Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,008,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh please. They have nothing but disdain for Mccain and his service, as well as the military in general. They are vicious haters. These are the same people that rejoiced at the news that Tony Snow had died. They are the pond scum of humanity.
"Now, this is a very touching story, if true. By writing this diary, I in no way want to demean the service of McCain to the United States. I do, however, question the use of his service for political gain, but that's a topic for another diary." - Daily Kos

P.S.
...McCain said the decades-old conflict should be left in the past.
“I’m sick and tired of re-fighting the Vietnam War. And most importantly, I’m sick and tired of opening the wounds of the Vietnam War, which I’ve spent the last 30 years trying to heal,” the Arizona Republican said at a lunch with USA TODAY and Gannett News Service. “It’s offensive to me, and it’s angering to me* that we’re doing this. It’s time to move on.”
[several examples are given, then, of McCain using his Vietnam experience over and over in advertising and in speeches].... First, just to reiterate, there’s nothing wrong with a war hero reminding voters of his or her service, but as recently as 2004, McCain was publicly questioning John Kerry for highlighting his Vietnam service, saying it was “clearly a tactical or strategic move.” One wonders whether McCain might be subject to similar criticism.

Second, in 2000, McCain said he intentionally didn’t want to focus on his military service. I wonder how he’d explain the shift, seven years later.
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com...ves/14003.html
* - my favorite part. I love it when little 5'7" guys get all belligerent

Last edited by delusianne; 08-17-2008 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: the littlest hothead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Regarding deflecting to Obama...I think it is part of this "story of McCain plagiarizing" that Obama people want to believe that McCain is pumping up his pow experience especially because Obama has such an empty personal story.
So, call it deflection if you want...I think it's part of the story.

I don't understand the question if I think it's an interesting story. If you mean do I think it's interesting that McCain stole the story from the russian writer...No, I would find that pathetic and disturbing. I don't believe McCain did it.

I would not vote for anybody that would tell that kind of lie.
No, I meant dont you find it interesting as a story. If it were a short story or a twist in a novel, wouldnt you keep turning the pages? So - arent you even a little curious?

And, come on, you know that if this were about a Dem candidate you'd be sobbing with delight at your deliverance!

Last edited by delusianne; 08-17-2008 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,776,394 times
Quote:
I do, however, question the use of his service for political gain
Oh. How convenient that would be for the left and his rival. No talking about his experiences, his service, his years as a POW.

Of course, when Kerry was their nominee, they had no qualms whatsoever bringing up his.....service.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh. How convenient that would be for the left and his rival. No talking about his experiences, his service, his years as a POW.

Of course, when Kerry was their nominee, they had no qualms whatsoever bringing up his.....service.
On a thread extolling McCain's experience, service and years as a POW that would fit. But this thread is about the possibility that he invented or stole a story.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:34 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,176,918 times
Default Same story reported in the old movie 'Ben Hur'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
This morning on C-SPAN's Washington Journal a guy called in and made almost the same observation - except he said he remembered seeing the exact same scenario in the old movie, 'Ben Hur' - starring Charlton Heston! Whew...
Really hate to quote myself (above) but this may have gotten lost in the flurry of postings.. So, has anyone got an old video of the movie Ben Hur??

It's just so hard to believe that a man of faith would have forgotten to mention that obviously incredible and moving incident..

(I've never heard that *apparently*, oft-told by-others story).

Old 08-18-2008, 01:50 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,601,588 times
Obama wrote a book about his daddy, you know the goat herder who he quoted many times.

But then again, he never met his Daddy.

What is it with his lying? Making up stories.

Dreams of his father, wow, what dreams did you have Barrack? The fact that your daddy was in the corrupt government of his country and punished people for not following his ways?

Some of you do not even know what plagiarize means because most liberals only buy books with crayon markings in them. Or the ones they hand out for free.

Still no proof of these false accusations. Oh well.

Poor little Obamanesians are fighting with everything they have because they know the little boy who couldnt talk FAILED his test.

What a leader, good thing he didnt have to make a quick decision last night. My goodness, and granny was in bed to ask her.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:51 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,818,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Obama wrote a book about his daddy, you know the goat herder who he quoted many times.

But then again, he never met his Daddy.

What is it with his lying? Making up stories.

Dreams of his father, wow, what dreams did you have Barrack? The fact that your daddy was in the corrupt government of his country and punished people for not following his ways?

Some of you do not even know what plagiarize means because most liberals only buy books with crayon markings in them. Or the ones they hand out for free.

Still no proof of these false accusations. Oh well.

Poor little Obamanesians are fighting with everything they have because they know the little boy who couldnt talk FAILED his test.

What a leader, good thing he didnt have to make a quick decision last night. My goodness, and granny was in bed to ask her.
If McCain gets caught plagiarizing will you still feel the same way?

Those are some pretty strong, and unfounded, claims against Obama; if the opposite was actually found to be true, that McCain was making up stories, would you actually switch sides based on your personal vindications?

If not, what was the purpose of your last post?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Really hate to quote myself (above) but this may have gotten lost in the flurry of postings.. So, has anyone got an old video of the movie Ben Hur??

It's just so hard to believe that a man of faith would have forgotten to mention that obviously incredible and moving incident..

(I've never heard that *apparently*, oft-told by-others story).
I've never seen Ben Hur, but the original post that opened this entire can of worms posted by rickrocket at Daily Kos I believe is the original Ben Hur connection.
I was watching the forum last night and decided that since I hadn't eaten yet, I would try to listen to John McCain speak. I was doing OK with the "my friends" and the evil chuckle when I heard him talk about his POW story of the cross in the dirt. That was when I couldn't take it anymore.
It just sounded so fake and so contrived, so I did a little research about it. Someone on here said it sounded like a scene from Ben-Hur, so I did a google search about Ben-Hur and cross in the sand and such. No dice. But I searched around a little bit more and here is what I found. A story about Alexander Solzhenitsyn from his times in the Soviet Gulags.
Then s/he quotes the relevant piece of The Gulag Archipelago.
So, it is very interesting that Mr. Solzhenitsyn and Mr. McCain had the same Christian guard/prisoner experience. Or maybe it is all just a made up story. Somehow I doubt that Alexander Solzhenitsyn heard John McCain's story and copied it.
UPDATE X2: It seems that McCain is a bit of a Solzhenitsyn fan, as evidenced in his article in the NY Sun here. Thanks to Turing for the link.
Looking at Google this morning I dont see that anyone has made a further Ben Hur connection, yet. But it's not impossible that the vignette appears in the heavily Christian book (Ben-Hur: A Story of the Christ) published in 1880. I'd guess it would have made it into the movie, it's certainly cinematic.

In this thread a poster points out that the story is an old one, even 2000 years old, set all around the world in religiously repressed locations (which lends the story its poignancy).

Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,884,092 times
I have no doubt McCain was a practicing christian while a POW. Isn't that the norm that people in prison find faith to be something that offers them hope and a future. The question that is often asked is the followup after they find freedom? Do they actively practice that faith and the tenets of or do they do things that are contrary to the tenets of the faith they held so dear while imprisoned. What are there immediate activities after finding freedom. Do they retain their committment to faith and keep the vows they made under that religion?

Now does McCain meet that profile and that test? That ought to be the question not whether a guard really drew a cross in the sand.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,059,928 times
I have a really odd question. In the adoption story, he said Cindy was presented with two children who were not going to live and she brought one home. What happened to the other child? I just found it a disturbing story. Lovely that they adopted a child, just wondered what happened to the other one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections