Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would the GOP welcome Senator Joe Lieberman on the Ticket?
Yes. Senator Joe Lieberman represents much of what the Republican Party stands for. 3 27.27%
No. Senator Joe Lieberman would be a disastrous pick and would not enhance the ticket. 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,558,332 times

Advertisements

Everything else aside, would the GOP welcome Senator Joe Lieberman as the VP to Senator McCain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
Can't speak for the GOP, but I wouldn't have any objections.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM

I really don't have an opinion. Just haven't quite considered the ramifications. It would be interesting and he certainly has Senator McCain's ear.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:13 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,943,211 times
He'll at least caucus with the GOP after this election. He'll be stripped of his Chairmanship for speaking at the GOP convention. He's despised in Conneticut these days. Polls show he would lose to his prior challenger if people know what they know now about him. Good riddance. I cannot stand warmongers. He'll fit right in with the war lovin rednecks.

Dems will still make gains in the Senate . Both the Cook and Rothenberg political reports expect the Dems to pick up 6 or 7 more Senate seats.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Status: "God blessed us with a new free puppy 3/11" (set 9 hours ago)

2,141 posts, read 4,437,101 times
I would have to strongly object to Lieberman being on the ticket for his unswervingly pro-abortion voting record. This would cause McCain, who is currently ahead of Obama by 7 to 10 points in pro-life Missouri, to risk losing this swing state to Obama. Same thing with Indiana and Georgia which are slightly leaning toward McCain.

I WOULD like to see Lieberman chosen for any one of a number of Cabinet posts should McCain win in November. But the GOP's conservative base needs reassurance that McCain will endeavor to choose good strict constructionists for the Supreme Court (my chief reason for planning to vote for him come November); and if he taps Lieberman for Veep, the base will conclude that McCain is a crass panderer more interested in currying favor with his false friends in the drive-by media who call him "Maverick."

Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,943,211 times
God that would be great if he chose a anti-abortion rights VP.

You see, most Americans support abortion rights, and also 73% percent of Americans say they don't really care if their President's views on abortion rights differ from their own. So that would really show Americans what the GOP stands for.

Let's hope the the GOP purges itself of the immoral abortionists in their midst. To save the babies and and all that.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
I would have to strongly object to Lieberman being on the ticket for his unswervingly pro-abortion voting record. This would cause McCain, who is currently ahead of Obama by 7 to 10 points in pro-life Missouri, to risk losing this swing state to Obama. Same thing with Indiana and Georgia which are slightly leaning toward McCain.

I WOULD like to see Lieberman chosen for any one of a number of Cabinet posts should McCain win in November. But the GOP's conservative base needs reassurance that McCain will endeavor to choose good strict constructionists for the Supreme Court (my chief reason for planning to vote for him come November); and if he taps Lieberman for Veep, the base will conclude that McCain is a crass panderer more interested in currying favor with his false friends in the drive-by media who call him "Maverick."
I don't think Senator McCain has a prayer with Supreme Court picks. The Dems dominate Congress, and the GOP picks liberals every time. They can't help it.

Senator Lieberman may be ready to retire after this trip if Senator McCain doesn't make it....I doubt anyone bucking the trend this much, would survive their constituents.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:25 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,119,619 times
Aside from the war, Lieberman is a Democrat. That's where he really differs in their stated stands. What they do, on the other hand, is anyone's guess.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I don't think Senator McCain has a prayer with Supreme Court picks. The Dems dominate Congress, and the GOP picks liberals every time. They can't help it.

Senator Lieberman may be ready to retire after this trip if Senator McCain doesn't make it....I doubt anyone bucking the trend this much, would survive their constituents.
You view GOP picks Thomas, Scalia, Roberts and Alito as liberal Supreme Court Justices?

What is your benchmark for conservative?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Status: "God blessed us with a new free puppy 3/11" (set 9 hours ago)

2,141 posts, read 4,437,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
God that would be great if he chose a anti-abortion rights VP.
Let's hope the the GOP purges itself of the immoral abortionists in their midst. To save the babies and and all that.
Um, like, uh, you once were? Whatcha doin' next Mother's day, out of curiosity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections