Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times

Advertisements

I understand your aversion to increased taxes, but the mentality for the last 8 years has been to just put it on the card. We've been spending like crazy, and without benefiting the average American in the least.

I'd rather invest in technology that will increase energy independence and create jobs, for example. I'd rather invest the massive amounts that we spend on healthcare more efficiently, rather than funneling everything through insurance companies, paying the highest cost for pharmaceuticals, paying for emergency care rather than preventive care, etc. There is a smarter way. The massive ad campaigns, Doctors' retreats, skyscrapers, etc that the healthcare and pharm industries spend oodles of money on are proof that there's too much of a margin there.

Furthermore, while Obama isn't as much of a corporation cop as I'd like him to be, McCain is relying on a party firmly in corporate hands to get himself elected. That'll mean a continuation of the same corporate oligarchy that we've seen since 2001. At least Obama offers a slightly different tilt.

Furthermore, I never said business was evil. It's good! Money and profit are good things! However, the way things are now offer too uneven a playing field. I'd love to see an end to massive corporate subsidies for companies that don't need them and an increase in funding for small and medium businesses. SMBs help fuel a community feel that is lacking in many parts of this country, and they keep revenue local, fueling local economies, which leads to higher quality of life for communities.

I'd like to see more of that.

Obama isn't a perfect candidate in this regard, but he's said some things that make me believe that while we're not on the same page, we're reading the same book.

I have respect for John McCain, but had a lot more respect for him before he started running for President. He's been so busy pandering ever since that he hasn't stopped to look around and consider why he was ever considered a 'maverick'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Those "rich little girls" wouldn't be impacted at all. They would vote for nothing more than the fact that they think it's cool. It's a peer pressure thing. They don't know what voting "from their pocket book" means. Or even what an "issue" is. I'm not angry because they are against preserving my lifestyle. They aren't against preserving my lifestyle. They don't know anything about other peoples lifestyles ... let alone how to preserve it or destroy one. If tax cuts expire, jobs will be lost and everyone will suffer. Lower tax rates benefit ALL businesses. Even businesses that rent out Limos to rich kids parents.

If tax rates increase, why would I have nothing to worry about?
problem is.. how is all the debt accumulated by george bush going to be paid for without increasing taxes somehow? Your good ole boy of joy cut taxes and gave away the farm.. now you're whining about the possibility of taxes going up like the fact that our nation is going bankrupt isn't important or recognizable? We've had bush tax cuts.. look where we are... recession and layoffs...
what's next? McCain?
You know.. i almost hope McCain gets it.. because we are in such a crap hole position right now economically... that I don't want to give republicans the satisfaction or opportunity to blame it all on obama 4 years from now...
I want people to be damn sure who and what administration and its affiliation was calling the shots when $hit hit the fan...for many of you... 4 more years wasn't enough.. you're still stuck on stupid

Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
problem is.. how is all the debt accumulated by george bush going to be paid for without increasing taxes somehow? Your good ole boy of joy cut taxes and gave away the farm.. now you're whining about the possibility of taxes going up like the fact that our nation is going bankrupt isn't important or recognizable? We've had bush tax cuts.. look where we are... recession and layoffs...
what's next? McCain?
You know.. i almost hope McCain gets it.. because we are in such a crap hole position right now economically... that I don't want to give republicans the satisfaction or opportunity to blame it all on obama 4 years from now...
I want people to be damn sure who and what administration and its affiliation was calling the shots when $hit hit the fan...
I just want to know what this all has to do with Hip-Hop?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 AM

472 posts, read 872,067 times
Quote:
Those "rich little girls" wouldn't be impacted at all. They would vote for Obama for no other reason than that they think it's cool. It's a peer pressure thing. They don't know what voting "from their pocket book" means. Or even what an "issue" is. I'm not angry because they are against preserving my lifestyle. They aren't against preserving my lifestyle. They don't know anything about other peoples lifestyles ... let alone how to preserve it or destroy one. If tax cuts expire, jobs will be lost and everyone will suffer. Lower tax rates benefit ALL businesses. Even businesses that rent out Limos to rich kids parents.

First you create an arguement about how your against redistributing the wealth- fair enough... I'm against raising taxes for any reason other than attacking our national deficit. Now you shift your focus on how higher taxes will increase job loss; interesting to note that under Clinton economy 22.7 million jobs were created– 237,000 per month .. and that was with higher taxes while balancing the budget. In contrast Bush had only created 5.8 million jobs – 72,000 per month by October 2007. We could include 2008 numbers but my guess is it would be a wash.

Again... I'm not disagreeing against either principle. Higher taxes could lead to job loss. I'm not an economist... I vote with my wallet. I'm also a capitalist (I work in sales and marketing)... I need customers to be able to buy my products or I don't have a job. I'm just trying to decipher which thought is yours, and which is just a 'talking head' bullet point.

As for my voting pattern... I'm following the smartest guy in the room... Buffett.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:25 AM

ask yooper... I'm just responding to his comments

Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
My sentiments exactly.
me too.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Those "rich little girls" wouldn't be impacted at all. They would vote for Obama for no other reason than that they think it's cool. It's a peer pressure thing. They don't know what voting "from their pocket book" means. Or even what an "issue" is. I'm not angry because they are against preserving my lifestyle. They aren't against preserving my lifestyle. They don't know anything about other peoples lifestyles ... let alone how to preserve one or destroy one. If tax cuts expire, jobs will be lost and everyone will suffer. Lower tax rates benefit ALL businesses. Even businesses that rent out Limos to rich kids parents.

Who are these "rich little girls" you keep speaking of? Most of the snotty rich people I know are voting McCain...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Who are these "rich little girls" you keep speaking of? Most of the snotty rich people I know are voting McCain...
thats what I was thinking too... check out the voter registration in Orange County... there's your answer...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 AM

472 posts, read 872,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
I just want to know what this all has to do with Hip-Hop?
Nothing.... absolutely nothing.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
First you create an arguement about how your against redistributing the wealth- fair enough... I'm against raising taxes for any reason other than attacking our national deficit. Now you shift your focus on how higher taxes will increase job loss; interesting to note that under Clinton economy 22.7 million jobs were created– 237,000 per month .. and that was with higher taxes while balancing the budget. In contrast Bush had only created 5.8 million jobs – 72,000 per month by October 2007. We could include 2008 numbers but my guess is it would be a wash.

Again... I'm not disagreeing against either principle. Higher taxes could lead to job loss. I'm not an economist... I vote with my wallet. I'm also a capitalist (I work in sales and marketing)... I need customers to be able to buy my products or I don't have a job. I'm just trying to decipher which thought is yours, and which is just a 'talking head' bullet point.

As for my voting pattern... I'm following the smartest guy in the room... Buffett.

by definition, you are not a capitalist. You are not producing anything nor selling anything through investments of your own. You are just in sales. Other than your own labor, you are really not "investing" in anything. Other than paying income tax on your income, taxes will not affect your ability to do business as say a grocery store owner or a multinational company would.

One could argue that Clinton did create a lot of jobs. But do you remember what kind of jobs those were? Remember the thing called dot.com bubble? Where people had jobs that made no sense, but since company coffers ran so deep (for awhile) they were hiring like crazy? The economy was already turning south as Clinton left office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections