to health, and flip flops more than any candidate I've seen in sometime. But anyone will be better than Bush, and I mean ANYONE. If you Republicans are all are so "moderate", I wouldn't be as turned off by the Republican agenda because I'm a moderate/conservative democrat. However, 90% of the posts I see from Republicans here on CD are very far to the right (big fans of Ann Coulter and Rush, ugh!).

Old 08-16-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
By ALL measures, this should be a democrat year in the White House. Why do you think the pundits and the dems/libs are getting very, very anxious? Obama underperforms a generic democrat, he underperforms a McCain/Clinton matchup.

All the so-called political "experts" are scratching their heads to come up with a reason why obama is not doing as well as expected.
The muslim sounding name enough is a huge challenge in our race focused, christian-based country. He is doing very well. I'm not sure where you're getting this impression about democrats being anxious. The Republicans are doing far more "attacking" and running poorly messaged political ads. Just look at the number of threads started on CD trying to discredit Obama. If only there was an efficient way to count them but I'm thinking they run 2:1.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:45 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:

By all measures! Lol...The GOP has record losses in the Senate and Special Elections, their own party says you're on your own in your District, they Endorse Senator Obama every week, goodness there's a new GOP member endorsing him at least once a month, the turnout is so low during the primaries most sites just counted delegates, there hasn't been a single story indicating voters are enthusiastic about their candidate, the Party Leaders say they have no identity, Gracious - they've called themselves Dogfood.....what measures?!!

I recall you saying you voted for Senator Clinton, you're probably just distraught because the Convention is near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections