Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,321,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
I'm in the navy right now and there is a big difference between a O6 and a O6 who is in the field with a major command under his belt. Like a O6 aviator doing a major command,would be in the pipeline for Command of a Carrier or Command of a AIRWING. He had neither and choose to retire. Why would you retire if you were gonna have one of the 2 above things when you would have a great shot of making FLAG. When most guys retire at that level they know there chances of making it were slim. He is running on a platfom that says he knows how to make decision, the navy choosing not to giveim major command in my opnion makes that argument look weak. Did he improve when he was senate. Well Wesely Clark already debuked those theorys. Back to my orginal idea. He could release his ranking with his fellow peers up the foodchain, and that would answer my questions.

BTW I have around 9 years in navy and have served on a few staffs where I have worked for 2 stars, and CAG's and DCAG's so I know a little of what I'm talking about when it comes to the navy.
-------------

You do know what your talking about .
Just in my particular case I think Mccains records are private but yes you know what your saying.

Air force is the way to go lol. Have you ever seen Air Force barracks ? they look like hotel room's.

My first duty was at Camp Casey 2ND Div in Korea we visited Air Force further South and WOW what a difference in living condition's .

I never actually saw any Navy only Marine infantry .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,589,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Trying to tear others down does not build one up Barry!
yet the rest of your post trys to do this to obama. another hypo repug. move along

Old 08-20-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I was in college in DS and too old for Iraq. My father wanted me to get an education so I did. Had the military needed me I would have left school. I now own my own business and employee several folks and numerous contractors. It takes all kinds to keep America going and there is no shame in my not serving.

There is no shame in not serving but I do find tad hypocrite the Rush Limbaugh type camp .
When people say my dad ,etc served and they would serve if needed they seem to be in that Bill Oreilly- Rush Limbaugh -Ann Coulter- Shawn Hannity camp.

Not saying that's you .
I wouldn't have served either if didn't need the money , "benefits" at the time .

I was actually a Rep till military than went Dem .
I just don't like Mccain being called a traitor by libs which is why was debating here but no less vile than neocon's mocking Kerry.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,375,970 times
Quote:
I'm a E6 for a little while longer than I will be out. Like I said in above post, I have served on battle staffs and I know a lot of officers up the food chain. They talk to us about how there system works for advancement VS the enlisted system. So these are just things that you pick up along you way. There is nothing wrong with not getting major command, but when you are trying to be the president and served in the military long enough to retire, I think you have to have a answer for why. Now if had chose not to run on being in charge and using his naval service for more than it really was I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the fact that you never had major command irks me. If Obama was running on a campaign about something he didn't have it would bother me. Truth of the matter I'm more of a dennis Kucinich fan anyway and I will be writing him in on my ballot.
Being retired AF (24 1/2 yrs) will give you that you know more about the Navy perhaps, but here is a statement that might answer your original question.

Around the end of 1980, McCain decided to retire from the Navy.[190] He had not been given a major sea command,[191] and his physical condition had deteriorated, causing him to fail the flight physical required for any carrier command position.[192] McCain thought he might make rear admiral, but probably not vice admiral, and never become a four-star admiral as his grandfather and father had been.[191] McCain later wrote that he did not anguish over his decision;[190] he was excited by the idea of being a member of Congress himself[183] and was soon recruiting a campaign manager that Cohen knew, for a planned run at a House seat from Arizona.[58] In early 1981, Secretary of the Navy John F. Lehman told McCain that he was about to be selected for one-star rear admiral, but McCain declined, telling Lehman that he could "do more good" in Congress.[183]

He also served as the Navy Liaision to the US Senate starting in 1977. I doubt that he has anything too unfavorable for you (or anyone else) to dig up on him than what he has freely stated in his book, "Faith of My Fathers". By his own admition, he was quite the wild one always bucking the system in his youth...but keep in mind that once captured, he apparently did quite a bit of maturing. How many of us could say that we would have given up the opportunity to be released from a POW camp, instead insisting that those who had been there longer or hurt worst be released first???? He even served in solitary confinment as a POW for his stubborn attitude and refusing to repatration.
THAT is CHARACTER!
Once home, he dealt with years of physicial therapy to overcome the injuried he sustained both as a POW and in his crash that lead to capture. Per General Day who was also a POW, he honestly did not think McCain was going to live when he was first brought to the camp his injuries were that severe. I can only imagine that these might have lead to his not being available for the duty you feel he was passed over for...specially since he started serving as the USN Liaison to the Senate in 77.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:45 PM

835 posts, read 1,317,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
yet the rest of your post trys to do this to obama. another hypo repug. move along
Making fun of the facts is not trying to tear one down...it is pointing out the obvious. Keep on trying!? I am getting so much enjoyment out of your meltdown so keep it up. You'll need to try harder as I am artifice. Liberal back talk, doom and gloom, attacks and fear may work on the less educated but not on me as I have a larger understanding of how you work. I am after all the only Republican in my mom's family going back four generations and many are serving as elected officials. I however am my father's son and saw liberalism for its true colors.

