U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 PM

3,256 posts, read 3,241,329 times

Advertisements

I was just trying to imagine how difficult it would be to choose a president if we did not have war heroes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 01:42 PM

12,647 posts, read 9,033,466 times
We've got plenty of actors, we could always select one of them.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:50 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,232,397 times
No some of our best CIC's never served in the military, unless you want to credit Lincoln for his 90 days during the Blackhawk Wars.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:30 PM

Thank you Winter, I actually prefer my civilian government to be civiilians.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,371,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Thank you Winter, I actually prefer my civilian government to be civiilians.

Mccain is a civilian. Are you saying because he was in military he wouldn't be a good Pres?

That's like some saying he would be a good Pres because he was.

It doesn't make a difference one way or another . Cheney wasn't in the military .

Would you prefer him as Pres over Mccain ? heehee

Old 08-23-2008, 05:08 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,652,729 times
actually you have to be a POW to become president. also being an idiot and crashing planes helps

Old 08-23-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Mccain is a civilian. Are you saying because he was in military he wouldn't be a good Pres?

That's like some saying he would be a good Pres because he was.

It doesn't make a difference one way or another . Cheney wasn't in the military .

Would you prefer him as Pres over Mccain ? heehee
I prefer that the mindset of the president be for the civilian population. I am tired of answer to every question being , I am a better American because I was in the military. Actually, because of the job we ask the military to do, there is a necessary tunnel vision that develops, so no , I am not all that enthused with career military taking on the presidency. A few years and out, ok.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 PM

13,462 posts, read 16,143,698 times
Quote:
I prefer that the mindset of the president be for the civilian population. I am tired of answer to every question being , I am a better American because I was in the military. Actually, because of the job we ask the military to do, there is a necessary tunnel vision that develops, so no , I am not all that enthused with career military taking on the presidency. A few years and out, ok.
Folks in the military generally make significant sacrifices in their personal lives. The compensation isn't all that great either, and the working conditions...

It isn't a requirement, but I certainly wouldn't view one who made these sacrifices in a negative light. All things being equal, it is a plus in my book.

It is certainly nothing to be dismissive about. If you like the other guy, fine. I always admire those who sacrificed and served. Much wisdom can be obtained from the experience.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:13 AM

1,827 posts, read 1,601,960 times
Quote:

But didn't you say just the other day that you walked the walk because YOU work for the DoD? I rest much easier knowing that you as a sand crab took an oath to defend the country from enemies foreign and domestic........oh wait, nevermind.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:19 AM

49,732 posts, read 46,833,795 times
no but being perpetually at war means you will have lots of friends in DOD and competence will be of little or importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections