U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 6,052,914 times
Reputation: 844

Advertisements

It is getting real interesting.

If the election were held today, registered voters would be equally likely to vote for John McCain (44%) or Barack Obama (44%), according to the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking update.


Gallup Daily: McCain, Obama Tied at 44%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 PM
 
29,465 posts, read 33,750,713 times
Reputation: 11104
Next two weeks will be intriguing as things gear up fully again. Notice the numbers. It was a drop in Obama and not necessarily an increase in McCain if I remember right. Obama down 2 Mccain up 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 6,052,914 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Next two weeks will be intriguing as things gear up fully again. Notice the numbers. It was a drop in Obama and not necessarily an increase in McCain if I remember right. Obama down 2 Mccain up 1
I wonder if the 2 books are making a dent? I wonder why if the information is a bunch of lies Obama does not sue for libel. I have heard that several lawyers reviewed the book and felt it was bullet proof. How could that be if it is full of nothing but lies?

Although I don't believe in character assassination this is politics. I expect it to get dirtier as we get closer. This is nothing compared to what it will soon be. I think they will talk nice and use surrogates to do the mud slinging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM
 
29,465 posts, read 33,750,713 times
Reputation: 11104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I wonder if the 2 books are making a dent? I wonder why if the information is a bunch of lies Obama does not sue for libel. I have heard that several lawyers reviewed the book and felt it was bullet proof. How could that be if it is full of nothing but lies?

Although I don't believe in character assassination this is politics. I expect it to get dirtier as we get closer. This is nothing compared to what it will soon be. I think they will talk nice and use surrogates to do the mud slinging.
He is a public figure and you know that and protection

Slander and libel legal definition of Slander and libel. Slander and libel synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
The probability that a plaintiff will recover damages in a defamation suit depends largely on whether the plaintiff is a public or private figure in the eyes of the law. The public figure law of defamation was first delineated in new york times v. sullivan, 376 U.S. 254, 84 S. Ct. 710, 11 L. Ed. 2d 686 (1964). In Sullivan, the plaintiff, a police official, claimed that false allegations about him appeared in the New York Times, and sued the newspaper for libel. The Supreme Court balanced the plaintiff's interest in preserving his reputation against the public's interest in freedom of expression in the area of political debate. It held that a public official alleging libel must prove actual malice in order to recover damages. The Court declared that the First Amendment protects open and robust debate on public issues even when such debate includes "vehement, caustic, unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials." A public official or other plaintiff who has voluntarily assumed a position in the public eye must prove that defamatory statements were made with knowledge that they were false or with reckless disregard of whether they were false.

If a law suit was there for a presidential candidate Kerry would have filed one based on the original book about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
12,646 posts, read 13,625,606 times
Reputation: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Next two weeks will be intriguing as things gear up fully again. Notice the numbers. It was a drop in Obama and not necessarily an increase in McCain if I remember right. Obama down 2 Mccain up 1
Indeed they will, I just saw an ad from Senator McCain stating he knows we are not better off than four years ago?!! And he approved this message. Wow. This is a 180 from what he said before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2008, 04:42 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,626 posts, read 14,007,730 times
Reputation: 18674
Lets face it, neither one is my CHOICE...but McCain is certainly the lessor of the evils.

At my age I hate to say it has come down to voting for the least offensive, but I KNOW I am truly afraid of Obama and his inexperience being in charge. I have not been impressed in the people he has spent the past 20 years surrounding himself with and leaning on for advice, and have no delusions about him all of a sudden being more judicial in his choice of cronnies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2008, 04:44 AM
 
571 posts, read 768,273 times
Reputation: 58
Guys go by average polls rnt perfect but the average is ussaly correct.

and the other thing is DONT LISTEN 2 PULLS UNTILL THE DEBATES START THEY ARE POINTLESS.

Last edited by .....think; 08-16-2008 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2008, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Boise
4,425 posts, read 5,146,173 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Lets face it, neither one is my CHOICE...but McCain is certainly the lessor of the evils.

At my age I hate to say it has come down to voting for the least offensive, but I KNOW I am truly afraid of Obama and his inexperience being in charge. I have not been impressed in the people he has spent the past 20 years surrounding himself with and leaning on for advice, and have no delusions about him all of a sudden being more judicial in his choice of cronnies.
well at your age.. you're welcomed to your views.. but this election is going to not be so much about your age group and more about young first time voters who are sick of the same old rich white guy crap...
somewhere in the middle is where the results will fall... whoever gets the 51% it tilts toward will be the next president... we are going to continue to be a divided country thats for sure.. and everyone loses....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2008, 04:47 AM
 
194 posts, read 265,948 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
He is a public figure and you know that and protection
If he was really innocent, he wouldn't mind wasting money on a lawsuit he couldn't possibly win!

Sorry, brushing up on my Sanrenese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2008, 07:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,626 posts, read 14,007,730 times
Reputation: 18674
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well at your age.. you're welcomed to your views.. but this election is going to not be so much about your age group and more about young first time voters who are sick of the same old rich white guy crap...
somewhere in the middle is where the results will fall... whoever gets the 51% it tilts toward will be the next president... we are going to continue to be a divided country thats for sure.. and everyone loses....
Time will tell grasshopper...remember that it is the people MY age that actually drag their a** out of bed and go and vote in elections past...lets see if all your talkers actually carry thru and get out of bed, off the sofa and take the bus down to actually take the time to vote.

Historically, it is those of us that are over the age of 40 that are much more inclined to take the time to actually register and vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top