Last edited by artifice; 08-20-2008 at 04:06 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 03:49 PM

451 posts, read 1,224,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Being retired AF (24 1/2 yrs) will give you that you know more about the Navy perhaps, but here is a statement that might answer your original question.

Around the end of 1980, McCain decided to retire from the Navy.[190] He had not been given a major sea command,[191] and his physical condition had deteriorated, causing him to fail the flight physical required for any carrier command position.[192] McCain thought he might make rear admiral, but probably not vice admiral, and never become a four-star admiral as his grandfather and father had been.[191] McCain later wrote that he did not anguish over his decision;[190] he was excited by the idea of being a member of Congress himself[183] and was soon recruiting a campaign manager that Cohen knew, for a planned run at a House seat from Arizona.[58] In early 1981, Secretary of the Navy John F. Lehman told McCain that he was about to be selected for one-star rear admiral, but McCain declined, telling Lehman that he could "do more good" in Congress.[183]

He also served as the Navy Liaision to the US Senate starting in 1977. I doubt that he has anything too unfavorable for you (or anyone else) to dig up on him than what he has freely stated in his book, "Faith of My Fathers". By his own admition, he was quite the wild one always bucking the system in his youth...but keep in mind that once captured, he apparently did quite a bit of maturing. How many of us could say that we would have given up the opportunity to be released from a POW camp, instead insisting that those who had been there longer or hurt worst be released first???? He even served in solitary confinment as a POW for his stubborn attitude and refusing to repatration.
THAT is CHARACTER!
Once home, he dealt with years of physicial therapy to overcome the injuried he sustained both as a POW and in his crash that lead to capture. Per General Day who was also a POW, he honestly did not think McCain was going to live when he was first brought to the camp his injuries were that severe. I can only imagine that these might have lead to his not being available for the duty you feel he was passed over for...specially since he started serving as the USN Liaison to the Senate in 77.

Thank you for posting this, This does help. Not 100 percent, but more than other people provided. This does provide a great deal on insight on who he is. My Main question for him and any other candidate, is can you make those tough decisions and live with them. His Character has never been questioned by me, I work with a lot of "O" who have great character, but they dont' possess the skills needed for command. This is not my opnion, as I'm not qualified to say that, but views of there peer's and there Bosses, and I feel McCain is one of those types of people.

But we can all agree to disagree

Cheers

Old 08-20-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
You do not have to answer to these wacko loons. Do not let them pull that on you.

They are like attack dogs and are in serious denial that they picked the WRONG candidate to run.

We know who the anti American party is.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that cannot be healed.

The so called wacko loons served . Typical Rush Limbaugh type responce .

Old 08-20-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
thank you for posting this, This does help. Not 100 percent, but more than other people provided.

By the way I am voting for Obama .

I was just sticking up for Mccain when he was called a traitor but under no circumstance will I vote for Rush Limbaugh's right wing GOP

Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM

835 posts, read 1,317,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
There is no shame in not serving but I do find tad hypocrite the Rush Limbaugh type camp .
When people say my dad ,etc served and they would serve if needed they seem to be in that Bill Oreilly- Rush Limbaugh -Ann Coulter- Shawn Hannity camp.

Not saying that's you .
I wouldn't have served either if didn't need the money , "benefits" at the time .

I was actually a Rep till military than went Dem .
I just don't like Mccain being called a traitor by libs which is why was debating here but no less vile than neocon's mocking Kerry.
Thank you for your service! Too bad you are voting for the wrong guy, but it is a freedom you fought for so vote on!
You'll need to add several to your list that went to college rather than serve-
Bill Clinton, John Edwards, Hillary Clinton (you mentioned Coulter) and Barry Obama.
I respect just about anyone who puts their own life on the line for the freedom of others. The military does offer some great benefits for education and training, but sometimes at great sacrifice. FYI Rush has given several million this year alone to help the military and their families so why are you bashing him? Hannity as well gives millions to the military with his concerts. How much have the Clinton's or Edwards or Barry given? Nada would be the answer.

Last edited by artifice; 08-20-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your service!
You'll need to add several to your list that went to college rather than serve-
Bill Clinton, John Edwards, Hillary Clinton (you mentioned Coulter) and Barry Obama.
I respect just about anyone who puts their own life on the line for the freedom of others. The military does offer some great benefits for education and training, but sometimes at great sacrifice. FYI Rush has given several million this year alone to help the military and their families so why are you bashing him? Hannity as well gives millions to the military with his concerts. How much have the Clinton's or Edwards or Barry given? Nada would be the answer.

Difference with your list is that they aren't a bunch of war mongering chicken Hawks like the typical Neocon talking heads with Limbaugh being the ultimate hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections