Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:53 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times

Advertisements

Is this in any way possible?

Philip J. Berg, Esq. Files Federal Lawsuit Requesting Obama Be Removed as a Candidate as he does not meet the Qualifications for President (http://tinyurl.com/56shmw - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,577 times
this was already discussed in another thread....

Old 08-24-2008, 05:06 PM

139 posts, read 723,942 times
I can't find the other thread-- I think it is a few pages down.

I do have a question concerning this: was Obama legally adopted in Indonesia by his stepfather, and if so could this actually cause him to lose his US citizenship? Did his mother ever renounce her citizenship while in Indonesia?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:18 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
this was already discussed in another thread....
Sorry, shipm8 . . . just received this shocker today but I usually run a day or two behind. ! ! ! !

Old 08-24-2008, 05:22 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
I just did a followup so it is near the top now for you folks.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:25 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
We shall see. I hope not. That would mean Hillary would get the nomination.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmommy View Post
I can't find the other thread-- I think it is a few pages down.

I do have a question concerning this: was Obama legally adopted in Indonesia by his stepfather
You would have to look at the laws in Indonesia at the time. In many cultures then as now, adoption is cultural matter, not a legal matter. Suppose I was Igbo and my brother died. I would marry his wife and adopt his children as my own. My other two wives would welcome her and her children into my household and they would discuss the division of labor and who was responsible for what (ie child-rearing, meals, washing clothes etc).

This is a decision that I make in consultation with my wives and perhaps the village elders and based on social custom. There's no government involvement, no paperwork.

Quote:
, and if so could this actually cause him to lose his US citizenship?
No. Many Americans have dual citizenship. The list of neo-cons in government who are Israeli-American is long and distinguished.

Quote:
Did his mother ever renounce her citizenship while in Indonesia?
Not to my knowledge, and no one has ever suggested that she did, or that she intended to do so.

If that could be proven through a preponderance of evidence, then Obama would not be a citizen.

The fact that she returned unimpeded to the US suggests that she did not and no such intentions.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Is this in any way possible?
Yes.

Berg needs only to show proof with a preponderance of the evidence, not a reasonable doubt.

If I would be Berg, I would start by issuing a subpoena to Obama to appear for a deposition.

At the deposition, I would question Obama, asking specific questions, such as:

What is your birth date?
Where you born in hospital?
Which hospital were you born at?
Who was the midwife if not born in hospital?

and so on.

Since he is under an oath of perjury, I would then subpoena records from the hospital where Obama claimed he was born, or from the mid-wife who delivered him. I would then track down the doctors and nurses and subpoena them for depositions under oath, or the records from the mid-wife and her testimony as well.

I would also subpoena friends of Obama's mother and her family members, as well as the father to assist in pinpointing the time of birth. I would also be seeking records from Indonesia as well, and locating witnesses there.

Hawaii is organized as five counties based on an island or group of islands, and I would subponea their records for births as well as those of the states.

Hawaii had only been a state for 2 years at the time of Obama's alleged birth.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:10 PM

139 posts, read 723,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No. Many Americans have dual citizenship. The list of neo-cons in government who are Israeli-American is long and distinguished.
This is a bit off-topic, but I remember reading an article about international adoption of US-born babies. Apparently some US birth mothers select families from Europe etc.. I'm wondering if once those adoptions are complete, if those babies are still considered US citizens, i.e. could they return to this country as adults, as citizens?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:13 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,046 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if once those adoptions are complete, if those babies are still considered US citizens, i.e. could they return to this country as adults, as citizens?
No you can't. The adoption severes all rights of the birth mother in the united states. It is as if that child was never born to her. So a child adopted to a foreign couple would need to apply like any other foreigner. And Canada adopts the most US babies right now, mostly from out foster care system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections