Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times

Advertisements

YouTube - "Better Off" Ad

McCain thinks we are doing better !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
you can speak for yourself. I am much better off today than I was 8 years ago, but it has nothing to do with washington. more washington would just make me worse off. this ad is pretty stupid. the economy is crappy because of liberal spending policies, and conservative tax policies. that and a pointless war. someone didn't tell bush that you can't cut taxes without cutting spending. but this ad is dumb, because some are doing worse, and some are doing better. also, not really sure an idiot like obama can talk. 8 years ago he was pretty much unemployed wasn't he? now he's a multi millionaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post

YouTube - "Better Off" Ad

McCain thinks we are doing better !

Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
The quote needs more context. This is nothing more than a typical attack ad - we have no idea where he was speaking, the people he was speaking with/to, what the question he's answering (if there was a question) was, etc.

No flames required - both sides do it, and I'm not endorsing either candidate here. I'm just saying...

Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
Default ***

Gas prices are soaring, the economy is in shambles, the housing market has collapsed...who are you guys trying to kid ?!?! We're in two wars. [Afghanistan & Iraq]

Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
Gas prices are dropping again (and will continue to do so if we stay on the ball with drilling imo), unemployment is still very low, the housing market already hit rock bottom and is starting its ascent. This is just a cyclical downturn about to hit its upswing. This is an excellent opportunity to get in on the ground floor and make a little money over the next several years. If you did not capitalize on the last 6 years, blame yourself because it was there for the taking....just add hard work.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,446 times
I'm better off.. but overall america isn't now and won't be in the future with the direction it's heading. That is why there's such an urgency for change. Change as jmarquise says in spending and tax policies.

Ending the war would be another big step in the right direction.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:30 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Gas prices are dropping again (and will continue to do so if we stay on the ball with drilling imo)

I prefer basic economics to imo's. Gas prices are dropping due to decreased demand and the more than noticeable slowing of the economy (again reduced demand). You will not see any realization of lower prices due to increased drilling for a minimum of 5 years if that.

PS - let me give you a little tip. Oil is bought and sold on a global market. Price is determined by world supply and demand, not just additional local supply which is added to the overall pool. You may drill in locally, but that doesn't mean that it will be sold locally.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:53 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I think a lot of people are better off than they were four years ago. I personally do not understand a person getting a loan that has a changing interest rate and blaming their problems on the government. Our son got one of those and we told him he had better find other financing. He did and his house payment is about a third of others who have a house the size of his. Life is tough at that age. Our life was tough at that age, but it is just a fact of life and not the fault of the government. Expecting an interest rate to only go down is just plain "nuts."

Another thing that is "nuts" is sending checks to people when we are so much in debt as a country. Every person should take responsibility for themselves and stop expecting the government to take care of their personal finances. We don't need a redistribution of wealth as much as we need responsibility in spending. Should I have to pay more taxes for you to eat so you can spend your money on a car that is too big and a cell phone that is not necessary. I don't think so! I don't have or need a cell phone.

And what kind of idiot does it take to run up thousands of dollars of debt on a credit card for things that are not completely necessary. We don't need a nanny government, but we do need more responsible people. Learn to live within your means and stop expecting others to rescue you. Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?

This may shock you, but statistically our country is better off than it was four years ago. I saw the statistical comparison on the stock channel. I doubt we will be better off in four more years. Finances need adjustments every once in a while.

I think the key question here is will the responsible people be better off or will Obama give those who spend like wild and expects others to take care of them money that we earned. I will be voting for McCain.

Last edited by NCN; 08-21-2008 at 12:10 AM..

Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I personally do not understand a person getting a loan that has a changing interest rate and blaming their problems on the government.

I don't believe that folks are "blaming" government, just fraudulent lenders like the one's the FBI investigates:

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Mortgage Fraud

Of course instead of touching anecdotal stories about your dear children you might take the time to learn how deregulation allowed the mortgage debacle
that has resulted in the US Treasury paying out $3 billion to bail out Bear Stearns and another $25 billion for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Oh, never mind, I forgot you are one of those well informed Republican/McBush supporters.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:34 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
I don't believe that folks are "blaming" government, just fraudulent lenders like the one's the FBI investigates:

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Mortgage Fraud

Of course instead of touching anecdotal stories about your dear children you might take the time to learn how deregulation allowed the mortgage debacle
that has resulted in the US Treasury paying out $3 billion to bail out Bear Stearns and another $25 billion for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Oh, never mind, I forgot you are one of those well informed Republican/McBush supporters.
Who presided over this deregulation you speak of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections