Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

"Above my pay grade" is classic government-employee/military slang.

Would you have preferred he leap in and frantically announce that he knows when life begins, as McCain did (thereby tangling himself up with his declared stance on embryonic stem cell research)? I think you would have said, "NOBODY KNOWS when life begins! How arrogant!"

Rick Warren asked him, "At what point, in your view, does a baby get human rights?"

To which he began his answer, "I think that whether you are looking at it from a theological or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity is above my pay grade." He continues on for rather a while, laying out his position as pro choice and why, and suggesting we look at the issues that create so many abortions in the first place.

Warren asked McCain, "At what point is a baby entitled to human rights?"

McCain answered, "At the moment of conception. I have a 25-year pro life record in the Congress, in the Senate. As President of the United States, I will be a pro life president and the presidency will have pro life polices. That's my commitment, that's my commitment to you."

(That actually reads funnier in all caps, the way it is in the transcript.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Too bad he didn't feel it above his pay grade when he voted to support abortion.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Too bad he didn't feel it above his pay grade when he voted to support abortion.
You mean, support the Constitution?

Old 08-20-2008, 04:36 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
he said it, and must live with it. just like mccain said bomb iran, and it was taken out of context for how long? people are going to take these quotes and run with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Above my pay grade" is classic government-employee/military slang.

Would you have preferred he leap in and frantically announce that he knows when life begins, as McCain did (thereby tangling himself up with his declared stance on embryonic stem cell research)? I think you would have said, "NOBODY KNOWS when life begins! How arrogant!"

Rick Warren asked him, "At what point, in your view, does a baby get human rights?"

To which he began his answer, "I think that whether you are looking at it from a theological or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity is above my pay grade." He continues on for rather a while, laying out his position as pro choice and why, and suggesting we look at the issues that create so many abortions in the first place.

Warren asked McCain, "At what point is a baby entitled to human rights?"

McCain answered, "At the moment of conception. I have a 25-year pro life record in the Congress, in the Senate. As President of the United States, I will be a pro life president and the presidency will have pro life polices. That's my commitment, that's my commitment to you."

(That actually reads funnier in all caps, the way it is in the transcript.)

Old 08-20-2008, 04:41 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
I know, this is another obama irrelevancy.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
he said it, and must live with it. just like mccain said bomb iran, and it was taken out of context for how long? people are going to take these quotes and run with them.
Why do you think that is?

Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
to win an election, you have to make them fear you, or love you. the left tried to turn mccain into the 100 year war guy, so the right is going to try to paint obama. they want you to fear the other guy. they don't run elections to win, they run to not lose.

Quote:
Why do you think that is?

Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
to win an election, you have to make them fear you, or love you. the left tried to turn mccain into the 100 year war guy, so the right is going to try to paint obama. they want you to fear the other guy. they don't run elections to win, they run to not lose.
A wise guy saying kind of a wise thing, who knew.

Well, Obama had better get busy and get on the serious offense instead of defense right away. I cant believe they've waited this long.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,696 times
Quote:
You mean, support the Constitution?

Abortion is in the constitution????? James Madison really knew his stuff!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,116 times
When I heard Senator Obama say that it was above his pay grade it was one more reason to respect him! No one on Earth can answer that question, it is above all of our pay grades!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections