U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 AM

13,853 posts, read 6,772,985 times
Default News: McCain Advisor Says There are No Uninsured Americans

Texas still leads nation in rate of uninsured residents | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-Uninsured_27bus.ART.State.Edition2.4dce428.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM

9,047 posts, read 7,881,297 times
Bush said the same thing. Just go to an ER and you have coverage.

Hey, if that technique is good enough for the folks from down south of the border, I guess it's good enough for real Americans.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 AM

1,565 posts, read 1,649,491 times
Quote:
McCain adviser
But the numbers are misleading, said John Goodman, president of the National Center for Policy Analysis, a right-leaning Dallas-based think tank. Mr. Goodman, who helped craft Sen. John McCain's health care policy, said anyone with access to an emergency room effectively has insurance, albeit the government acts as the payer of last resort. (Hospital emergency rooms by law cannot turn away a patient in need of immediate care.)
"So I have a solution. And it will cost not one thin dime," Mr. Goodman said. "The next president of the United States should sign an executive order requiring the Census Bureau to cease and desist from describing any American – even illegal aliens – as uninsured. Instead, the bureau should categorize people according to the likely source of payment should they need care.
"So, there you have it. Voila! Problem solved."
Mr. Goodman's analysis drew a sharp response from the Center for Public Policy Priorities, an Austin-based think tank focusing on poverty issues. "That is not the same thing as having health insurance," said Eva Deluna, a budget analyst for the center. People without insurance are less likely to seek care, and when they do, the cost to the health system is greater, she said.
If you call it something else then it doesn't exist. Wow, how truly freaking pathetic.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:30 PM

15,402 posts, read 17,432,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Bush said the same thing. Just go to an ER and you have coverage.
I've known people who died taking that approach. ERs can and will turn uninsured people away.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:30 PM

4,405 posts, read 4,145,661 times
Grandpa said that Barack is out of touch with America since he's an elitist?
Really??????

Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM
LML

7,077 posts, read 5,192,623 times
That's like the time that Reagan ordered ketchup to be defined as a vegetable so he could claim that school lunch programs and programs that feed the poor were providing vegetables if they put ketchup on the table.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
LML

7,077 posts, read 5,192,623 times
I don't know why people think that ER treatment is free. While I was waiting for my insurance to take effect I had a gall bladder attack. I didn't know what was happening and it came on at a time when the doctor's office wasn't open and was so tremendously painful that I was forced to go to the ER. I was at the ER about 4 hours while they treated and diagnosed the problem. Cost to me? $4,170 which I had to pay out of pocket since insurance was not yet in effect. How is that free?

Old 08-28-2008, 02:15 PM

7,730 posts, read 8,596,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I don't know why people think that ER treatment is free. While I was waiting for my insurance to take effect I had a gall bladder attack. I didn't know what was happening and it came on at a time when the doctor's office wasn't open and was so tremendously painful that I was forced to go to the ER. I was at the ER about 4 hours while they treated and diagnosed the problem. Cost to me? $4,170 which I had to pay out of pocket since insurance was not yet in effect. How is that free?
Unlike most, you decided to pay for it. I know a few people who went to the emergency room and never paid a dime. Credit? Who cares. It's not like they're going to be buying a house they can afford with the proper papers. Oh, wait...that was two years ago.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM

7,730 posts, read 8,596,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Grandpa said that Barack is out of touch with America since he's an elitist?
Really??????
Between Romney and McCain, they own nearly 60 pieces of real estate. Could be 70. McCain isn't sure.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:18 PM

17,177 posts, read 13,095,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
It would have been if you used a fake name like the other 20-30 million that do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections