Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:27 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/libertarians_favor_obama_and_other_looks_at_electi on_2008 - broken link)
Libertarian voters make up 4% of the nation’s likely voters and they favor Barack Obama over John McCain by a 53% to 38% margin. Three percent (3%) would vote for some other candidate and 5% are not sure.

Do you believe the earth is:
A. Flat
B. Round
C. I can take the earth and ______
D. None of the above
Obama is the exact opposite of a libertarian, he favors big government involvement in healthcare, gun control, and so forth. The Communist Party seems to like him, if that says anything. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And he supports gun control (the federal so-called "assault weapons" ban was included in the law the VAWA was part of), taking away the right of women (and men) to defend themselves. Take away their rights to make them depend on big brother, giving big brother more power...

Parts of the VAWA were struck down as unconstitutional.

Selecting Biden as his running mate was almost the best thing Obama could do to lose.
Just one more reason not to vote for the ticket. I am female and I am a shooter.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,830 times
I can't remember where I read this but there was a piece of legislation that said that in a state of emergency, citizens had to turn over their weapons and he opposed that. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,908 times
what a sexist bill. all crimes again ANYONE should have the same effort put into them

Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
I can't remember where I read this but there was a piece of legislation that said that in a state of emergency, citizens had to turn over their weapons and he opposed that. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?
No, after Katrina, the bill was in a state of emergentcy, you do NOT need to turn in weapons. It is called prtecting yourself and covered by the Second Amendment. You have it backwards.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,830 times
Quote:
No, after Katrina, the bill was in a state of emergentcy, you do NOT need to turn in weapons. It is called prtecting yourself and covered by the Second Amendment. You have it backwards.
Was it state or federal legislation? It stuck out when I heard it because I was surprised that Obama was taking the position of supporting people's right to protect themselves. I might have heard it wrong but I don't think I did.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:11 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,925 times
the vawa encourages false allegations as biden and the like put handcuffs and a warrant in every psychotic ***** in the nations hand. And when they extended that POS legislation last January you had that feminazi skunk and from washington state and her lez feiend miller muro tagging a bill on over the xmas vacation that completely sh1t on the constitutional rights of men.

Bidesn a fairy

Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
the vawa encourages false allegations as biden and the like put handcuffs and a warrant in every psychotic ***** in the nations hand. And when they extended that POS legislation last January you had that feminazi skunk and from washington state and her lez feiend miller muro tagging a bill on over the xmas vacation that completely sh1t on the constitutional rights of men.
Men have more constitutional rights than women do they......sexist much?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
what a sexist bill. all crimes again ANYONE should have the same effort put into them
I agree. There should be no discrimination in the law whatsoever.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:36 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I agree. There should be no discrimination in the law whatsoever.
According to Wikipedia, even the ACLU thinks this law stinks.

Various groups have voiced concerns that VAWA violates due process, equal protection, and other civil rights violations.
The American Civil Liberties Union derided the Act as "troubling", saying that the increased penalties were rash, the increased pretrial detention was "repugnant" to the US Constitution, the mandatory HIV testing of those only charged but not convicted is an infringement of a citizen’s right to privacy and the edict for automatic payment of full restitution was non-judicious in their paper "Analysis of Major Civil Liberties Abuses in the Crime Bill Conference Report as Passed by the House and the Senate", dated September 29, 1994. However, the ACLU has supported its reauthorization on the condition that the "unconstitutional DNA provision" be removed.[4]
In 2000, in a controversial 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court of the United States held part of VAWA unconstitutional in United States v. Morrison on federalism grounds. Only the civil rights remedy of VAWA was struck down. The provisions providing program funding were unaffected.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 08-25-2008 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections